UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Bad Jon

Jan 29, 2012
Freddy Beach
Full props for Ryerson...they played with UNB in both games for 50 minutes. I wouldn't be overly confident about playing them if they show up at the AUC again in March

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Now that this is the last year for UNB to host the Nationals for the forseeable future I wonder if the Pete Kelly Cup will go back to being a true tournament like it was in its inception. Four teams play twice over two days. I know they did this for the old "Fall Classic" a few years ago.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Now that this is the last year for UNB to host the Nationals for the forseeable future I wonder if the Pete Kelly Cup will go back to being a true tournament like it was in its inception. Four teams play twice over two days. I know they did this for the old "Fall Classic" a few years ago.

Not sure if this will occur again - it's a big financial commitment on UNB's part for two games that don't generate revenue (the non-UNB games on Day 1 and Day 2). The team still has to purchase the ice despite the school owning the building. Add the cost of hosting an out-of-town guest and you may not break even (or two guests in some cases). Not having STU means you have to entice UdeM & UPEI to visit.

Due to UNB's relative strength in the league - unless they get a quality opponent like Alberta or Saskatchewan to visit (or an NCAA opponent) - most fans will expect UNB to win both games. If you get such an opponent to come, you don't want to play them just once.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
This Saturday's game vs SFX will be big. A UNB win will give them some added separation.

The difference is UNB's regulation win over SFX at the AUC. UNB had a great 1st period with the shots 18-5 and a 2-1 lead which they extended in the 3rd to 4-1 before SFX capitalized on two power-plays to make it close.

GF: UNB 1st (80) - SFX 3rd (72)
GA: UNB 1st (39) - SFX 2nd (44)

5 of the last 8 have been 1 goal games (3 of 5 went to OT).

GF: UNB-Home 5.75 vs SFX-Away 4.0
GA: UNB-Home 1.63 vs SFX-Away 2.56

My prediction - UNB 4 - SFX 2 (with an empty net)

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
That’s a tough loss. I know it’s St. FX, but they were playing with a short bench and played on the island last night while UNB was home resting...gotta win that one.

VRedsRule

Aug 26, 2008
Full props to X. Best team on ice tonight, gave UNB some of own medicine with constant pressure.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
X put on a clinic on blocking shots/getting sticks in the lanes. Doesn’t hurt either that they have the best goalie in the league, although I don’t remember
Marchand having to make many larcenous stops.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Some interesting tidbits after Saturday night's loss:

-This is UNB's first regular season loss in regulation time at the AUC since falling 4-3 to Saint Mary's on November 14th, 2014. They had been on a 44-0-2 run since then.

- UNB hadn't lost a home game by at least three goals since a 5-2 setback to Moncton on October 13th, 2012. Their last 8 home losses have all been by a single goal.

I know it isn't overly important but the announced attendance of 2586 was a joke. I know there house is papered but come on.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Hoping Parenteau gets the start against X on Saturday in Antigonish. Not a hat Dubeau has played bad but because I think he has earned a start against a top team.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I thought Dubeau was playing great up until that second goal against X, but then he gave up 4 goals on something like 7 shots the rest of the way and all of a sudden the numbers don’t look very good.

Having said that, I am much more confident in Parenteau right now and wouldn’t mind seeing him getting a game against one of the top-3.

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Dubeau was fantastic in the win over X. Best I've seen him play all year. Hopefully he can maintain that level of play all the way to the Nationals.

Goulet is definitely going to be one of the Vreds best players going forward. Was very noticeable tonight and had the winner in the shootout.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
It will be interesting to see if the CIS voters manage to ignore another regulation time loss by Alberta this weekend, in their Top Ten voting!

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
I'm probably about to sound quite sinister but do I ever wish Elementary night would fall on nights that one of the other "Big 4" wasn't in town... Honestly , yes the constant screaming is somewhat annoying, but I find the families that come with the kids are the worst part.. Last one was against X and it felt like every minutes I was standing up to let someone by so they could leave there seats. Missed a goal because of it one time.. If ever there was a night to drive home the "Stay seated while the play is on", this would be the one... Biggest pet peeve... Rant done, sorry for my negativity haha

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Just looking at this week’s top ten rankings. UNB got 14 out of 15 first place votes but only 146 points, meaning the other voter had them 5th. Obviously meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but thought that was interesting. I’d like to hear the reasoning behind that choice.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Maybe I'm wrong, but from what I remember it used to always seem to fall against UPEI
CoachMac loves the energy in the AUC from the big crowds on the two "school nights", even it is from screaming kids.

I would not be surprised if they now deliberately schedule them for Friday nights against other teams in the Top 4 if they feel it gives the team more energy. If nothing else, it preps the UNB players for situations where they will be playing good teams in the AUC when there will be lots of noise and distractions (playoffs, University Cup, etc.)

Reactions: RED ARMY EAST
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad