UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 4)

Discussion in 'NCAA, U Sports, and other college' started by Drummer, Jun 20, 2016.

1. FreddtFoyle

FreddtFoyle Registered User

The advantage of playing in the AUS is that teams push you every night, which better prepares you for the University Cup.
    UNB needs to get much better on the powerplay. It stinks right now, and is a momentum killer.
    This is not last year's team, and it really shows when you compare "finish". V-Reds (especially Boland) are missing tons of opportunities to complete plays for goals.
    I am sure Coach MacDougall will be looking for the next Clapperton (or Maillet if they are out there) over Christmas to firm up the offense.
    Defense is pretty solid, but we saw in the SMU and Acadia games that they can be guilty of missing assignments at time.
    On a positive note, there is lots of potential if coaching can improve the newbies' play.

2. Drummer

Drummer Better Red than Dead

Network Design Engineer
    Home Page:
    Yup - hard to believe you lose that much talent and you're in 1st place at the break. Unlike 2015, where none of the team had been to nationals (except for TMac), this team has a lot of UCup experience outside of the rookies - a definite plus and they're at home.

17.2% on the power-play isn't bad (almost normal for UNB), but it can be better. The USPORTS average is 17.9%. At least they capitalized on their PP in the 3rd period vs Acadia to force OT. StFX is at a crazy 29%.

Last year's PP, at 26.7% (vs a league avg. of 17.39), was abnormally high for UNB, their generally never that good . . .
    17.15 ('16-gold) [18.35],
    19.2 ('15-silver) [18.21],
    17.4 ('14) [18.19],
    18.8 ('13-gold) [18.13]
    17.6 ('12) [17.66]
    18.7 ('11-gold) [17.72]

[better than average only half the time]
    [every time >18%, they go to the finals]
    [finals only once when <18%]

Over this span, UNB's average is 18.1% and they are close to the leagues average of averages at 18.04%. Compared to this year they are 0.9% behind - which would be just one more goal (in total). So, I don't think this is as big an issue as most make it out to be as long as they stay at this level or a bit better (the magic 18% level) they should be fine.

3. UNB Bruins Fan

UNB Bruins Fan Registered User

The PP has looked better since Clapperton has come back, which is obviously no coincidence.

I don't know if I have seen a guy as snake bitten as Boland. You gotta think he starts converting those quality chances. I would be more concerned if he wasn't getting those chances to begin with.

Honestly, I would rather a team be very good 5 on 5 and not have to rely on the PP so much. But yes, it would be nice to see them take advantage of their opportunities a bit more often.

4. Drummer

Drummer Better Red than Dead

Network Design Engineer
    Home Page:
    That is my sentiment as well. I also think it's the core of UNB's strategy (hard to play against, 3600sec, etc). In UNB's case, they play 10min on the PP, 10min SH and 40min 5-on-5, so winning the 5-on-5 game and killing off most of their penalties means a good PP is a bonus as it's only 16% of the game's time.

Along the lines of relying on a PP to win. The best example of this is #5 seed UoT vs #4 seed Ottawa in the 2013 First Round OUA-E Playoffs. UoT had a PP% of 25.9% (#1 in the CIS), but were 1-13 in their 3 game series (7.7%) losing their two road games (game 1 & 3 where they went 0-2 and 0-5 respectively). The PP% is a good stat, but good teams have good PK so you can't rely on it in the playoffs like you can against a weak team during the season. A better stat would be the PP% vs the top 3 teams in your division. If you can score against those harder opponents, then you have a 'real' weapon.

5. RED ARMY EAST

RED ARMY EAST Registered User

Agree, your percentage vs the top 3 AUS opponents, is more of what your up against during AUS semi-finals, finals and Nationals.
    Boland is also a rookie and may be rushing his chances at times, but he looks to be a key recruit, with a very good skillset.

6. UNB Bruins Fan

The last time I remember them having a "lethal" power play before last year were the 2007-2010 teams who went 29%/22%/26%. Of course, the year they won the UCup was the lowest out of those.

So, having an amazing PP hasn't been the ultimate key to their recent success,

7. Hollywood3

Hollywood3 Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

35 teams now.

8. Rob

Rob Registered User

Home Page:
    Parenteau was great against Poland.

I know coach Mac has slated Dubeau as the number one but I really think Parenteau should face better opposition in the second half. Dubeau isn't as bad as some seem to think but he isn't a game stealer either.

9. UNB Bruins Fan

They’ve both been good in recent games where they had more action than usual....Parenteau against Poland and Dubeau against UPEI.