Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Exhibition game vs Team Poland

UNB has played two(2) other national teams, over Christmas 1980;
Win over Team Scotland (5-1)
Win over Team England (12-6)

Neither team exists today as they have since merged/amalgamated into Team Great Britain.

5 months later (1981 WC) Great Britain finished 8th in Pool 'C' (24th overall) and were relegated to 'D'. They climbed back up to Pool 'B' by the late 90's which became Div 1 in the 2001 restructuring. They have remained in Div 1 Group A or B since.

Poland is currently in Div I - Group A. They (along with GB) are trying to finish in the top 2 (out of 6) to be promoted to the Championship Div (top 16 teams).

Poland recently won a 4-teram Euro Ice Hockey Challenge Tournament in Budapest with 6pts despite a loss to Italy (4-3) - they had wins over Hungary (4-1) and Japan (3-2). Finishing behind Poland was Japan, Hungary & Italy.

It will be interceding to see how this goes.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Frustrating period to say the least. All over them and trailing. Marchand kept X in it when it was 1-0 and then they get 2 goals on 6 shots.

This teams needs two things - more puck luck and a legit sniper.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
Frustrating period to say the least. All over them and trailing. Marchand kept X in it when it was 1-0 and then they get 2 goals on 6 shots.

This teams needs two things - more puck luck and a legit sniper.

If someone told me UNB would be 11-0-2 with the amount of talent loss and first year players in the lineup back in September I would have been pleasantly surprised. So hard to disappointing in any type of way, but I agree their isn't really a bonified finisher on the team at this time and they are snake bitten. They are thoroughly out shooting and outplaying most opponents, the loss of Clapperton certainly doesn't help at this time.

There is one concern I have with this team and it feels similar to the 2015 Season when they lost to Alberta in the CIS Final. Goal-tending scares me right now, when you go into Antigonish and Outshoot the Xmen 48-15 in their own barn but lose 3-2, regardless of how the goals were scored you would hope your Goalie could stop more than 12 of 15 shots. Seems to be a trend this year, UNB is allowing mostly under 20 shots per game, often 13 to 17 Shots allowed, but yet the opposing team still seems to score a couple of goals. it feels very Davis Shantz-ish......

ProjectAUS

Mar 6, 2011
Moncton, NB
If someone told me UNB would be 11-0-2 with the amount of talent loss and first year players in the lineup back in September I would have been pleasantly surprised. So hard to disappointing in any type of way, but I agree their isn't really a bonified finisher on the team at this time and they are snake bitten. They are thoroughly out shooting and outplaying most opponents, the loss of Clapperton certainly doesn't help at this time.

There is one concern I have with this team and it feels similar to the 2015 Season when they lost to Alberta in the CIS Final. Goal-tending scares me right now, when you go into Antigonish and Outshoot the Xmen 48-15 in their own barn but lose 3-2, regardless of how the goals were scored you would hope your Goalie could stop more than 12 of 15 shots. Seems to be a trend this year, UNB is allowing mostly under 20 shots per game, often 13 to 17 Shots allowed, but yet the opposing team still seems to score a couple of goals. it feels very Davis Shantz-ish......

I agree that UNB’s goaltending has been lacklustre the this year. But, I do want to point out that UNB’s shots on net are not all exactly what I would call high quality scoring chances. Over the last three years it’s been very similar, it seems as if they put the puck on net as soon as they cross the blue half the time. I’m not saying that UNB didn’t outchance X, cause Marchand definitely won them that game. However, them having 50 shots isn’t that impressive every game when half of them are floaters from the blue or perimeter shots. X and UNB have a very funny matchup, as the games are either tremendous blowouts or extremely tight like last night. Also, Chase Marchand is 3-0-0 in his last 3 against UNB with a .947 save percentage, 126 SV on 133 shots. Wild numbers.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
True, it seems their philosophy this year is quantity over quality when it comes to SOG. How many easy glove saves did Gladnick make last week on a lazy wrist shot from way out?

As for the goaltending, it has basically been average so far...they are 4th in the league in save percentage. However, when/if they play an Alberta/McGill/Saskatchewan, they aren’t going to be out-shooting those teams 3:1 and are going to need better than average goaltending to win. I certainly wouldn’t be opposed to giving Parenteau some games against the upper tier teams to see how he makes out.

Last edited:

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
Alex Dubeau is currently 40th in Save % in the CIS, certainly not good in a 32 Team League. Parenteau didnt really turn the tide with 3 goals againts on only 18 shots vs Dal

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
UNB has lost 2 OT games and is 2nd in goals for and 1st in goals against. They lead the AUS. Yes, they do take a lot of a shots. Yes, their goaltending could be a bit better. I think they have some snipers who just have to find their way. They've beaten SMU twice and split with ACA and SFX. When they bring in 2 or 3 minor pro guys at Christmas all will be well.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
11- o- 2 record and people are pushing the panic button. Geezzzz.......
No Clapperton, who is the best forward and 3 roster spots open, I think that UNB is in good shape!
Clapperton alone, is a big part of the PP unit.
Willick took a big hit against Dal, did he come back?
As far as goaltending is concerned, could we see Jeremy Brodeur land at UNB? Pure speculation.
I don't think he is with a pro team right now??
Marty is Jake Allen's goaltending coach, in St Louis and Allen has connections with Gardiner and the Reds.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I talked to Willick in Halifax after the game. He was "fine". He didn't get hit in the head ... it was hard to tell from my seat near the UNB bench.

McIvor has a flu bug or something. He didn't play against SMU. Hopefully they are not concussion symptoms.

UNB's power play is not good at all right now, but I believe it is part of a bigger issue - UNB forwards are not finishing. They had a ton of chances they didn't cash in versus both X and Dal. Same thing last weekend at home. The young guys, especially Boland, are not executing. Nerves? Youth? Inexperience at this level? I don't know.

Especially on the power play there aren't enough quick releases, and what likes like too much overthinking going on. Guys aren't getting into the rebound areas well, or on the rush the trailer isn't stopping in the slot to pounce on a rebound.

The good news is that all of the players are working really, really hard. They are moving their feet and pressing hard. You have to think that the new guys will find more scoring consistency eventually. Based on who left, I did not think UNB would be battling for first place going into the exam break. So they have overachieved on that front for me.

My gut feeling is that Parenteau is wrestling with staying focused when he is not very busy .... until a turnover. I haven't talked to him about it, but Dubeau told me his first year that it was a big adjustment for him.

UNB could have used some puck luck on the weekend. Late in the third period against X, Stephen Anderson knocked down a long clearing pass and looked to go on a break. Linesman blew it down for icing. Bad call. It was after the ensuing icing faceoff that UNB was under pressure and Suelentrop accidentally put the puck over the glass, which caused the power play that X score on in OT. Also late, either before or after the Anderson bad call, Willick had a near break that was called offside. It wasn't.

In the first period of the Dal game, Kris Bennett fired a shot into the top corner that hit the rear netting and popped back out. The goal judge and refs missed it. I could see the goal clearly from where I sat, as could other fans and the UNB bench.

Despite all of this, UNB came away with 3 points on the weekend, so I think fans should just chill a bit. This team is still a work in progress, so enjoy the journey.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
11- o- 2 record and people are pushing the panic button. Geezzzz........

So far, this team is exactly where they were last year after 14 games - 12-0-2. Not bad for a team who lost two top scorers and top Dman and added a bunch of rookies at key spots. So, what's the worry - they weren't supposed to be this good at this stage - an absolute bonus as far as I'm concerned.

Now, are they as good as ALB or USK, maybe not, but they're not far away which is amazing given the maturity of those two teams today.

UNB's GF/GA last year after 14 games was 82/26 vs this season of 60/28. The drop in offense is to be expected with new guys playing up-front, but it's more related to how UNB had defeated UdeM; last year the first 3 games were 9-0, 9-2 & 9-1 versus this season's 6-2, 2-0 & 6-1 - that's a 27-14=13 goals.

Also, I think this important to point out, this was the first go around for the rookies to play in new rinks against new opponents and other than the OT loses to top teams (X and Acadia) they did what they had to do. It should be easier going forward - just need some additional chemistry.

Note: I have noticed that UNB is working crazy hard in the 1st period to get a lead (eg. SFX at the AUC). It use to be play hard for 60 minutes and out work teams and win in the 3rd period. It seems the new model is to win the 1st big and then cruse.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Through the first 8-10 games their goals for and against were very similar as last year....but it was this time last year where they went on a 7-8 game stretch (starting with the big comeback against Dal at the AUC) where they played arguably their most dominant hockey I have seen, blowing out everyone they played. That is why we now see such a skew in the GF/GA numbers compared to last year.

As for this year, yes I agree they have definitely outperformed by expectations record-wise so none of us should really be complaining that much. However, one negative thing about being as good as they have been the last decade is that they have ridiculously high expectations and it is clear, despite the record, their are some issues that will need to be addressed if they want to reach their ultimate goal. They kind of remind me of the 2012 team right now...really good, veteran team that won it all the year before (2011) but lost some key players (Tremblay)...they are still a very good team, but seem just a notch below where they were and compared to the other very best teams in the country.

Should be an interesting rest of season though. Getting Clapperton back (hopefully) will obviously help immensely, especially the PP...and you have to think they are going to add at least another 1-2 guys over the break.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
You guys have to stop with the "woe is me" thing. The team is very well positioned for the 2nd half. When Gards brings in 3 AHL guys all will be well. That's what happens when you have a great program. Everyone expects every game to be a 10-0 blowout and to go undefeated thru the Cup. I would hate to see you guys face any "real" adversity with your team. A couple of guys have mentioned that the stats for this year are similar to last. That's not too shabby.....

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Alex Dubeau is currently 40th in Save % in the CIS, certainly not good in a 32 Team League. Parenteau didnt really turn the tide with 3 goals againts on only 18 shots vs Dal

Please keep in mind that for the past decade UNB goaltenders have normally had a save % below .900. Last year Etienne Marcoux did.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Please keep in mind that for the past decade UNB goaltenders have normally had a save % below .900. Last year Etienne Marcoux did.

I’ve always felt it is extremely difficult to keep a .900+ save percentage when you are facing less than 20 shots/game. You can basically only afford to give up 3 goals every two games.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
I would say that Clapperton is back to 100%, pretty solid return to the lineup tonight!

Announced attendance tonight was 3168, so probably the third best regular season game during the season. South and North Side school nights usually are announced as sell outs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad