UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
They still have two spots to fill so it will be interesting to see if they leave them both open to Christmas or bring in someone early in the season (like they did with Maillet).

With Simpson/Boland/Hodgson away at camps they might be shorthanded (17 skaters) this week against UPEI.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Sorry, I can't remember, but are Red Shirts allowed to play in exhibition games or was it they were allowed to play when they played exhibition vs US teams?

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I didn't think redshirts could play at all no matter the game type.

When it comes to the roster cap you can have guys play exhibition games but not count against the cap.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
I didn't think redshirts could play at all no matter the game type.

When it comes to the roster cap you can have guys play exhibition games but not count against the cap.

For some reason, and more than likely I have it mixed up, I thought that Trey Lewis was allowed to play when UNB played the NCAA teams last year.
Will have to see what I can find.

Hockeyfan1989

Sep 10, 2017
Pretty sure red shirts can play exhibition as we saw Duffy play a few exhibition games the year he red shirted before he decided to head to SMU.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Duffy wasn't redshirting in the sense that he needed to regain his eligibility though. The only reason he couldn't play that year/2nd half for UNB was because they were already at the roster cap after adding Halley. If not for the cap Duffy could've played that year with no issue.

I don't recall any other guys (LaCosta, Houle off the top of my head) who redshirted play exhibition games for them.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Like I said, I am not sure, but some reason, it was specifically Lewis that I remember being talked about last year with the NCAA, although he did not end up playing. Maybe it was just talk around the rink.

Hockeyfan1989

Sep 10, 2017
I guess we will find out if they can play if the newest rumour about a player who will be coming is true. Will have to sit redshirt for this season for playing pro.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Is UNB going to stick with just the 3 pre-season, exhibition games?

Yup - they had a hard time trying to find opponents, no one wants to play them.

Dave and I find this funny because if there is any better a chance to beat UNB, it's in a rebuild year.

They had a game fall-through in the Boston area, so only one game in the US - coach wasn't really upset about that though as it now means it's an easy drive home and an extra day of rest going into the Wednesday start's

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I believe everyone can play in exhibition games (red shirts and 23rd's) but you don't see it a lot if you have a full roster as you're taking ice-time away from an eligible skater who you're trying to get up-to-speed.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB

Dave and I find this funny because if there is any better a chance to beat UNB, it's in a rebuild year.

Not only that, but why wouldn't a team want to play against the defending champs as a way to gauge where your program is at?

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB

They had a game fall-through in the Boston area, so only one game in the US - coach wasn't really upset about that though as it now means it's an easy drive home and an extra day of rest going into the Wednesday start's

I am wondering if last years fiasco has anything to do with it, not only with UNB, but pretty much every other CIS team that had an exhibition game vs a NCAA team.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Good point. I did notice Merrimack is not playing a CIS team this year, which I am sure is no coincidence.

However, just going off of what I remember reading/seeing it seems like there are just as many CIS/NCAA games as usual.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I talked to coach about the Merrimack game and it was a gong-show on both sides and the fans were just as guilty as the players for making it a circus. Yes - I also saw that Merrimack wasn't playing a CIS team this season.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Deathly Hollows of the AUC

Not only that, but why wouldn't a team want to play against the defending champs as a way to gauge where your program is at?
Well, that would be a good idea, had someone actually defeated UNB in the past 17 years. No team wants to get blown-out in September before the season starts. A contender may consider it, but there aren't many non-AUS contenders that are close to Fredericton (maybe Queen's, but I don't think they want to ride that bus again ;) UNB is 56-3-0 vs the OUA since 2000 and the AUC is the place where OUA dreams go to die as UNB is 35-2 vs the OUA and 21-0 in pre-season in their rink.

In that time there have been some good teams come through in the pre-season; Carlton, McGill, UQTR & Windsor not to mention some lesser teams like Brock, Nipissing & Guelph. The only 'close' teams not to visit from the OUA are Queen's, Ryerson and RMC. So, who wants to visit the deathly hollows of the AUC if those stronger teams can't win there.

I agree, it's a missed opportunity to play a good team :shakehead

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Just noticed Winnipeg released Boland from his ATO a few days ago. Wonder if we see him tomorrow night.

Hodgson (CBJ) and Simpson (WSH) have both been invited to the main camp.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad