Ukraine: Ukrainian Hockey Championship

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Well first game between Belyi Bars and Donbass should be a good one, and prove who's the better overall team in the early going. Both are 3-0 and rolling over their competition.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Somewhat interestingly Xsport's UHL content is geoblocked at least in Poland.

Same for me, it never used to be. There are other popular websites that stream the games luckly. Dunno if I'm allowed to post it here however. On hockey something like this :popcorn:

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Looks like Donbass will continue to dominate the league. They took both games against Byeli Bars recently. Although both games were very close, and Byeli Bars did have the lead in the second game well into the third period. Donbass last game against Dynamo Kharkiv finished 6-5. Lviv and Brovary are clearly the league doormats this year, although Lviv was looking pretty good against Kremenchuk. They seemed to have a lot more team speed, than the first time I saw them play, and they looked really good on the power play scoring 2 goals.

I must say I do like this new league format, with a lot more younger developing players. If they can keep this thing afloat, it should be very good for Ukrainian hockey in the future. Last thing, Byeli Bars arena must have got new lighting, cuz watching their last game at home was a completely different experience from last year.

Reactions: Rigafan

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Looks like Donbass will continue to dominate the league. They took both games against Byeli Bars recently. Although both games were very close, and Byeli Bars did have the lead in the second game well into the third period. Donbass last game against Dynamo Kharkiv finished 6-5. Lviv and Brovary are clearly the league doormats this year, although Lviv was looking pretty good against Kremenchuk. They seemed to have a lot more team speed, than the first time I saw them play, and they looked really good on the power play scoring 2 goals.

I must say I do like this new league format, with a lot more younger developing players. If they can keep this thing afloat, it should be very good for Ukrainian hockey in the future. Last thing, Byeli Bars arena must have got new lighting, cuz watching their last game at home was a completely different experience from last year.

Just need a few more stable teams and maybe somebody else with money to compete with Donbass while they are here

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Ukrainian Hockey League back again for 2018/2019. Nice to see some stability in Ukrainian hockey. 6 teams will compete again for the championship. Lviv are out, but Dnipro are in. There was some rumblings about Sokol making a comeback, but I guess they couldn't make their financial guarantees in time. No doubt Donbass will win it all again this year, but teams like Kremenchuk and Byli Bars are starting to catch up a little. I like the youth oriented format of the league, and will no doubt be watching as many games as I can again this year.

Reactions: Rigafan

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Pretty interesting start to the new season. Early on it looked like Donbass would dominate again as usual, however, they have already lost games to the new Dnipro team (who have yet to lose), and most recently this past weekend to Kremenchuk. Keep in mind, Donbass didn't lose their first game last year, until the last game of the season. So at this point Donbass actually sit in third place behind Dnipro and Kremenchuk. Byli Bars are seriously struggling this year, and Kharkiv and Vovky look like they will be also rans this year. Hopefully this trend at the top will continue, as it will make watching the games a whole lot more interesting.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Pretty interesting start to the new season. Early on it looked like Donbass would dominate again as usual, however, they have already lost games to the new Dnipro team (who have yet to lose), and most recently this past weekend to Kremenchuk. Keep in mind, Donbass didn't lose their first game last year, until the last game of the season. So at this point Donbass actually sit in third place behind Dnipro and Kremenchuk. Byli Bars are seriously struggling this year, and Kharkiv and Vovky look like they will be also rans this year. Hopefully this trend at the top will continue, as it will make watching the games a whole lot more interesting.
Donbass struggling is surprising, but I imagine they will prevail in the end anyway. They have resources to atract way better foreigners than the Z graders rest of the league is picking up.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Donbass struggling is surprising, but I imagine they will prevail in the end anyway. They have resources to atract way better foreigners than the Z graders rest of the league is picking up.

I suspect you are absolutely correct. However, the early season struggles of Donbass are making this league, which I desperately want to support, actually watchable.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Interesting days in the Ukrainian League. Donbass lost again tonight, 4-2 to a not very good Kharkiv team. That is now 4 losses on the year in 11 games, and they now sit in 3rd place behind Dnipro and Kremenchuk, both of which have 2 games in hand on Donbass.

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
So it turns out Clay Wilson is now an assistant coach for Donbass

Did not know

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Those that predicted back in the late 90's that Ukrainian hockey would struggle as the years go by were correct. Khristich, Ponikarovsky and Fedotenko would be the last of the NHLers and now the national team has players in lower leagues and Junior A...a shame really but it is hard to see it changing.

Romania is now ahead of them at the Senior Mens level.

Is there anything being done to change their fortunes?

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Those that predicted back in the late 90's that Ukrainian hockey would struggle as the years go by were correct. Khristich, Ponikarovsky and Fedotenko would be the last of the NHLers and now the national team has players in lower leagues and Junior A...a shame really but it is hard to see it changing.

Romania is now ahead of them at the Senior Mens level.

Is there anything being done to change their fortunes?

The owner of Donbass is basically keeping the whole Ukraine hockey alive.

The war/trouble/political issues need to stop and really calm down before we will see anything better happen for Ukraine hockey.

Unless somebody in Kiev comes along with money to put a team in a foreign league, Donbass are the only team with money (and a spot still in the KHL) but it is not possible given the situation

Reactions: greatwhitenorth

lindelof

Jul 7, 2018
The owner of Donbass is basically keeping the whole Ukraine hockey alive.

The war/trouble/political issues need to stop and really calm down before we will see anything better happen for Ukraine hockey.

Unless somebody in Kiev comes along with money to put a team in a foreign league, Donbass are the only team with money (and a spot still in the KHL) but it is not possible given the situation

Does they really have a spot in KHL still?
Or was your point that they would have played there if war had not started.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Does they really have a spot in KHL still?
Or was your point that they would have played there if war had not started.

The initial plan was to have a 1 year break and allow them to rebuild/fix the damage to their arena, but then the whole region was bombed and in conflict and the local airport is in ruins so it was impossible for them to carry on in the KHL after that 1 year break.

The team has a steak in the league (financially, the guy who owns Donbass is extremely rich) - the situation isn't very clear but basically they are on hiatus from the KHL still.

If there were no war then they'd most likely still be in the KHL - there'd be no reason for them not to be.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
I was trying to find the documentary about the HC Donbass situation/owner. I'm sure it was done by RT News but on Google i'm not having much luck, it was in English too.

If I can find it again I will obviously post it here.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
I was trying to find the documentary about the HC Donbass situation/owner. I'm sure it was done by RT News but on Google i'm not having much luck, it was in English too.

If I can find it again I will obviously post it here.
I found it!

its only 12 minutes, enjoy!

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
How is the junior development system in Ukraine with all the turmoil? Are there are kids that maybe come over to the CHL (OHL/WHL/QMJHL)? Also...not too familiar with Dmytro Timashov (TORONTO) and his path to the NHL - I know is Ukrainian by birth, but has played internationally for Sweden. It's been quite some time that Ukraine was in the major pool of teams - they were in the top pool as recently as 2004.

Of if not in Ukraine, are there are any prospects of having Ukrainians developing elsewhere, but still playing for Ukraine?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
How is the junior development system in Ukraine with all the turmoil? Are there are kids that maybe come over to the CHL (OHL/WHL/QMJHL)? Also...not too familiar with Dmytro Timashov (TORONTO) and his path to the NHL - I know is Ukrainian by birth, but has played internationally for Sweden. It's been quite some time that Ukraine was in the major pool of teams - they were in the top pool as recently as 2004.

Of if not in Ukraine, are there are any prospects of having Ukrainians developing elsewhere, but still playing for Ukraine?
Ukrainians had their fair share of prospects play in the CHL: Merezhko, Peresunko, Felix Morozov. Their U18 [luckily] won D1B in 17/18 led by the latter two. Myklukha just moved to QMJHL, he is likely a 1st rounder in 2021, but he has accepted Slovakian citizenship. Artur Cholach is playing for New Jersey Jr. Titans, I can see him being drafted to the CHL if he wants to go that route.

Overall, the development system is on its ass, Ukraine, at the men's level, will not climb above 25th spot for the foreseeable future. Maybe in 5 years or so they can start challenging for 23-24 spots. But that's pretty much the best-case scenario.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad