Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
HungryforHockey25 said:
TSN article

And the ball is starting to roll now. This is encouraging.... :yo:

This one has "I was misquoted" written all over it. Wait for it... :D

Sure it's only a handful of guys out of more than 700, with articles like this popping up every day or 2nd day, the perception at this point is even more damaging than what the real numbers of discontented are. I know I look at it and think "If 6 or 7 (7 or 8? 8 or 9? Sure seems to be increasing by the day...) players are speaking out, there must be a LOT more that feel the same but are too chicken to say anything.

And all the while, the owners just sit back in their lawn chair and light up a big fat stogie. The NHLPA hasn't lost yet, but they're losing on the scorecards. Their November meeting sounds like it's gonna be a lively session to be sure.

Maybe it's me, but for a PA that was supposedly much better prepared for a work stoppage and ready for a long drawn out war of attrition than it was in '94...they sure seem to be showing signs of stress sooner. Similar things were said then too, but I don't recall them being neither as frequent nor as soon into the labour stoppage.

Perhaps because:

a) The wage disparity between the elite and the rabble has only increased in the last 10 years.

b) The failures of the WHA and OSHL to get off the ground was a huge blow to the guys who didn't or couldn't get a ticket to Europe. Perhaps part of the NHLPA's preparation was erroneously assuming these leagues would be a viable alternative for them?

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the coming months. Players can only be misquoted so many times before it looks truly pathetic.

Last edited:

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
They should vote to turf Goodenow, and get in on making the best possible arrangement for themselves.

They sure won't get the best offer by sitting there and allowing the owners to eventually impose it.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
I think it is encouraging that the NHLPA members are beginning to realize that Goodenow and the richest players are only protecting themselves and not the game. Hopefully the players will begin speaking up more and more and finally turf Goodenow and get to playing hockey under a equally equitable system that has a Cap.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Oh look...here's another one.

Brian Pothier isn't so happy either

Anyone else noticing a common theme here?

Goodenow had better get a grip on his little feifdom, lest the rabble comes for him and his lieutenants.

(Of course I'm exaggerating for effect, but it still seems less than a united brotherhood working for a common goal.)

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
MacDaddy Version 1.3 said:
They should vote to decertify.

I'm sure that if they do that, all those players that feel that the NHLPA is not looking out for thier interests will form their own union. I think that would make things quite interesting.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Bob Goodenow isn't going anywhere. Every NHLPA member at every salary level have him to thank. He's done everything they have asked of him and then some over the years.

Bob Goodenow does not control the NHLPA. The players do.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Bicycle Repairman said:
Well, hell, no wonder nothing is happening then. If you have 700 players controlling the PA, thats way too many cooks in the kitchen.

Actually, serious question - to get a decision, what is required from the PA? 51% vote of the player reps or something?

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
Cawz said:
Well, hell, no wonder nothing is happening then. If you have 700 players controlling the PA, thats way too many cooks in the kitchen.

Actually, serious question - to get a decision, what is required from the PA? 51% vote of the player reps or something?

tough to get 51% of 30 votes ;)

It won't go to the team reps unless Goodenow, Saskin, Linden, Irbe (and the rest of the PA heads), decide it will.

Until then, they don't have much other than calling up the players who speak out and tell them to shut up.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Bicycle Repairman said:

We shall see.

To be honest, these 'complaints', as it were, seem less directed at himself personally...they seem aimed more at the player executive that report to him and the lack of progress being made. At least that's what it looks like.

We're not even in November yet, and look at all the complaining going on. I thought this union was supposed to be prepared this time?

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Bicycle Repairman said:
Bob Goodenow isn't going anywhere. Every NHLPA member at every salary level have him to thank. He's done everything they have asked of him and then some over the years.

We'll see how many paycheques the overwhelmingly vast majority of relatively non-rich players are prepared to lose.

deathbear

Jul 8, 2003
Manitoba
Visit site
Bicycle Repairman said:

i love the charachter you've been playing since the lockout began. it's really quite amusing! you have everyone's attention, i like that.

but even i can tell you're not being serious all the time. i know you're pulling everyone's leg, but don't make it quite so obvious. :)

chara

Mar 31, 2004
A second paycheque has gone by the wayside and we've had this much understandable discension.

Wait til the next paycheque is gone. More average NHLers will talk. If the union won't listen, the fans will. We'll turn guys like Pothier, Commodore, Ferrence, Dagenais into heroes - guys who actually care, not guys who have escaped to Europe and let the suits destroy their game.

SPARTAKUS*

The PA is screwed!!! They know if they don't negociate a deal now come next season a majority of their members will cross the line and play under the owners cba. I'm sure right now more then 50% of the players would vote to play under a new economic system in the NHL. It's insane tha a minority of players or preventing a mojority of players from doing what they realy want to do that is play hockey in the NHL.. :shakehead

Feb 12, 2003
I must say that I respect any player that comes out to speak about the current CBA situation, whether I agree with them or not, it takes some guts to stand up for what you believe in. To stand up for something that is considered the less popular, or minority side of the vote is even more honorable because of the challenges that follow.

It seems that the majority of the NHLPA is starting to come around and those who agree with Commodore, Riberio, Gelinas, Pothier are starting to speak out with more frequency, and that these players are realizing they have the most to lose. While it is not the value of dollars the superstars have to lose, the average players are losing their livelihoods, which is even more valuable than the monetary amounts. No less, the top percent of the NHL has already signed to make some money in another league at this point, so their pockets remain lined with green. Meanwhile, the average players and the ref's are sitting and waiting for this to work out, without hurt anybody in the process. Remember, the owners are locking out the players, and indirectly the ref's.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
deathbear said:
i love the charachter you've been playing since the lockout began. it's really quite amusing! you have everyone's attention, i like that.

but even i can tell you're not being serious all the time. i know you're pulling everyone's leg, but don't make it quite so obvious. :)

I second that emotion

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Now another one speaks out...

16 year veteran Martin Gelinas. Or does his opinion not count either?

http://www.canada.com/calgary/calga....html?id=3191c60a-8356-4660-baea-7aa11c11e27d

He isn't giving in to the idea of a cap, but he is calling out the union leadership on its lack of activity.

"It's time we stopped blaming each other and started talking. Bob (players' union head Goodenow) should be phoning the NHL every day to talk. These guys are being paid two or three million. They should be putting their heads together."

November should be an interesting month, for both sides.

YellHockey*

GoCoyotes said:
I must say that I respect any player that comes out to speak about the current CBA situation, whether I agree with them or not, it takes some guts to stand up for what you believe in.

It's not standing up for what you believe in. It's turning your back on your fellow NHLPA members because you want your money now. If you have issues with the stance of the PA, take it up with them. Don't whine about it to the media. Relaying your message through a third party is the coward's way out.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
BlackRedGold said:
It's not standing up for what you believe in. It's turning your back on your fellow NHLPA members because you want your money now. If you have issues with the stance of the PA, take it up with them. Don't whine about it to the media. Relaying your message through a third party is the coward's way out.

I think those players feel what they say will fall to deaf ears. A bit like the church going against condoms.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
GoCoyotes said:
I must say that I respect any player that comes out to speak about the current CBA situation, whether I agree with them or not, it takes some guts to stand up for what you believe in. To stand up for something that is considered the less popular, or minority side of the vote is even more honorable because of the challenges that follow.

Standing up to protect a basic right even if its a limited marketplace is a noble cause for the players who realize that fighting against a cap will be the less popular minority decision of society watching.

I also respect Commodore and Pothiers position. They are in a difficult spot and if the PA wants to go forward with their stance they must reconcile with these players

two out of three*

I love what Commodore had to say. This guy has balls, unlike the other guys that said something, and then took it back. Commodore is sticking to his guns, and now other people are speaking out. Commodore is a leader, and has for sure moved up a s*it load of spots on my favorite player list.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
BlackRedGold said:
A coward?!!! He is risking being chastised by his hockey playing brothers. Swimming against the tide is not being a coward. I am tired of your drivel. At least other NHLPA backers have some good thoughtful arguments. You are consistently firing out nonsense- the Kellen Winslow jr of the hockeysfuture boards.

YellHockey*

SwisshockeyAcademy said:
A coward?!!! He is risking being chastised by his hockey playing brothers. Swimming against the tide is not being a coward.

He's not risking anything. He's hiding behind the media to make his complaints. Only the cowardly do that. The ones with courage will keep their complaints behind closed doors.

Brothers? Family doesn't air their dirty laundry in public.

This is a labour war and he's a deserter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad