Post-Game Talk: Ugly win is still a win

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
These post game threads make me laugh. 5 hours after a win, 7 pages...5 hours after a loss, 20 pages. At least it makes catching up with games you missed watching easier to digest.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Good win.

It upsets me that people are ragging on Marleau. He's giving us exactly what we expected.

I think it depends a little on where you stand with the JVR/Bozak question and where you stand with making spaces available for younger players.

Marleau, Plekanec, Moore occupy playing positions. For all those that favour Leivo or Kapanen options, they are squeezed as a result of these additions. One demanded a trade. If that bothers a person, they won’t like Marleau’s presence.

And the contract likely will cost the team one of if not both of JVR/Bozak. Some will rejoice at that, others don’t like to see a 30+ goal scorer walk.

Reactions: saffronleaf

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
a win is a win is a win
interesting game
BRUTAL ICE JUST BRUTAL!!!!!
the Leafs played like 7-8 minutes
a beauty from the Marleau-Kadri duo also amazing skills with Nylander-Matthews
happy for Kapanen and Brown, great game for the 4th line

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
Still waiting for Plekanec to show up, the guy is effing useless. Somebody takes a dumb penalty? Probably Plekanec. Somebody a step behind on a play? Probably Plekanec. Somebody just put a golden scoring opportunity into the goalie's chest protector? Probably Morgan Reilly, but if it wasn't him it was Plekanec. At a certain point you'd like players to contribute something of worth, still waiting on this guy.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Still waiting for Plekanec to show up, the guy is effing useless. Somebody takes a dumb penalty? Probably Plekanec. Somebody a step behind on a play? Probably Plekanec. Somebody just put a golden scoring opportunity into the goalie's chest protector? Probably Morgan Reilly, but if it wasn't him it was Plekanec. At a certain point you'd like players to contribute something of worth, still waiting on this guy.

I actually think he is getting better every game, and he was really good yesterday. Excellent in the PK and starting to develop some chemistry with Kaps and Johnsson. That cross ice pass to Rielly just before Johnsson's great opportunity showed he wasn't always a 4th liner.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I actually think he is getting better every game, and he was really good yesterday. Excellent in the PK and starting to develop some chemistry with Kaps and Johnsson. That cross ice pass to Rielly just before Johnsson's great opportunity showed he wasn't always a 4th liner.
I thought that was his best game so far, not that it's saying much, but he's slowly settling in to his role.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
I thought that was his best game so far, not that it's saying much, but he's slowly settling in to his role.

I thought he was pretty good as well. Kap and Johnsson play at a speed that few centres have seen. Hopefully Plekanec continues to adjust to them and finds a rhythm. When Leo comes back it will be a more traditional 4th line for better or worse.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I think if people are expecting him to bring another scoring role they're going to be disappointed. This guy was not brought in for that.
I think it was his best game so far too. The speed that Kap and Johnsson brings help with that lines gameplan of aggressive forechecking and just being annoying.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs just have to get through these last few potentially meaningless outcome games injury free and settling in for a long playoff run.

I bet Leafs management wished they could fast forward past these last games and prepare for the real season.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
a win is a win is a win
interesting game
BRUTAL ICE JUST BRUTAL!!!!!
the Leafs played like 7-8 minutes
a beauty from the Marleau-Kadri duo also amazing skills with Nylander-Matthews
happy for Kapanen and Brown, great game for the 4th line
I thought for sure there would be an injury in this game, did the leafs let the equipment COOP student sharpen the skates last night? Take your kid to work day for Zamboni drivers? It was indeed Brutal. In the end we got the win, and defended a lead with 7 minutes left. All good.

Reactions: NiftyMits

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
These post game threads make me laugh. 5 hours after a win, 7 pages...5 hours after a loss, 20 pages. At least it makes catching up with games you missed watching easier to digest.

An interesting experience, is to actually miss a game that the Leafs lose, and then come to the PGT and look at how the sky is falling and "this team can never win in the playoffs" and how worked up people get over one game.

No, you're just getting all emo over a loss. It's still the same team they were yesterday, and they'll still be that tomorrow.

Reactions: Liminality

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
An interesting experience, is to actually miss a game that the Leafs lose, and then come to the PGT and look at how the sky is falling and "this team can never win in the playoffs" and how worked up people get over one game.

No, you're just getting all emo over a loss. It's still the same team they were yesterday, and they'll still be that tomorrow.
Usually when the Leafs lose I tend not to come on here a lot when that happens. If I ever have in the past it was make one comment and that's it, of course if they lost on a controversial call that's a different story.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Leafs just have to get through these last few potentially meaningless outcome games injury free and settling in for a long playoff run.

I bet Leafs management wished they could fast forward past these last games and prepare for the real season.

Wouldn't take much for the final stretch to have some meaning. Leafs have a pretty easy schedule to finish up. A bad week for Boston would put home ice up for grabs.

Klinton

Feb 6, 2017
Who cares how we win; nobody is going to look back and see how we won. We've lost games where we dominated.

Both teams are going in different directions. Leafs won; and it's time to get playoff ready.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
it's definitely a punishment to make him sit and watch Komarov play in his spot

Exactly. In what aspect would Leo be considered an upgrade over Johnsson? Heck, the latter saw some PK time last night as well. I would rather have the offensive threat who can create scoring chances and maintain puck possession in the opponent's zone. That is ultimately the best defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->