GDT: UFC on Fox: Weidman vs. Gastelum

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Also want to add, no idea why the UFC doesn't push up their events to always start at this time. Not sure why they want their main events pushing past midnight for most of the audience. 8 or 9 EST start time is much better.

Probably because the UFC is putting so much events in Vegas and getting used to working with the time zone on the west coast.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
It's 6pm on the west coast.

If you want to watch a card, your entire day is shot

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
WOW.

Did that 10 second sequence win Kelvin the round despite being dominated the rest of the round?

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
Yeah, that won him the round because Weidman didn't dominate. Domination is when someone is putting a beating for me

Bad choice of words, but he was very clearly winning the round up to that point.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Probably because the UFC is putting so much events in Vegas and getting used to working with the time zone on the west coast.

Vegas is an example of why the fights should be earlier, not the opposite. Having the card end by 9 or whatever so you can go out after is great.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
I don't see Chris ever being champ again, but it's nice seeing him rebound after a string of devastating losses.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Really great to see Weidman get a win. Would like to see him fight Jacare next.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If Weidman goes back to doing that all the time, he'd be pretty tough to beat. He controlled that entire fight aside from one punch. Pretty big win for him. Gastelum had no answer for getting manhandled like that.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Weidman is delusional. You're the champ? Sure you are bud.

He became so full of himself after getting a couple of fluke wins over Anderson and winning the belt. Dude acted like a chump talking **** to both Rockhold and Bisping after he lost the belt and then gets himself destroyed by Romero and Mousasi.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
He became so full of himself after getting a couple of fluke wins over Anderson and winning the belt. Dude acted like a chump talking **** to both Rockhold and Bisping after he lost the belt and then gets himself destroyed by Romero and Mousasi.

Those weren't fluke wins, that's just sour grapes.

But he's way too cocky for a guy coming off a losing streak to the top middleweights.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
At the post conference going off on how he's the best, and deserves the shot. If you're that healthy, go rematch Rockhold.

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
The way Chris and his family were celebrating it was like he won the belt again. I wasn't that impressed to be honest, he was able take down a much smaller guy in Gastelum for 3 rounds and got dropped in the 1st...if it wasn't so late Gastelum might have finished him.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Really disappointed with Gastelum's performance

He's usually so bouncy and light on his feet, but I didn't see that tonight

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
If Weidman goes back to doing that all the time, he'd be pretty tough to beat. He controlled that entire fight aside from one punch. Pretty big win for him. Gastelum had no answer for getting manhandled like that.

He's still too gun-shy in the feet though. He was able to bully a much smaller Gastelum, but I just don't see him beating Whittaker/Romero/Rockhold/Jacare with that game plan.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
He's still too gun-shy in the feet though. He was able to bully a much smaller Gastelum, but I just don't see him beating Whittaker/Romero/Rockhold/Jacare with that game plan.

Yeah, I can see that. To me, his issues started when he started to believe he was a good striker and abandoned what was his base. Very similar to what Dillishaw did. They both fell in love with their stand up. And Weidman's not that good of a striker to do that. In terms of the list you just threw out there, I agree with most of that. The one guy I think he could do it to is Rockhold, since he was doing just fine in their fight up until he tried that spinning kick thing. Once he missed that, it went south for him really fast.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Really disappointed with Gastelum's performance

He's usually so bouncy and light on his feet, but I didn't see that tonight

That's because he got tossed around like a rag doll. Hard to bounce on your feet when you're constantly being bounced off the canvas.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Yeah, I can see that. To me, his issues started when he started to believe he was a good striker and abandoned what was his base. Very similar to what Dillishaw did. They both fell in love with their stand up. And Weidman's not that good of a striker to do that. In terms of the list you just threw out there, I agree with most of that. The one guy I think he could do it to is Rockhold, since he was doing just fine in their fight up until he tried that spinning kick thing. Once he missed that, it went south for him really fast.

He was doing fine in both the Romero and Gegard fights as well, mental errors though. He has what it takes to be champ again, but he's gotta do more of what he did last night, stick to the gameplan.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com

Jacare is a pretty good matchup for him since Jacare is old, isn't a particularly high level striker and I doubt he can outwrestle Weidman.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
That's because he got tossed around like a rag doll. Hard to bounce on your feet when you're constantly being bounced off the canvas.

My crazy theory is this: had his stand up game been in top form, perhaps Weidman wouldn't have had as many opportunities to take him down since Gastelum's fists would've been peppering his face with shots

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Good win for Weidman. It didn't matter how he did it, he just needed to win. I like the Jacare suggestion for his next fight and I also wouldn't mind a Rockhold rematch.

There was obviously a big size difference and Gastelum was overmatched but I still kinda like him at MW. I just don't trust him to make 170 in a smart way.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Well now that they have their fancy new athletes compound, it should be mandatory for certain guys like Gastelum to do their camps there to keep track of their weight and do it right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad