PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass)

Featherweight bout: Kyle Bochniak vs. Jeremy Kennedy
Bantamweight bout: Brian Kelleher vs. Marlon Vera
Heavyweight bout: Timothy Johnson vs. Júnior Albini
Featherweight bout: Shane Burgos vs. Godofredo Pepey
Lightweight bout: Chris Wade vs. Frankie Perez

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Pretty crazy this could be 4 Ls in a row for Weidman.

Yeah. Gastelum has looked great recently and he's the favourite going in so it's definitely in play.

It's surprising that the UFC, Weidman, and his camp refuse to go with a tune-up fight to get him back on track. They just keep matching him up with top guys and he keeps losing. I think he's far from done and has had good moments in all of those fights but the end result has still been the same.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Yeah. Gastelum has looked great recently and he's the favourite going in so it's definitely in play.

It's surprising that the UFC, Weidman, and his camp refuse to go with a tune-up fight to get him back on track. They just keep matching him up with top guys and he keeps losing. I think he's far from done and has had good moments in all of those fights but the end result has still been the same.

It doesn't help that he keeps getting his bell rung, those add up and these losses will come easier and easier.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Good main event. Gonna be the real size test for Gastelum now he's facing a bigger-sized wrestler at middleweight.

Fight pass prelim card is a lot better than the fox prelim. Actually, that entire fox prelim is just likely to be highly boring.

Rivera vs Almeida is a fantastic fight, wished it was a 5 rounder.

Cummins with no striking acumen vs Villante whose fights are only entertaining when he's his opponent's counter striking practice target... this is asking to be bad fight.

Bermudez vs Elkins is the battle of fun fast-paced grinders, which im afraid the matchup might nullify the fun of both men's grinding style.

Overall, predicting this to be a dud

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
Gastelum is just too small to beat a top level middleweight like Weidman imo.

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
The Chris should have taken a year off after that Romero KO in November. He just had a tough fight with Mousasi three months ago. Gastelum is certainly a winnable fight. Weidman has a big size advantage, he should be able to take Kelvin down and just go from there but after his last three fights... I don't know, man. Just a bad match up. He should be fighting someone top 15-20 range instead of a guy coming off two fantastic performances.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
The Chris should have taken a year off after that Romero KO in November. He just had a tough fight with Mousasi three months ago. Gastelum is certainly a winnable fight. Weidman has a big size advantage, he should be able to take Kelvin down and just go from there but after his last three fights... I don't know, man. Just a bad match up. He should be fighting someone top 15-20 range instead of a guy coming off two fantastic performances.

I don't find Weidman to be massive. I think he said recently he barely cuts weight. I think once they're in the cage, we're going to see some similar size MWs in terms of build. Kelvin is 5'9 I think but thick.

member 51464

When did USADA get instituted? That seems to be a pretty big marker for the latest generation of MMA when comparing eras. Makes sense for there to be a couple natural monsters (Romero) rather than half the damn roster.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
People often point to USADA and insinuate PED use but I think weight cutting and no longer being able to rehydrate with IVs is a factor for some of these guys as well. Weidman is still a pretty big guy and would probably do well in that shallow LHW division.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Seeing these two guys yesterday, the size difference was very obvious. One guy should be fighting at 170 and one will probably fight at 205 st some point of his career.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Seeing these two guys yesterday, the size difference was very obvious. One guy should be fighting at 170 and one will probably fight at 205 st some point of his career.

I'd say Weidman is a natural MW. He's very, very lean. Tall though. Kelvin should be at MW longer as a punishment. He's missed weight three times and was pulled from a fight taking NY away from Cerrone.

He's done this MW thing, went down after making a promise he'd take control of his diet and nothing.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
I didn't even look at the rest of the main card, but it looks pretty solid for a FN.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Nice win for Cummins. Crazy that two seriously flawed fighters like that are pushing on the top ten of the UFC.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Also want to add, no idea why the UFC doesn't push up their events to always start at this time. Not sure why they want their main events pushing past midnight for most of the audience. 8 or 9 EST start time is much better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad