GDT: UFC Fight Night: Thompson vs. Till

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Finally some action in the final round but an underwhelming fight overall. I'd guess 48-47 Wonderboy.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Can Wonderboy just get cut from the UFC? So tired of watching him awkwardly move around and fight for points with no killer instinct. I always feel let down by him, I mean it almost looked like a sparring session.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
when you are as defensive as Wonderboy is, you need to be a master at the art of bulls**t . You need to give the impression your opponent was completely ineffective and useless. Till no sold everything Wonderboy did. Wonderboy's response to getting hit was giving away ground.

As an example, Benson Henderson giving someone his back for the entire round and yet winning the round because he was fixing his hair with pure swagger. Being able to trick judges that you did something by doing NOTHING and winning rounds that way is a must for low volume strikers.

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Thought Thompson won that fight going away. Till tried to load up on one shot the entire fight and literally did nothing aside from the one punch that dropped Wonderboy. The fight was fought at the distance and pace that Thompson dictated. Controlled it the entire time.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
when you are as defensive as Wonderboy is, you need to be a master at the art of bulls**t . You need to give the impression your opponent was completely ineffective and useless. Till no sold everything Wonderboy did. Wonderboy's response to getting hit was giving away ground.

As an example, Benson Henderson giving someone his back for the entire round and yet winning the round because he was fixing his hair with pure swagger. Being able to trick judges that you did something by doing NOTHING and winning rounds that way is a must for low volume strikers.

Disagree. When you over sell a punch having no effect, it generally means it had an effect. Most high caliber judges realize this as well. Till shook his head to say it didn't hurt after numerous punches.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Disagree. When you over sell a punch having no effect, it generally means it had an effect. Most high caliber judges realize this as well. Till shook his head to say it didn't hurt after numerous punches.

there's a flaw with this tho. most judge are terrible and are prone to Bullshit

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
there's a flaw with this tho. most judge are terrible and are prone to Bull****

Fair point. :laugh:

Generally speaking, in fights that have no real big moments, you have to give more credit to the fighter who dictated the pace, the style, and the tempo of the fight. In this case, Till walked Thompson down a bunch, but like someone said about, didn't throw any punches. He simply cut off the ring at times, and Thompson would feint one way and escape the other. On the flip side, Thompson at least went forward throwing punches and kicks. Completely boring fight overall, and a very lackluster finish to a semi-entertaining card. Magny's finish was beautiful, as was the late comeback submission the fight before. The main even? Meh.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
Can Wonderboy just get cut from the UFC? So tired of watching him awkwardly move around and fight for points with no killer instinct. I always feel let down by him, I mean it almost looked like a sparring session.
He's the most boring striker in the UFC, there's a reason he gets paid so little for a top contender.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Till was definitely the aggressor, and Thompson was backpedaling most of the fight, but to me, that fight should've been a draw

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I didn't see this as a robbery. Till was the clear aggressor, nothing of consequence happened the entire fight outside of Till dropping Thompson, and while I know we're not scoring these fights as a whole, if the aggressor who also came by far the closest to finishing the fight gets the decision I'm fine with it.

Thompson seems like a real good guy, but I find him extremely boring and also lacking that killer instinct. Bisping said it perfectly, you hear that ten second noise, you know it's a close fight, and you do nothing?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Good win for Till, despite it not being impressive. The win over Cerrone was nice, but this fight showed that he can hang with the top of the division. Lots of criticism of Thompson in here and I'm fine with it for this fight. But before the Woodley fights, he was almost always fun to watch. It's hard for anyone to look good vs Woodley, and then there's this one.

Magny did his job. Craig White isn't UFC calibre.

Great comeback by Allen, but that fight was hard to watch until the finish. Credit to Burnell for pretty much winning the entire fight, but he got a bit sloppy. Funny interview from Allen, too. You have to question how he would fair against good wrestlers, though.

Speaking of bad wrestlers, Knight is so fun to watch but just can't wrestle. Too bad.. that first round was awesome.

Good finishes by both Breese and Stewart. Two fights where you knew if it stayed standing the other guy would be in trouble. Breese has always been an intriguing guy.

I came away from this card really, really intrigued by Claudio Silva. He didn't look great standing, but Taleb is a very solid guy and Silva just rolled right through him on the ground. I think there could be something interesting here.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
The Rory fight wasn't fun for Wonderboy either. His best performance came against a Hendricks, who in hindsight was starting to massively decline. At the elite level, where he's not over-matching someone, he's gonna put those fights consistently.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Loved Till's post-fight interview, by the way!

Seems like a really fun, likeable guy

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The Rory fight wasn't fun for Wonderboy either. His best performance came against a Hendricks, who in hindsight was starting to massively decline. At the elite level, where he's not over-matching someone, he's gonna put those fights consistently.

Maybe, but that's more a reflection of the division right now than Wonderboy. Thompson, Woodley, Covington, Maia, Usman.. all of these guys aren't putting on exciting fights right now because of the style matchups and strengths in neutralizing opponents. It's not a coincidence that Till's first fight vs the elite of the division he's involved in a snoozer as well.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
One of those fights where if I had to follow the 10 point must scoring system, I'd probably have given it to Wonderboy. If I just judge it overall, then I give it to Till. It was basically a stalemate until Till dropped him in the 5th. So I think the right guy won, but I don't like how they got there.

There's a lot of problems in the UFC right now. Weight cutting, interim belts, the judges' competency, 10 point must system, too many underwhelming cards...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad