Viewing: FS1, TSN 5

MAIN CARD (FS1, TSN 5)

Welterweight bout: Stephen Thompson vs. Darren Till
Welterweight bout: Neil Magny vs. Craig White
Featherweight bout: Arnold Allen vs. Mads Burnell
Featherweight bout: Jason Knight vs. Makwan Amirkhani
Bantamweight bout: Davey Grant vs. Manny Bermudez
Middleweight bout: Eric Spicely vs. Darren Stewart

PRELIMINARY CARD (FS1, Fight Network/UFC Fight Pass)

Welterweight bout: Cláudio Silva vs. Nordine Taleb
Middleweight bout: Dan Kelly vs. Tom Breese
Welterweight bout: Brad Scott vs. Carlo Pedersoli Jr.
Women's Flyweight bout: Gillian Robertson vs. Molly McCann

PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass)

Middleweight bout: Elias Theodorou vs. Trevor Smith
Women's Bantamweight bout: Gina Mazany vs. Lina Länsberg

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Another card with a good main event but no depth. There are some decent fighters like Magny, Amirkhani, Breese, etc but not many interesting fights. Just one more of these next week before we finally get to a good PPV.

Reactions: pistolpete11

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Great main event. Knight v Amirkhani should be fun.

Weird that Theodorou v Smith is buried like that, but whatever.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Another card with a good main event but no depth. There are some decent fighters like Magny, Amirkhani, Breese, etc but not many interesting fights. Just one more of these next week before we finally get to a good PPV.
As a fan, I'd really like for the UFC to rethink their strategy with PPVs and Fight Nights. I'd like to see PPVs absolutely stacked. Even though Wonderboy-Till isn't a title fight and neither are huge draws on their own (at least not yet in Till's case), it would go a long way in filling out a PPV. Fight Nights should focus on up and coming fighters. The Dern's and Zabit's should be headlining Fight Nights. If they must do CM Punk, then put him on a Fight Night, not a main card of a PPV. I think it would do a couple of things:

1. It would really highlight and help build more stars.
2. You don't have to worry about selling <100k PPVs like the last one.
3. You don't have to scramble to save a PPV if someone gets hurt/misses weight/gets flagged.

It's probably not as good financially so they'd never do it, but I know I'd like it more.

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
As a fan, I'd really like for the UFC to rethink their strategy with PPVs and Fight Nights. I'd like to see PPVs absolutely stacked. Even though Wonderboy-Till isn't a title fight and neither are huge draws on their own (at least not yet in Till's case), it would go a long way in filling out a PPV. Fight Nights should focus on up and coming fighters. The Dern's and Zabit's should be headlining Fight Nights. If they must do CM Punk, then put him on a Fight Night, not a main card of a PPV. I think it would do a couple of things:

1. It would really highlight and help build more stars.
2. You don't have to worry about selling <100k PPVs like the last one.
3. You don't have to scramble to save a PPV if someone gets hurt/misses weight/gets flagged.

It's probably not as good financially so they'd never do it, but I know I'd like it more.

The problem is that you need legit main events for these cards so that the fans in attendance have a reason to go. Till isn't a huge draw on TV, but for a card in Liverpool it makes perfect sense to have him headline there.

I think everyone wants a bit more depth on the PPVs and on the cards overall. You can either have less PPVs or have less of the smaller cards and have the same effect. They could also just get more fights out of their fighters - you see lots of the mid-tier fighters complaining about not getting enough fights, so it would seem like a simple fix to get them 3-4 fights a year instead of 2-3.

I find the construction of some of the cards very odd. Like the next PPV for example is stacked with depth - cool as a one-off, but it really weakens the surrounding cards. The undercard starting with Overeem v Blaydes is legitimately a better card than most Fight Night cards.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Till misses weight by 3.5 pounds.

Fight will still go ahead if he weighs no more than 188 pounds on Sunday at 1pm GMT.

The UFC really needs to figure out his weight cutting thing, it's getting more and more ridiculous it seems. Till really should be fighting at Middleweight at the lightest.

Yeah, this seems to be happening more often now. A fighter shouldn't be cutting weight and dehydrated the day of the fight so hopefully Till can stay at 188 lbs pretty easily. It's also kinda ridiculous that there's concern about whether he can be within 18 lbs of the WW limit.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I know it's on the fighters to do their job, but it's also on the UFC to punish these guys/girls when they don't.

They have the resources to easily do it, too. If you miss weight, your new division is the next one up. To be eligible for the old divison again, you need to do a healthy weight cut to the correct weight. They can weigh-in at a future card they aren't scheduled on, or whatever works.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Came to post similar thoughts. The UFC needs to really crack down on this. Half your purse and you're forced to take your next fight or two at the next weight class. It's getting ridiculous.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Here's the solution to the overweight problem:

First offense the fighter loses 30% of their purse. 2nd offense is 40%. 3rd offense is 50%, etc.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com

early early weigh-ins showing to be a failure of a change. I'll keep saying: the only good solution to this is the ONE FC or the amateur wrestling way, same day as fight weigh-ins.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Great first round in Knight - Amirkhani

That was awesome. Unfortunately, the fight slowed down after that.

Couple of nice finishes so far. Poor Dan Kelly was on the wrong end of one of them.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Magny does what was expected against an unranked opponent. Too bad Gunnar got hurt because that could've been a fun and competitive fight.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The weight issue will take something away from it but I still hope Till pulls it off. Wonderboy's great but I have zero interest in seeing him fight Woodley again anytime soon.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
How do you score a round where nothing happens? I guess I'd go with Wonderboy.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Not much going on here. I have no idea what to expect from the judges.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->