GDT: UFC Fight Night: Strickland vs Hermansson

bov

Nov 13, 2010
48-47 Hermansson is disgusting, if not criminal. The scumbag who put that down needs to be dealt with. I can't stand Strickland but that is the worst scorecard I have ever seen in the UFC.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
48-47 Hermansson is disgusting, if not criminal. The scumbag who put that down needs to be dealt with. I can't stand Strickland but that is the worst scorecard I have ever seen in the UFC.

I remember Felder been given a victory by one judge against Dos Anjos and even he was in shock because it was obvious he lost the fight. Wondering if it was the same judge.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I know he’s been around for a while. Probably a good message to Strickland he needs to step out his output

Bisping was right saying if he wants a title fight he needs to show a bit more. It was enough to win, but was it enough to convince Dana he should be the next contender? I don't think so.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Not sure it's time quite yet but Sean vs Izzy definitely needs to happen at some point. The shit talking will be amazing

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
What a snoozefest. By the first takedown attempt, maybe second, you knew how this fight was going to go. I think Strickland won, but honestly wasn't paying close enough attention to justify why. If you go strictly by the numbers (which you should never do), it was actually pretty close.

This was my first time seeing Rokhmonov. Luke Thomas has been crazy high on him and easy to see why. Still very early in his career, so we'll see, but definitely one to keep an eye on.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Izzy would f*** Strickland up, I think. Strickland is a solid fighter with good hands and better striking defense than his madman persona, but I don't he's athletic enough, powerful enough, or diverse enough to really cause Izzy any problems. Different in style, but kind of the same way I felt about Vettori.

Unless he gets real lucky with timing, injuries, etc., he's got at least 1 more fight before he gets to the title anyway, though. He doesn't jump in front of the Brunson-Cannonier winner with a fight like that.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Luke Thomas brought up a good point about this card last night....

At least the main card started at 7. Remember when even run of the mill Fight Nights would start at 10pm? If you're on EST, could you imagine staying up until 1am to watch that main event? I wish PPV's would start earlier, too, but I know they have international considerations.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Luke Thomas brought up a good point about this card last night....

At least the main card started at 7. Remember when even run of the mill Fight Nights would start at 10pm? If you're on EST, could you imagine staying up until 1am to watch that main event? I wish PPV's would start earlier, too, but I know they have international considerations.

I wonder what's going on with the fight times for the ESPN cards in general. Are they moving them around based on other ESPN programming? I'm in PST and I'm pretty sure we've had these main cards start at 1pm, 3pm, 4pm, 5pm, 6pm, and 7pm within the last year. Maybe even a morning one at some point too.

What's curious about the PPV's staying at 7pm is they did move them to 6pm briefly in 2011 but it didn't last very long. I find it hard to imagine that they wouldn't get more eyeballs if they just moved everything to like 5pm PST (8pm EST) but I'm sure they know their business better than me.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I wonder what's going on with the fight times for the ESPN cards in general. Are they moving them around based on other ESPN programming? I'm in PST and I'm pretty sure we've had these main cards start at 1pm, 3pm, 4pm, 5pm, 6pm, and 7pm within the last year. Maybe even a morning one at some point too.

What's curious about the PPV's staying at 7pm is they did move them to 6pm briefly in 2011 but it didn't last very long. I find it hard to imagine that they wouldn't get more eyeballs if they just moved everything to like 5pm PST (8pm EST) but I'm sure they know their business better than me.
Yeah, 8:00-8:30 EST is kind of the sweet spot for primetime games in other sports. That's why I always assumed the reason the UFC started at 10:00 was for international. I don't know, though. If that was the best for PPV's, why wouldn't it be best for Fight Nights? Hopefully they are just testing stuff out and they land on earlier start times for everything.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Yeah, 8:00-8:30 EST is kind of the sweet spot for primetime games in other sports. That's why I always assumed the reason the UFC started at 10:00 was for international. I don't know, though. If that was the best for PPV's, why wouldn't it be best for Fight Nights? Hopefully they are just testing stuff out and they land on earlier start times for everything.

I guess one part of it is that the sport used to be really gate-driven for profits and a good percentage of the PPVs are on the West Coast. Having a main card start at 7pm when you are there live is pretty much perfect. I have to think that business model has changed a bit though and losing a few live fans for a 5pm card vs all the extra Eastern fans watching is an easy trade-off.

But yeah, hopefully this is a test run.

Reactions: pistolpete11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad