GDT: UFC Fight Night: Machida vs. Anders

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I had it 48-47 for Anders. 49-46 for Machida is a hilarious card.

That wasn't a good fight and doubt Machida wins it if it wasn't in Brazil.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I believe it's on the ref to intervene in a fight when a fighter is in serious trouble and unable to defend themselves. At no point did it appear as though Cachoeira was in real danger for a prolonged period of time. Yes, there were short spurts, but she seemed to maintain her composure throughout the fight

If you want to blame someone, how about Cachoeira's corner for not throwing in the towel when their fighter was in over her head?

Killahpunk

Legend
Jun 29, 2009
Eastern Canada
Does anyone on the East Coast actually stay up until 1AM to watch these fights? No idea why the UFC runs them so late.
I actually feel asleep during the 4th round of the last night. These Fight Night cards are often a struggle for me to keep awake for unless it's a real intriguing main event.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I believe it's on the ref to intervene in a fight when a fighter is in serious trouble and unable to defend themselves. At no point did it appear as though Cachoeira was in real danger for a prolonged period of time. Yes, there were short spurts, but she seemed to maintain her composure throughout the fight

If you want to blame someone, how about Cachoeira's corner for not throwing in the towel when their fighter was in over her head?
She was taking ungodly amounts of punishment and wasn't intelligently defending herself, Yammasaki HAS to stop the fight. For Christ's sake watch the end of the fight where she's getting freaking pummeled while that idiot just stands there and watched. If Shevchenko didn't decide to show mercy and choke her out instead we may have had our first fatality in UFC.

Reactions: Asiantuntija

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
She was taking ungodly amounts of punishment and wasn't intelligently defending herself, Yammasaki HAS to stop the fight. For Christ's sake watch the end of the fight where she's getting freaking pummeled while that idiot just stands there and watched. If Shevchenko didn't decide to show mercy and choke her out instead we may have had our first fatality in UFC.

No he doesn't

At no point during that fight did I think the ref absolutely should be stopping the fight

However, there were plenty of times I thought Cachoeira's corner should've thrown in the towel

So you can lay all the blame on the ref, but there were others there that could've stopped the fight and didn't

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
You must've been watching a different fight. I saw a fighter who was getting pummeled who could not defend herself. For God's sake watch the end of the fight where she is just eating punches on the ground with no defense whatsoever. It was like watching the type of travesty you would see in PRIDE. I'd be willing to bet any amount of money if say Big John were the ref he stops that fight long before it actually was.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
You must've been watching a different fight. I saw a fighter who was getting pummeled who could not defend herself. For God's sake watch the end of the fight where she is just eating punches on the ground with no defense whatsoever. It was like watching the type of travesty you would see in PRIDE. I'd be willing to bet any amount of money if say Big John were the ref he stops that fight long before it actually was.

You keep ignoring my point, so there's really not much to be gained from continuing the discussion

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I was fine with the fight continuing. Yes, it was a beating. It's MMA, that happens sometimes.

I think if it was a men's fight people wouldn't have thought too much of it.

Terrible matchmaklng though. There's a reason Brazilian can-crushers usually used to get 20 wins before the UFC called.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Yamasaki's faults were
1) Missing the taps twice at the end
2) giving zero warning to Cachoeira to improve her position or fighting back. It's not so much the beating that was bad. it's 200+ unanswered shots. Can't just shell up and do nothing but staying conscious. Good refs tend to give auditory sign of when they'll step in when a heavy pounding is occurring. A silence from the ref just means there's no urge to get out of that pounding position as long x fighter is conscious.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I was fine with the fight continuing. Yes, it was a beating. It's MMA, that happens sometimes.

I think if it was a men's fight people wouldn't have thought too much of it.

Terrible matchmaklng though. There's a reason Brazilian can-crushers usually used to get 20 wins before the UFC called.

I don't think it would've lasted had it been a men's fight

There's a big difference in power between 125 lb man and a 125 lb woman

Also, women have thicker skulls then men, so there's that too

Last edited:

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Just saw the Shevchenko fight. Brutal. There were at least five times when I would have expected the fight to end. I've seen plenty of other fights called for much less.

The ref should have given a warning he would stop it after the first series of elbows in the first round. He should have then told the corner after the first round that if he sees anything like that again he's calling it. White rightfully so has gone off on him.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Even when Cachoeira was getting pummeled, she was trying to improve her position, even going for a takedown, albeit poorly.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
The ref should've stopped the fight. Mind you her corner are just as guilty as the ref for not throwing in the towel.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Only a few I can remember. I believe Nate Diaz's corner did when he was losing to Josh Thomson though it was concurrent with the fight ending anyway. BJ Penn v GSP and Gastelum v Marquardt both had corners quit between rounds.

Happened a bunch in Pride.

Last edited:
Reactions: Killahpunk

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Yamasaki's faults were
1) Missing the taps twice at the end
2) giving zero warning to Cachoeira to improve her position or fighting back. It's not so much the beating that was bad. it's 200+ unanswered shots. Can't just shell up and do nothing but staying conscious. Good refs tend to give auditory sign of when they'll step in when a heavy pounding is occurring. A silence from the ref just means there's no urge to get out of that pounding position as long x fighter is conscious.

Yamasaki says he did, and when he did, she would move. So, I dunno.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's not culpable here but aside from missing the tap, I was fine with it overall. I think more blame should be pointed at her corner for not throwing in the towel (I don't GAF about her not wanting her corner to throw it in), and the UFC for making this fight in the first place. IMO, Yamasaki, her corner and Dana/Sean Shelby each take 33.3% here.

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Yamasaki says he did, and when he did, she would move. So, I dunno.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's not culpable here but aside from missing the tap, I was fine with it overall. I think more blame should be pointed at her corner for not throwing in the towel (I don't GAF about her not wanting her corner to throw it in), and the UFC for making this fight in the first place. IMO, Yamasaki, her corner and Dana/Sean Shelby each take 33.3% here.

You really think Dana White has anything to do with booking a mid-card fight on a Fight Night card in Brazil? This one's on Shelby, who I think does the matchmaking for all of the women's divisions.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
You really think Dana White has anything to do with booking a mid-card fight on a Fight Night card in Brazil? This one's on Shelby, who I think does the matchmaking for all of the women's divisions.

Against one of the UFC's best female fighters? Absolutely. And yes, Shelby does the matchmaking but let's say Dana had no clue who Cachoeira was (which I highly doubt), then he still needs to shut up on social media and stop trying to deflect the horrible decision his guys made to make this fight in the first place.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Against one of the UFC's best female fighters? Absolutely. And yes, Shelby does the matchmaking but let's say Dana had no clue who Cachoeira was (which I highly doubt), then he still needs to shut up on social media and stop trying to deflect the horrible decision his guys made to make this fight in the first place.

I saw one post on Twitter where he praised his fighter and ripped the ref. Really stretching here to go after Dana White.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I saw one post on Twitter where he praised his fighter and ripped the ref. Really stretching here to go after Dana White.

Fair enough, I'll rephrase it to more about going after the UFC than Dana, but, since Dana speaks on behalf of all the UFC, he's the one who's going to get the criticism. And when he makes a posts praising a fighter who had no business in there to begin with -and a lot of the replies to his posts were saying just that- while at the same time criticizing the ref (albeit deservedly), the post itself comes off looking like it's trying to deflect the glaring mismatch and their own culpability in it all.

End of the day though, Cachoeira wasn't seriously hurt and hopefully this will be enough for commissions to send Yamasaki to the regional circuit for a few months. So all's well that ends well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad