GDT: UFC Fight Night: Cerrone vs. Till

Boris Le Tigre

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jan 9, 2007
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Very impressive performance from Till.

He is such a big dude for the weight class. I think he missed making weight once before too. Maybe he will have to move up at some point, and if he lives up to the championship hype he can have a super fight with Whittaker.

I hope the UFC will make more catchweight and super fights (allowing 2 division champs I like that too). It is martial arts, after all, so fundamentally if a fighter thinks he or she is the best then they should want to fight all the other fighters with rival claims (within reasonable limits, like Mighty Mouse vs. Ngannou is not a good idea). Sort of like the open weight category or grand champion brackets in traditional martial arts tournaments (give em a trophy, title, cash prize, medal).

The UFC is at a pivotal point and I like the direction things are going in this one area. I like the new round scoring system too and it is another way to be more like traditional martial arts instead of trying to rip-off the rules, look and feel of boxing.

One of the worst things about boxing, in the Mayweather era, is that championship fights were not always best vs best. The UFC should go full on bushido! There are so many potential matchups with guys emerging (Garbrandt and Johnson, Holloway and Ferguson, Holloway and McGregor, McGregor and Woodley, Khabib and Woodley, .Cormier and Ngannou).

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Yes those super genetics makes it easier to success. Till is big welterweight with absolutely incredible stand up. Did Cerrone touch him even once?

I also think he has enough confidence & skills to beat Woodley. Stephen was very scared about that right hand at both fights and that was big factor. I don't really know can he beat Wonderboy at the moment, if i had to guess i would pick Till but won't put money for him. Wonderboy & Woodley is getting out of their prime, so Till will be champion sooner or later.

one of Till or Usman is likely going to be the next champ. Usman more likely than the other, but Till is still only 24 and only in his 4th year of a pro MMA fighter, which is usually where fighters tend to start putting their game together.

I need to watch a bit more of Till to figure out exactly where he is, especially compared to someone like Usman. I feel like I know exactly what Usman is - a great wrestler with improving standup. He's made great strides since TUF, I just wish he could get some higher-profile fights.

The next guy to add to the mix will be Covington if he can get past Maia this weekend.

Some fun young guys at 170.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Giving Till all the credit he deserves, but is this the end for Cerrone? KO'd twice in his last 3, loser of 3 straight, and 4-4 in his last 8. Doesn't seem like he's headed in the right direction at this point.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Giving Till all the credit he deserves, but is this the end for Cerrone? KO'd twice in his last 3, loser of 3 straight, and 4-4 in his last 8. Doesn't seem like he's headed in the right direction at this point.

He's probably done as an elite fighter. But honestly, it's not like he's losing fights he shouldn't lose either. He's forever going to be a match-up dependent guy that struggles to effective pressure fighting. He could probably still blow away the Magny/DHK/Saffiedine/Nelson of the division. Honestly, it's a shame he's on a losing streak, because i would have like to see how he would handle Woodley and Wonderboy who have about zero interest/desire/proficiency in pressure fighting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->