UFC 226: Miocic vs Cormier

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
Yeah this is a ridiculously tough pick and crazy good fight.
However there is a blueprint to beat DC for someone with Stipe's size and skill.
Right now Stipe's in his prime and has been outclassing everyone that comes near him. Leaning Stipe but no where near as confident as I was with him against Francis.

Also rumored to be on this fight week card Mighty Mouse vs Dillashaw, and Cyborg vs Nunes
SIGN ME THE **** UP

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Might Mouse made the demand to be on a stacked card as a condition to fight TJ. Def would be the proper card to do it. Tho we all know the curse of the MM stacked cards. The fights above MM will be pulled out, until MM becomes the main event

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Might Mouse made the demand to be on a stacked card as a condition to fight TJ. Def would be the proper card to do it. Tho we all know the curse of the MM stacked cards. The fights above MM will be pulled out, until MM becomes the main event

I used to feel bad for DJ when this happened, but after this recent stuff about him only being willing to fight TJ on a stacked card so he can collect free PPV points.. I just don't care. I am cheering for Dillashaw.

Reactions: member 51464

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
You made a dumb statement and now you're backtracking. :laugh:

Would be easier for you to come out and say you have no idea what you're talking about.

Let's see what happens, i will be really surprised if DC is able to close the distance.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
So basically the UFC is admitting that they have zero prospects in the LHW and HW divisions. Cain obviously isn't close to coming back, and the UFC has little desire for Gus to hold a belt. UFC better be praying Cormier doesn't get injured if he wins.

Not only that, but this card is utter insanity. UFC is risking having 6, SIX, divisions being held up and looking like Middleweight with all these champion vs champion fights. Not to mention TJ has contenders at 135 and constantly feeding Cyborg W135ers is just making her reign look even more of a joke. Hell, what if Amanda wins? Then what?

How badly in the red is the UFC to risk holding up 3-6 divisions for the rest of 2018 and into 2019 if they're putting all their eggs in one basket like this? They may as well come out and say screwing all the divisions is a better move than promoting new talent, and getting the guys ranked 10-15 up the ladder.

Don't get me wrong. I like the idea of all 3 fights. And I'm going to be watching. But it's a huge risk for WME to put all 3 on one card. Space them out if need be. Stipe/Cain in July, put TJ/DJ on the Tony/Khabib card, and Nunes/Cyborg on the September card.

Last edited:

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
Don't get me wrong. I like the idea of all 3 fights. And I'm going to be watching. But it's a huge risk for WME to put all 3 on one card. Space them out if need be. Stipe/Cain in July, put TJ/DJ on the Tony/Khabib card, and Nunes/Cyborg on the September card.
Well if it's the only way Mighty Mouse will fight Tj what are they going to do?? I honestly feel like DJ deserves getting on a card like this.

The draw of this is obviously 6 champions in 3 fights, I mean it's unheard of, I dont see how it doesn't get crazy PPV numbers. Amanda and Cyborg could for sure get their own card. They barely get touched in their divisions, could fight tomorrow...but the UFC probably crunches numbers and it makes sense for them to just shoot for a couple massive cards a year and then grind out the rest.

They have title fights booked through end of April anyway. 221 is looking garbage because of the Whittaker injury unfortunately, 222 also not looking special. 223 could be lit though, just depends on matchmaking...there's a bunch of newer fighters people really want to see (Gaethje, Till, Saki, Zabit), so it's just a matter how they fill out cards if they're short on title fights.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Well if it's the only way Mighty Mouse will fight Tj what are they going to do?? I honestly feel like DJ deserves getting on a card like this.

The draw of this is obviously 6 champions in 3 fights, I mean it's unheard of, I dont see how it doesn't get crazy PPV numbers. Amanda and Cyborg could for sure get their own card. They barely get touched in their divisions, could fight tomorrow...but the UFC probably crunches numbers and it makes sense for them to just shoot for a couple massive cards a year and then grind out the rest.

They have title fights booked through end of April anyway. 221 is looking garbage because of the Whittaker injury unfortunately, 222 also not looking special. 223 could be lit though, just depends on matchmaking...there's a bunch of newer fighters people really want to see (Gaethje, Till, Saki, Zabit), so it's just a matter how they fill out cards if they're short on title fights.

I like that DJ is getting on a big card. But it doesn't have to be 226. 223 is going to be huge too. And it would space out possible division hold ups a bit better than having all three fights in July. If all three go down on 226, you'd only have Holloway fighting wherever/whenever (thank god for that), maybe, MAYBE, Woodley, and maybe, MAYBE Tony/Khabib vs Conor. We'll be lucky if Whittaker is back by the end of the year. Ok sure, you'll have Strawweight and W-Flyweight, but Joanna doesn't sell PPVs. So you run the risk of only having one men's title fight for the rest of 2018.

I'm not speaking in absolutes here, I'm not guaranteeing it will go down like this. But with 221 and 222 already looking like crap, I cringe to think what cards in August beyond look like. As for the guys you mentioned, with the exception of Gaethji (who is fighting Porier on UFC on Fox 29) no one who's ranked wants to give the likes of Till, Saki and Zabit a shot.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Regardless, your statement that Cormier is way too small HW was dumb given that he's already proven to be successful in the division. Saying you don't think he matches up well with Stipe is a different discussion.

I would say it was dumbly shaped. I really like DC i just don't see him beating Miocic or even Ngannou.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

I wonder if it will do "crazy PPV numbers", even with 3 champ v champ fights. I don't think it hits the two big PPVs of last year (Jones/Cormer 2 & GSP/Bisping) which both did over 800k. I think it certainly does more than the 3rd biggest PPV of Holm/Cyborg which did 350-400k.

So maybe 500-600k? None of the six participants are huge draws on their own.

I think the real appeal would be having a massive event/push right around when they are signing that new TV deal. I don't know when they officially can sign it, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's in July so that they have this big showcase event and announce the future plans.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I like that DJ is getting on a big card. But it doesn't have to be 226. 223 is going to be huge too. And it would space out possible division hold ups a bit better than having all three fights in July. If all three go down on 226, you'd only have Holloway fighting wherever/whenever (thank god for that), maybe, MAYBE, Woodley, and maybe, MAYBE Tony/Khabib vs Conor. We'll be lucky if Whittaker is back by the end of the year. Ok sure, you'll have Strawweight and W-Flyweight, but Joanna doesn't sell PPVs. So you run the risk of only having one men's title fight for the rest of 2018.

I'm not speaking in absolutes here, I'm not guaranteeing it will go down like this. But with 221 and 222 already looking like crap, I cringe to think what cards in August beyond look like. As for the guys you mentioned, with the exception of Gaethji (who is fighting Porier on UFC on Fox 29) no one who's ranked wants to give the likes of Till, Saki and Zabit a shot.

So here's the latest with DJ:

Demetrious Johnson Lays Out His Demands For Possible TJ Dillashaw Fight

I've seen a similar article in a bunch of places, but one thing to note that he had shoulder surgery earlier this month. While not impossible, it's probably unlikely he's fighting in April.

The other thing that's interesting is that I always assumed it was Dillashaw dropping to 125lbs to fight for DJ's belt. But when you think about it, it makes more sense to DJ for him to jump up to 135lbs and fight for Dillashaw's belt. That gives him the chance to hold two belts without risking his 125lb belt. Wonder what they will end up doing.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
So here's the latest with DJ:

Demetrious Johnson Lays Out His Demands For Possible TJ Dillashaw Fight

I've seen a similar article in a bunch of places, but one thing to note that he had shoulder surgery earlier this month. While not impossible, it's probably unlikely he's fighting in April.

The other thing that's interesting is that I always assumed it was Dillashaw dropping to 125lbs to fight for DJ's belt. But when you think about it, it makes more sense to DJ for him to jump up to 135lbs and fight for Dillashaw's belt. That gives him the chance to hold two belts without risking his 125lb belt. Wonder what they will end up doing.

I'd have to go back and re-listen to it, but DJ did an interview with Jason Ellis on Siriusxm back in November and said that he normally walks around 137-140lbs, and that's while eating a ton of fast food, lol. TJ, I believe walks around 150, IIRC from a Rogan podcast, so DJ can go up in weight, but he'd be barely cutting. He also said he'll fight TJ at 125 or 135 but he wants $2 million. If not, he'll gladly collect his $380K and fight the #1 contender at Flyweight.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
how long do you think Jones will be suspended for?
At least a year. DC wants to be out at 40, he turns 39 in March I believe. So by the time Jon is actually back (and this is best case scenario), he will have just missed DC.

And honestly, I think if DC beats Stipe he retires on a high note. He has already cleaned out LHW, there is nobody left for him. Sure he can rematch with Gus, but what's the point? He already beat him once and doesn't need to risk a loss in the rematch.

Reactions: PrinceSexyHenrik

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I would love to see Cormier fight a couple more times at HW if he wins. If he beat Miocic, Werdum, and another #1 contender you are looking at an amazing resume in two divisions.

Linda Bacon

Canada fan
Nov 7, 2017
At least a year. DC wants to be out at 40, he turns 39 in March I believe. So by the time Jon is actually back (and this is best case scenario), he will have just missed DC.

And honestly, I think if DC beats Stipe he retires on a high note. He has already cleaned out LHW, there is nobody left for him. Sure he can rematch with Gus, but what's the point? He already beat him once and doesn't need to risk a loss in the rematch.
it's hard to be a Jones fan. Do I want to see DC v Jones 3? not really, I think that ship has sailed.

DC vs Stipe is going to be interesting, not sure who wins.

Reactions: Neutrinos

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I would love to see Cormier fight a couple more times at HW if he wins. If he beat Miocic, Werdum, and another #1 contender you are looking at an amazing resume in two divisions.
I like to watch DC fight but if he beats Stipe those other fights are pointless outside of money. He really has nothing to prove by beating any of those guys and is just adding miles to a body that already has a lot of them.

Last edited:

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Cormier's standup game looked rather amateurish in his last fight
Not at all. To me it looked like he let Volkan come out swinging and ate a few shots to feel out his power, then went in and took advantage of the way Volkan left himself exposed. He got him with crisp powerful shots.

Reactions: Gains

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I like to watch DC fight but if he beats Stipe those other fights are pointless outside of money. He really has nothing to prove by beating any of those guys and is just adding miles to a boos that already has a lot of them.

I don't think it's pointless at all. I think with his previous resume at HW, wins over Miocic, Werdum, and one other top contender have him in consideration for best HW of all-time.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Goes to show how good Jones is. DC beats Stipe and you're talking about one of the all-time greats, and Jones has handled him twice. I know he's made a lot of mistakes and isn't terribly well liked these days but he's in a category by himself IMO.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Yes good for him and hats off because Cormier is welterweight sized guy fighting at the heavyweight. Stipe is different kind of animal than guys in your sentence. I will be really surprised if Miocic doesn't knock him out.

they're all former champions

you don't know what you're talking about
you keep bringing up size, but DC has suplexed guys bigger than stipe

it's closer than you think
DC started his career in the heavy weight division and is undefeated in the heavy weight division

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Goes to show how good Jones is. DC beats Stipe and you're talking about one of the all-time greats, and Jones has handled him twice. I know he's made a lot of mistakes and isn't terribly well liked these days but he's in a category by himself IMO.

Absolutely. Best of all-time, and it's not close at all.

Reactions: BGDDYKWL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->