GDT: UFC 224: Nunes vs. Pennington

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Good fights.

People are going to overreact to Pennington's corner pushing her out there for Round 5, but I was fine with what they said.

Reactions: amj h

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Nunes/Pennington went longer than I expected but no surprise that it was completely one-sided. Pennington had nothing for her and shouldn't have gone out there in the last round. Women's 135 is really bad now and the only interesting fight for Nunes is against Cyborg.

Very close fight between Gastelum and Jacare but I think that was the correct decision. The fight really slowed down towards the end but I was still impressed with Gastelum, even though he couldn't finish a very tired Jacare. He survived on the ground in the first round and easily took all of Jacare's shots. He has to be right up there for the next title shot.

Dern looked great but missing weight takes a lot away from her win. This wasn't like Kevin Lee recently where he missed by one pound and probably would've made it if they gave him the additional hour like some commissions do. She missed weight so badly that she was closer to the weight class above than she was her own. Still, you can see why there's this hype around her so hopefully she can get it together.

Great KO by Lineker. The walk-off finishes are always awesome.

Same goes for Machida with his KO. I can't believe he Couture'd someone again. I still don't fully believe we've seen the last of Vitor but if so, that's a very tough way to go out. He's become a bit of a punchline recently because of the TRT stuff but it was fun watching him over the years.

Reactions: amj h

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Didn't bother watching this one. Sounds like some good fights, but I don't regret it. Just not enough interesting fights that mattered for me.

Nunes - Did anybody expect anything different? I'd like to see her and Cyborg, but I think Cyborg probably smashes her. They are similar skill sets IMO, but Cyborg is much bigger. Still, they are probably the only fight for each other that would draw interest. Maybe Holly and Nunes, but it's hard to give Holly any more title shots without her winning some fights first.

Gastelum - Does he get the winner of Whittaker-Romero? Hard to make a case for anyone else. Seeing Wideman beat Gastelum in his last fight, maybe him, but he hasn't fought since then. Gastelum has beat Bisping and Jacre since that fight.

Dern - Really? 7lbs? She's the new UFC hype train, so they probably won't be too upset with her, but she's got to get something figured out because a lot of commissions wouldn't let that fight go on.

Lineker - Why isn't he fighting top guys? He's ranked #6, beat Dodson, and lost a decision to TJ. Other than that, he hasn't fought anyone in the top 10.

Machida - Good for him, I guess? I don't really care for watching legends that are past their prime and not going to factor into the title picture anymore. If they're healthy enough to fight and want the paycheck, go for it, I guess. I just don't care about watching it.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Didn't bother watching this one. Sounds like some good fights, but I don't regret it. Just not enough interesting fights that mattered for me.

Nunes - Did anybody expect anything different? I'd like to see her and Cyborg, but I think Cyborg probably smashes her. They are similar skill sets IMO, but Cyborg is much bigger. Still, they are probably the only fight for each other that would draw interest. Maybe Holly and Nunes, but it's hard to give Holly any more title shots without her winning some fights first.

Gastelum - Does he get the winner of Whittaker-Romero? Hard to make a case for anyone else. Seeing Wideman beat Gastelum in his last fight, maybe him, but he hasn't fought since then. Gastelum has beat Bisping and Jacre since that fight.

Dern - Really? 7lbs? She's the new UFC hype train, so they probably won't be too upset with her, but she's got to get something figured out because a lot of commissions wouldn't let that fight go on.

Lineker - Why isn't he fighting top guys? He's ranked #6, beat Dodson, and lost a decision to TJ. Other than that, he hasn't fought anyone in the top 10.

Machida - Good for him, I guess? I don't really care for watching legends that are past their prime and not going to factor into the title picture anymore. If they're healthy enough to fight and want the paycheck, go for it, I guess. I just don't care about watching it.

It's brutal how bad the woman's MMA is in general, but especially at 125, 135, and 145 lbs. It's crazy the UFC would add all of these divisions when there is really nothing there. I think Ketlan Vieira will be up next at 135 as she's looked great in the UFC, but I doubt people are really excited about that one.

And yeah, Gastelum has to get that winner with Weidman on the shelf injured.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
It's brutal how bad the woman's MMA is in general, but especially at 125, 135, and 145 lbs. It's crazy the UFC would add all of these divisions when there is really nothing there. I think Ketlan Vieira will be up next at 135 as she's looked great in the UFC, but I doubt people are really excited about that one.

And yeah, Gastelum has to get that winner with Weidman on the shelf injured.
The women's 135 was interesting there for a minute when Holly more or less headkicked Ronda into retirement and that Holly-Tate fight was awesome. Since though, with Ronda and Tate retiring and Holly flipping back and fourth between 135 and 145, it's been brutal. 115 is not too bad. I liked that they added 125. The difference between 115 and 135 is just too big. It's taking too long to develop, though. It's been 6 months since that girl won the 'title' and she doesn't even have a fight booked. 145 is a joke, but we all know why they added that division.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The women's 135 was interesting there for a minute when Holly more or less headkicked Ronda into retirement and that Holly-Tate fight was awesome. Since though, with Ronda and Tate retiring and Holly flipping back and fourth between 135 and 145, it's been brutal. 115 is not too bad. I liked that they added 125. The difference between 115 and 135 is just too big. It's taking too long to develop, though. It's been 6 months since that girl won the 'title' and she doesn't even have a fight booked. 145 is a joke, but we all know why they added that division.

Yeah, there was a brief period where 135lbs was pretty fun. 115 has been good.

At least at 145 & 125 lbs they aren't signing a bunch of garbage fighters to round out these divisions. I am fine with just having the champions and then a handful of fighters. Those divisions can be around 8 fighters deep if not even less. Shevchenko will have that 125lb belt right now, there's nobody from that show that is even close to her level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->