GDT: UFC 223: Khabib vs. Iaquinta

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Wonder what they do next at 155.

I would just book Khabib v Ferguson with a co-main of contenders (Eddie Alvarez v whoever) so you have the backup plan.

Then if Conor comes back, have him fight Nate to finish off the trilogy. Easier fight for Conor to come back to.

I think you book Khabib/Ferguson next but as the co-main for a big card. It'd be hard to put all of that effort and money into promoting that fight again only to have it fall apart and then be stuck with one of those two vs. someone like Alvarez as the main event.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
How bad is Tony’s injury? Khabib said he would defend this year.

Neither Tony nor probably Conor will fight this year.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
- Khabib deserves a ton of credit IMO. Almost his entire training camp was for a BJJ guy. Then he took a striker on 6 days notice. Then he took a wrestler with power on 24 hours notice. A lot of guys give the "anyone, anywhere, anytime" line, but few mean it. Besides maybe Cowboy, I'm not sure there is anyone left in the UFC who means that more than Khabib.

- Despite his ranking, Raging Al is legit. Maybe not champion legit, but he's a good fighter and Khabib kicked his ass. I like Rogan, but I didn't understand why he was criticizing Khabib so much. Yes, we stands too straight up which could cost him against a guy like Conor, but he was eating Al alive with the jab and had already won the first 2 rounds in dominant fashion. Why take any risks?

- The holes in Khabib's stand-up is why Conor or Tony are such intriguing opponents, though. It's pretty clear Khabib is going to smash anyone on the ground, but he has to get it there first. I especially would like to see Tony. He's got the BJJ to not be terrified by going to the ground, power to knock Khabib out, and stamina to get through some of Khabib's ground and pound. I just don't know how you sell that fight again unless it is a last minute replacement.

- I hope Al got paid handsomely.

- LOL at the judges scorecard on the Co-main. I thought Rose won, but 4-1? I thought it was pretty clear 2-2 going into the 5th.

- Rooting for Joanna is so tough. I liked her before TUF, but hated her on that show. Then I started to like her again because it seemed like she was just trying to play the heal. But she's come across very poorly after 2 clear losses to Rose, IMO.

- I don't dislike Rose, but I don't think she's some sweet, innocent girl, either. If there is a sweet, innocent girl in the UFC, then it is Karolina. I hope she gets the next title shot, though it would be hard to argue with Andrade or Claudia if she wins her next fight.

Reactions: tacogeoff

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think you book Khabib/Ferguson next but as the co-main for a big card. It'd be hard to put all of that effort and money into promoting that fight again only to have it fall apart and then be stuck with one of those two vs. someone like Alvarez as the main event.

That probably works too - maybe it works as a co-main for a bigger card in the summer or fall. Either way I think despite what Dana said last week, that's the fight to make.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
That probably works too - maybe it works as a co-main for a bigger card in the summer or fall. Either way I think despite what Dana said last week, that's the fight to make.
I don't think Khabib will fight in the summer. Ramadan is in a month and lasts through mid-June. Add in a training camp after that and we'll be lucky to see him in September.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Agreed. Dana says a lot of things when he's emotional but I think that's the only fight to make if Conor is unavailable.

I don't think Khabib will fight in the summer. Ramadan is in a month and lasts through mid-June. Add in a training camp after that and we'll be lucky to see him in September.

Ideally you want Khabib fighting sooner but it might line up nicely for the MSG card in November, which is what Khabib was asking for. I believe Ferguson needs knee surgery as well so he's likely going to be out for a bit. If you put this fight on a card that could potentially include Brock Lesnar then you don't need to be too worried about someone pulling out at the last minute.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Agreed. Dana says a lot of things when he's emotional but I think that's the only fight to make if Conor is unavailable.

Ideally you want Khabib fighting sooner but it might line up nicely for the MSG card in November, which is what Khabib was asking for. I believe Ferguson needs knee surgery as well so he's likely going to be out for a bit. If you put this fight on a card that could potentially include Brock Lesnar then you don't need to be too worried about someone pulling out at the last minute.
Is November realistic for Brock? I'm not sure how long it would take him to get clean and back into the USADA program. I know they kinda circumvented that for UFC 200, but I don't know if they could do that again or how long it took him that time since they tried to keep it a surprise.

I agree, though. Khabib/Tony is a good enough fight to sell PPVs by itself, but I agree putting it as the co-main would be a huge card and it would still sell because of Brock if it fell through again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Is November realistic for Brock? I'm not sure how long it would take him to get clean and back into the USADA program. I know they kinda circumvented that for UFC 200, but I don't know if they could do that again or how long it took him that time since they tried to keep it a surprise.

I agree, though. Khabib/Tony is a good enough fight to sell PPVs by itself, but I agree putting it as the co-main would be a huge card and it would still sell because of Brock if it fell through again.

He has to be in the USADA program for six months so it depends when he gets in there. The MSG card is apparently going to be in the first week of November so he should have to enter the program in early May at the latest if he's going to be eligible.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
He has to be in the USADA program for six months so it depends when he gets in there. The MSG card is apparently going to be in the first week of November so he should have to enter the program in early May at the latest if he's going to be eligible.
He'd have to be clean before he reentered USADA though, no? Or else they could theoretically test him right away and if he failed, he'd be suspended for longer than 6 months. Maybe he's been planning his return for a while and would be clean by May?

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
- Khabib deserves a ton of credit IMO. Almost his entire training camp was for a BJJ guy. Then he took a striker on 6 days notice. Then he took a wrestler with power on 24 hours notice. A lot of guys give the "anyone, anywhere, anytime" line, but few mean it. Besides maybe Cowboy, I'm not sure there is anyone left in the UFC who means that more than Khabib.

- Despite his ranking, Raging Al is legit. Maybe not champion legit, but he's a good fighter and Khabib kicked his ass. I like Rogan, but I didn't understand why he was criticizing Khabib so much. Yes, we stands too straight up which could cost him against a guy like Conor, but he was eating Al alive with the jab and had already won the first 2 rounds in dominant fashion. Why take any risks?

- The holes in Khabib's stand-up is why Conor or Tony are such intriguing opponents, though. It's pretty clear Khabib is going to smash anyone on the ground, but he has to get it there first. I especially would like to see Tony. He's got the BJJ to not be terrified by going to the ground, power to knock Khabib out, and stamina to get through some of Khabib's ground and pound. I just don't know how you sell that fight again unless it is a last minute replacement.

- I hope Al got paid handsomely.

- LOL at the judges scorecard on the Co-main. I thought Rose won, but 4-1? I thought it was pretty clear 2-2 going into the 5th.

- Rooting for Joanna is so tough. I liked her before TUF, but hated her on that show. Then I started to like her again because it seemed like she was just trying to play the heal. But she's come across very poorly after 2 clear losses to Rose, IMO.

- I don't dislike Rose, but I don't think she's some sweet, innocent girl, either. If there is a sweet, innocent girl in the UFC, then it is Karolina. I hope she gets the next title shot, though it would be hard to argue with Andrade or Claudia if she wins her next fight.

I would say Cowboy and Conor have that anywhere anytime attitude. Khabib has pulled out or missed weight for too many times and one event isnt going to change that. Anyways, the right fight to make is Tony vs Khabib but probably as co-main event since those two seem to be destined to never fight eachother. Khabib’s comments of Tony needing to fight somebody before facing him is about as laughable as how Khabib won that belt lol

Reactions: LSCII

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Book it as the co main event to DC VS Miocic

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I would say Cowboy and Conor have that anywhere anytime attitude. Khabib has pulled out or missed weight for too many times and one event isnt going to change that. Anyways, the right fight to make is Tony vs Khabib but probably as co-main event since those two seem to be destined to never fight eachother. Khabib’s comments of Tony needing to fight somebody before facing him is about as laughable as how Khabib won that belt lol
True, but Conor hasn't even signed up to fight in the UFC for 1.5 years. I'm not sure if getting hurt or not taking any fights is worse. Missing weight is probably the worst, though. Before the Mayweather fight though, absolutely no question Conor is on that list.

Yeah, not a good look for Khabib saying Tony needs a fight to deserve a title shot. I know he's saying it because they made him fight Barbosa, but getting hurt is not the same as missing weight.

Book it as the co main event to DC VS Miocic
That's probably too early for both of them. Tony just had surgery and it's only like 3 weeks after Ramadan ends. Neither would have a full training camp.........which is maybe a good thing.....

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Listening to the post fight show, Khabib said he, "wants to fight soon.....I want to fight in November."

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I doubt that Tony is Khabib’s next opponent.

While Dana might not be serious when he said “never” to promoting that fight, I’m certain that he doesn’t want to do just yet.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
How bad is Tony’s injury? Khabib said he would defend this year.

Neither Tony nor probably Conor will fight this year.

Yeah, I doubt that. White's already changed his tune on McGregor. He's not stupid. He knows how much money he makes off the guy, legal troubles aside. And now that this dolly tossing incident went down, there's at least the perception of real heat between he and Khabib.

Dana White has ‘mutual respect’ with Conor McGregor, changes tune on bus attack

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I doubt that Tony is Khabib’s next opponent.

While Dana might not be serious when he said “never” to promoting that fight, I’m certain that he doesn’t want to do just yet.

Dana's word means nothing

First, he stripped Tony. Then said he hadn't been stripped. Then after the fight, he said there's only one belt now

It literally doesn't matter what comes out of his mouth

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Dana's word means nothing

First, he stripped Tony. Then said he hadn't been stripped. Then after the fight, he said there's only one belt now

It literally doesn't matter what comes out of his mouth

In this case, what he's saying is technically correct. The Ferguson/Khabib fight was going to be for the official LW belt, which meant all other belts (Conor's and Ferguson's interim) would go away after the fight. Ferguson unfortunately got hurt but the fight still took place and Khabib is the official champion now so there's no need for an interim belt. It sucks for Ferguson but it makes sense to me.

Dana's likely going to make that fight again though. He already backed off of saying it'll never happen a day later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad