GDT: UFC 219: Cyborg vs. Holm

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
No need for Conor to fight Khabib. He'll do some MMA math and let himself get stripped so that Ferguson can beat Khabib, then he can take the better style matchup for him vs Ferguson.

Not saying that Ferguson will beat Khabib for sure, but I like the matchup for him.

Agreed. Far better matchup for him than Khabib. Still think he's so confident that he doesn't really care who they put him in with though.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I used to be a Connor fan, but truth be told, he is a spot picker, and he will never ever take on all comers and he certainly won't take on Khabib because he knows it would be the end of the track for his hype train. I doubt he even fights again in the ufc. Sucks that he is tying up two belts while Dana is presenting in front of him in the hope he can suckle the golden teat some more.

Yet he's never backed out of a fight over a last second replacement when the first person bags out. So there goes your theory...:laugh:

Oct 15, 2008
Yet he's never backed out of a fight over a last second replacement when the first person bags out. So there goes your theory...:laugh:
My "theory" can go somewhere when he agrees to fight Khabib. Wake me up when that happens. He didn't even fight in the octagon last year. He had a one sided sparring session with an over the hill boxer, and looked vastly inferior doing it. He simply won't take the fight because he knows he would lose. Where is the incentive?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
My "theory" can go somewhere when he agrees to fight Khabib. Wake me up when that happens. He didn't even fight in the octagon last year. He had a one sided sparring session with an over the hill boxer, and looked vastly inferior doing it. He simply won't take the fight because he knows he would lose. Where is the incentive?

How many fights has Khabob pulled out of in the last 2 years? Ferguson was involved in a couple of them, no? And even then Ferguson refused to stay on the card, which is something McGregor didn't do. He fought Mendes on short notice even though he hadn't prepared for a wrestler. He fought Diaz up weight on short notice when RDA pulled out. You say he won't take on all comers, but he's fought the champions in two divisions and won easily, and he fought last minute replacements whenever a fight fell through. That really conflicts with your agenda though, so I get why you don't want to acknowledge it.

I mean, given the odds of Khabob failing to make weight in his most recent fights, even if McGregor did agree to fight him, it's not likely that the fight would actually take place.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec

He took on Mendes after Aldo bailed out like he usual does 2 weeks before the fight. Conor could have waited for Aldo to heal up but instead took a chance and fought someone with a drastic different style. I’m not sure he’s really dodging Khabib.... Khabib has shown everyone that he might be the most dangerous LW in the world but thats only when he makes weight and doesnt get injured weeks before the fight so Conor needs a sure thing if he’s going to accept that fight

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Why would he fight Khabib if Tony is the (interim) champ?

I wouldn't call Floyd "over the hill" unless he starts to look and sound like his father and uncle. Dude can still kick most boxers' asses outside of GGG and Canelo.

Oct 15, 2008
The UFC used to be about best vs best. They've moved more toward the boxing model of hand picking fights for their most valued asset. Diaz is a lightweight, not a ww, and a middling LW at that. Not that impressive, although I am a fan. I'm a fan of McGregor as well, but unlike some here with ball shaped bruises on their chins, I can call a spade a shovel. Khabib walks through Ferguson, and most likely walks through Connor, but that is absolutely a fight I want to see, simply because they are the two best fighters. Not sure why that is a bad thing?

Oct 15, 2008
Ferguson is a tougher fight for Khabib than Conor. At least Ferguson can fight from the bottom.

That may be but Connor has that power. I don't think Ferguson gives Khabib any trouble on the ground. Khabib is monster who isn't going to be stopped by anyone other than Connor, and even that is not very likely. Khabib would be a betting favourite over either imo.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Conor's chance is catching him with a straight left while backing away. And probably only within the first 2 rounds. After a round or two on the ground he will be throwing the same arm punches he was throwing against Floyd before the TKO.

It will basically either be an Aldo repeat or Silva-Sonnen without the happy ending.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Agreed. Far better matchup for him than Khabib. Still think he's so confident that he doesn't really care who they put him in with though.

He's confident though still tactical - which is why him v Diaz still makes the most sense for him. Most money with smallest risk.

I know it would piss off a ton of people, but if the UFC just said f-it and did Conor v Diaz for the belt and Khabib v Ferguson for the interim on the same card it would be great. Throw Kevin Lee v Gaethje on there too and showcase the division.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The UFC used to be about best vs best. They've moved more toward the boxing model of hand picking fights for their most valued asset. Diaz is a lightweight, not a ww, and a middling LW at that. Not that impressive, although I am a fan. I'm a fan of McGregor as well, but unlike some here with ball shaped bruises on their chins, I can call a spade a shovel. Khabib walks through Ferguson, and most likely walks through Connor, but that is absolutely a fight I want to see, simply because they are the two best fighters. Not sure why that is a bad thing?

You go out of your way to point out Diaz is a "middling LW" but you don't acknowledge that Khabob is really a WW? I mean, f***. The dude can't make the LW limit with any regularity and it's nearly killed him twice. To me, that screams he's not a real LW, but a much bigger dude shrinking himself down to gain an advantage.

The fight to make is Tony vs Conor anyways. Tony is the interim title holder and Conor is the champ. Those two guys need to fight and the winner of that can face Khabib, who despite the impressive win over Edson, is not next in line.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
You go out of your way to point out Diaz is a "middling LW" but you don't acknowledge that Khabob is really a WW? I mean, ****. The dude can't make the LW limit with any regularity and it's nearly killed him twice. To me, that screams he's not a real LW, but a much bigger dude shrinking himself down to gain an advantage.

The fight to make is Tony vs Conor anyways. Tony is the interim title holder and Conor is the champ. Those two guys need to fight and the winner of that can face Khabib, who despite the impressive win over Edson, is not next in line.

I'd give Khabib the co-main on that card and have him ready in case something happens. If either Alvarez or Poirier are willing to take on Khabib that would be a great co-main.

But who knows with Conor. I think the UFC will let him pick his shot.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I'd give Khabib the co-main on that card and have him ready in case something happens. If either Alvarez or Poirier are willing to take on Khabib that would be a great co-main.

But who knows with Conor. I think the UFC will let him pick his shot.

That would be a great show. FWIW, I'd love to see Eddie in there against Khabib. I think that would be a very interesting fight stylistically speaking, and would be by far Khabib's toughest opponent to this point in his career.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
That would be a great show. FWIW, I'd love to see Eddie in there against Khabib. I think that would be a very interesting fight stylistically speaking, and would be by far Khabib's toughest opponent to this point in his career.

I think it would be interesting too. It might make the most sense for all involved when it's all said and done. The UFC needs to have the two guys with belts fight. Ferguson is the best matchup for Conor, and of course Ferguson wants that fight.

Khabib gets a tough but winnable fight vs a former champion, and probably more importantly a chance to stay healthy and make weight. Alvarez gets a fight that while tough, could get him right back in the title mix if things break a certain way.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I think it would be interesting too. It might make the most sense for all involved when it's all said and done. The UFC needs to have the two guys with belts fight. Ferguson is the best matchup for Conor, and of course Ferguson wants that fight.

Khabib gets a tough but winnable fight vs a former champion, and probably more importantly a chance to stay healthy and make weight. Alvarez gets a fight that while tough, could get him right back in the title mix if things break a certain way.

Agreed. It involves the current champ, the interim champ, the previous champ, and the top contender in the division. Lots of possible follow up matches regardless of how it all shakes out. It's so painfully obvious, which means the UFC wouldn't even consider it...:laugh:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Agreed. It involves the current champ, the interim champ, the previous champ, and the top contender in the division. Lots of possible follow up matches regardless of how it all shakes out. It's so painfully obvious, which means the UFC wouldn't even consider it...:laugh:

The other way they could do it is if Ferguson/McGregor wasn't going to happen until July for Fight Week, they could stick Khabib/Alvarez as the main event on the Friday card that week. That way the timeline still works for the next fight and injury replacements, plus we get 5 rounds of Khabib/Alvarez.

Of course that's only if they are waiting that long to do these fights. No idea what the plan is there, obviously we all hope it's sooner.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Pretty sure I read that Khabib wants to fight before Ramadan, which begins sometime in May.

Again, just operate as if Conor is retired and make the Ferguson/Khabib fight for one of the PPVs in the first quarter. If/when he decides to return, that's a good problem to have and you deal with it at that time. You can't put this whole thing on hold even further.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
What if Ferguson goes like "nah fam, I'm the champ and I'm waiting for Conor"? Then Khabib is out for another year until that fight happens and another one is set up.

Reactions: Neutrinos

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
What if Ferguson goes like "nah fam, I'm the champ and I'm waiting for Conor"? Then Khabib is out for another year until that fight happens and another one is set up.

Well, Tony/Conor should happen. Problem is whether or not they can sign Conor to fight Tony. Either way the UFC needs to make a decision within the the next two months. If they can't get Conor signed by the end of March (and have him fight on the July card in Vegas), they need to either strip him, or, make Tony/Khabib happen and force Conor to fight the winner at MSG in November.

And if they can't sign Conor, and Tony pulls the hypothetical stunt you posted, the UFC can easily strip him of the interim title, while implying that he's afraid to fight Khabib after what he did to Barboza. Ferguson isn't a sacred cow like McGregor, he has very little pull.

Much to the chagrin of LSCII, Khabib is the #2 LW behind Conor and Tony. He's going to fight one of them or both in 2018. It all depends what Conor tells the UFC to do.

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

In fairness to Ferguson, he already has committed to fighting Khabib a couple of times, but the fights have fallen through. Hard to commit to a guy like that, when he pulls out of more fights than he makes it to.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Well, Tony/Conor should happen. Problem is whether or not they can sign Conor to fight Tony. Either way the UFC needs to make a decision within the the next two months. If they can't get Conor signed by the end of March (and have him fight on the July card in Vegas), they need to either strip him, or, make Tony/Khabib happen and force Conor to fight the winner at MSG in November.

And if they can't sign Conor, and Tony pulls the hypothetical stunt you posted, the UFC can easily strip him of the interim title, while implying that he's afraid to fight Khabib after what he did to Barboza. Ferguson isn't a sacred cow like McGregor, he has very little pull.

Much to the chagrin of LSCII, Khabib is the #2 LW behind Conor and Tony. He's going to fight one of them or both in 2018. It all depends what Conor tells the UFC to do.

Why would it be to my chagrin? I want them to fight because I'm very confident McGregor will beat Khabib and shut all the Khabib mouth breathers up once and for all. FWIW, I don't mean all his fans, but rather the subset of people who are really anti McGregor more so than actual fans of Khabib and are only propping Khabib up as the latest guy that will shut McGregor up.

member 51464

How many times has Khabib actually failed to make weight or gotten hurt and had to pull out? I feel like that aspect is being overplayed. I am pretty sure he has a better record at making scheduled it to fights than Aldo, for example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad