GDT: UFC 219: Cyborg vs. Holm

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Uh there's a very good reason that Khabib is being praised.

Of course the b.s. retrospective "so and so isn't that good" argument used to diminish a win. Barboza is easily one of the top lightweights and in some ways has better stand-up than McGregor, because he has a vastly superior kicking game. Rarely is there a performance that dominant. Your argument about how Barboza consistently loses to top-ranked fighters while making him out to be easy competition for Khabib when he's actually a top-ranked fighter himself is particularly stupid. Stretching out his record to his last TEN is pathetic, and not even accurate because the 6-4 record you claim includes Khabib. The only person Barboza had lost to recently is Ferguson. Not exactly the can you're making him out to be.

Khabib's activity the past few years is irrelevant to how good he is when he performs. And now that's he's healthy and has managed to execute a more efficient weight cut, he shouldn't have a problem fighting regularly in the foreseeable future.

Khabib, for all the supposed mediocrity in his striking, has never been hurt standing, and he's fought people with very good striking. His striking defence is incredibly underrated, and he can take a hit. Even if McGregor manages to box him up there's no guarantee that's a win. If he can be man-handled by Chad Mendes then there's no telling how badly it can go for him against a bigger, stronger fighter with better takedowns, cardio, and a stronger chin.

You would even have Ferguson winning against Khabib? Well, yeah, because Tony probably has a better chance than Conor does. But it's funny you say that as if Ferguson isn't one of the most dominant fighters in the UFC.

Your post reeks of a being Conor fanboy in denial. It's quite embarrassing.

You call me a Conor fanboy, but the entire post you sound like you're defending a family member. Hypocrite much?? :laugh:

Khabib hasn't been active, so when he fights, it doesn't matter how he looks because it will be a year before he fights again. That's the only reason he's undefeated. He doesn't fight with any regularity and because of that, is never in any real risk. I mean crap, his last fight before Edson was 13 and a half months before that. He fought 7 months before that, and a two year layoff preceded that activity. So again, zero consistency actually making it to the cage for his scheduled fights. Which you can dismiss if you want, but it's a knock on the guy and his legacy in MMA.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
You call me a Conor fanboy, but the entire post you sound like you're defending a family member. Hypocrite much?? :laugh:

Khabib hasn't been active, so when he fights, it doesn't matter how he looks because it will be a year before he fights again. That's the only reason he's undefeated. He doesn't fight with any regularity and because of that, is never in any real risk. I mean crap, his last fight before Edson was 13 and a half months before that. He fought 7 months before that, and a two year layoff preceded that activity. So again, zero consistency actually making it to the cage for his scheduled fights. Which you can dismiss if you want, but it's a knock on the guy and his legacy in MMA.

Don’t forget he needs to fight before Ramadan lol

Reactions: LSCII

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
McGregor doesn't really do head kicks. He kicks to the body and the lead leg. The body shots over time wear down the other fighter and helps McGregor keep them at distance for his counter punching. If he can keep Khabib at bay with solid body kicks, he will sleep him. If Khabib gets him down, it will be a lot of cumulative, and relatively minor, scoring strikes for Khabib.

Khabib walked through all of Edson's body kicks as well. And he's one of hardest kickers in the division.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010

You spew a load of bullshit and when I retort it, I'm being a fanboy? Don't be wrong then.

McGregor doesn't really do head kicks. He kicks to the body and the lead leg. The body shots over time wear down the other fighter and helps McGregor keep them at distance for his counter punching. If he can keep Khabib at bay with solid body kicks, he will sleep him. If Khabib gets him down, it will be a lot of cumulative, and relatively minor, scoring strikes for Khabib.

Are you serious?

If Barboza couldn't do that what the f*** makes you think McGregor can beat him with leg and body kicks? Barboza TKOs people with leg kicks. His kicks are his primary weapon that he utilizes in every single fight. And Barboza did land a fair amount of those kicks against Khabib. He started off the fight with a plethora of leg kicks, and landed some solid body kicks later on. Khabib still walked him down. McGregor's kicking game is nothing compared to Barboza's. You're an idiot.

Reactions: Zeppo

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
You spew a load of bull**** and when I retort it, I'm being a fanboy? Don't be wrong then.

Are you serious?

If Barboza couldn't do that what the **** makes you think McGregor can beat him with leg and body kicks? Barboza TKOs people with leg kicks. His kicks are his primary weapon that he utilizes in every single fight. And Barboza did land a fair amount of those kicks against Khabib. He started off the fight with a plethora of leg kicks, and landed some solid body kicks later on. Khabib still walked him down. McGregor's kicking game is nothing compared to Barboza's. You're an idiot.

Aww. Did I hurt your feeling or something, sweetheart? Lashing out and calling me names because you can't argue a point? Solid job. Someone on the internet disagrees with you and you can't take it? What are you like 15? :laugh:

So in your opinion, I'd have to mirror your views back to you just to be what you'd consider right? Yeah, I'm going to pass on that because I don't care if you agree with me or not. If Khabib and McGregor ever fight, and that's a huge if given Khabib's track record (something you failed to dismiss despite trying to do so) of missing weight, I fully expect Khabib to go to sleep. He got tagged once in that Johnson fight and wobbled obvlously, and McGregor is a far more accurate puncher than Johnson. It won't be a one shot deal. He'll hit him multiple times and then we'll finally get to see what Khabib is about. So far in his career, he's a one trick pony and has dealt with very little adversity. He's essentially a front runner and has never been in any trouble. Let's see what happens when someone punches him in the mouth repeatedly. Until I see that, I have questions about his actual abilities.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Aww. Did I hurt your feeling or something, sweetheart? Lashing out and calling me names because you can't argue a point? Solid job. Someone on the internet disagrees with you and you can't take it? What are you like 15? :laugh:

So in your opinion, I'd have to mirror your views back to you just to be what you'd consider right? Yeah, I'm going to pass on that because I don't care if you agree with me or not. If Khabib and McGregor ever fight, and that's a huge if given Khabib's track record (something you failed to dismiss despite trying to do so) of missing weight, I fully expect Khabib to go to sleep. He got tagged once in that Johnson fight and wobbled obvlously, and McGregor is a far more accurate puncher than Johnson. It won't be a one shot deal. He'll hit him multiple times and then we'll finally get to see what Khabib is about. So far in his career, he's a one trick pony and has dealt with very little adversity. He's essentially a front runner and has never been in any trouble. Let's see what happens when someone punches him in the mouth repeatedly. Until I see that, I have questions about his actual abilities.

Same can be said about Conor except the one time he dealt with adversity, he folded like cheap suit.

If you're looking for someone to punch him in the mouth repeatedly, it won't be Conor. Furgeson is by far the toughest matchup in the division for him only because of the array of attacks he has/complete unpredictability if he gets Khabib in his guard.

This is a matchup that will never happen, but if it does L'll be putting my money on Conor tapping.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Conor's great but Khabib is probably the worst matchup for him. The Khabib we saw this weekend with that forward pressure and non-stop movement to set up his takedowns looked like a LW version of his teammate, Cain Velasquez. I hope we get to see that fight at some point but it'll probably be Ferguson/Khabib next and that's also a great fight.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
No need for Conor to fight Khabib. He'll do some MMA math and let himself get stripped so that Ferguson can beat Khabib, then he can take the better style matchup for him vs Ferguson.

Not saying that Ferguson will beat Khabib for sure, but I like the matchup for him.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
I would really love for Ferguson to beat Khabib and stay the champion but I really don't see it.

Best case scenario for Conor is have Khabib become the champion in May and then fight him in Russia end of year for his last paycheck. Maybe even get KO'd by PacMan before/after the fight for comfortable living for the rest of his life.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I'm pretty sure Conor knows if he got into the octagon with Khabib it would end in Khabib ripping his head off and eating it. And I say that as a Conor fan.

I'm not surprised Conor is just posturing more on Twitter, wants to be begged, etc., to come back and fight, and even then, I still suspect he'll avoid the Khabib fight as long as he can. I'm really annoyed with Conor as champ in that division.

Oct 15, 2008
I used to be a Connor fan, but truth be told, he is a spot picker, and he will never ever take on all comers and he certainly won't take on Khabib because he knows it would be the end of the track for his hype train. I doubt he even fights again in the ufc. Sucks that he is tying up two belts while Dana is presenting in front of him in the hope he can suckle the golden teat some more.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Khabib is really bad matchup for Conor. What Conor can do? He doesn't have time to counter him, because Khabib runs straight to his face from beginning. He doesn't even walk you down, he runs you down.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I used to be a Connor fan, but truth be told, he is a spot picker, and he will never ever take on all comers and he certainly won't take on Khabib because he knows it would be the end of the track for his hype train. I doubt he even fights again in the ufc. Sucks that he is tying up two belts while Dana is presenting in front of him in the hope he can suckle the golden teat some more.

Tying up two belts?

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Conor/Khabib isn't happening for the fact Conor isn't coming back to the UFC. Anyone who thinks he is, is full of themselves.

Nurmagomedov

Apr 13, 2015
Conor can absolutely stop Khabib and Tony. Tony absorbs a lot of damage in his fights and has an almost unnatural ability to wear that damage but that will take it's toll eventually. You never know when the chin goes but eventually it will. Khabib Conor won't stop with kicks but punches to the face if anything. He has a huge advantage in boxing. Especially early on his power and accuracy is very formidable.

member 51464

Ramadan starts May 15th in 2018. How about Ferguson and Khabib at the last UFC PPV before that? Tony is healthy currently, right?

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I can't believe how strong Holm is. She won the clinch against a judo Olympic medalist and now Cyborg. That is unreal. Gotta give her credit for actually fighting Cyborg as many said they would until it was actually time to back that up. I think the scoring was more a case of Holly doing better than people thought than Holly actually winning rounds. I had it 49-46 but I may have even fallen into that trap a bit myself.

What I cannot understand for the life of me is why Holly didn't throw one liver kick until the 4th round. I think most would agree the only shot she had at finishing Cyborg was with a head kick, how do you not just pepper her with kicks to the body in the hopes of opening that up in the later rounds?

My God Khabib is an animal. He would absolutely slaughter Conor, and Conor knows it. We'll never see it, but man I'd love to. Conor has gotten increasingly unlikable by the second.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
Ramadan starts May 15th in 2018. How about Ferguson and Khabib at the last UFC PPV before that? Tony is healthy currently, right?

Who cares. UFC shouldnt make a fight a certain date because one fighter has restrictions due to his religion. The fight to make is Conor vs Tony simple as that

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Who cares. UFC shouldnt make a fight a certain date because one fighter has restrictions due to his religion. The fight to make is Conor vs Tony simple as that

If they can't get Conor to commit to fighting Tony at 226 in Vegas, then Tony/Khabib at 223 in April, or even 224 if it's early May (locations TBD) is likely.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
The UFC should give McGregor a public ultimatum

Tell him he can choose his next opponent, either Khabib or Ferguson, and he has 1 week to decide, otherwise he'll be stripped of his belt

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The UFC should give McGregor a public ultimatum

Tell him he can choose his next opponent, either Khabib or Ferguson, and he has 1 week to decide, otherwise he'll be stripped of his belt

Aside from pissing off your biggest star, a public ultimatum accomplishes what exactly?

They can strip him in a professional way like they did the 145lb belt.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Aside from pissing off your biggest star, a public ultimatum accomplishes what exactly?

They can strip him in a professional way like they did the 145lb belt.

If he's not going to fight, the "biggest star" label isn't really worth much, is it?

Reactions: Go Away Staal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->