GDT: UFC 217: Bisping vs. St-Pierre

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
How did everyone feel about DC's commentating? I like the energy but dude sounds like a fanboy in there.
I like him in there and like that he's a fanboy, I'd call him giddy even. He could bring a lot of ego but he doesn't. Always seems very humble.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
AKPv1Q.gif

Was nice to see Team Alpha male get their comeuppance. They were all royal douchebags the entire season of TUF. Cody has to be the dumbest guy on the roster. "You taught all of us at TAM how to use PED's"

I am sure he impulsively thought it would look bad on TJ for him to say that, but his mind can't think 5 seconds ahead to "wait, that also looks really bad to all of TAM"

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Different sport. If you beat someone in Muay Thai that doesn't mean you can beat her in MMA. Valentina doesn't like to move much and JJ is at her best against that kind of movement. Valentina is excellent counter striker, but she doesn't have KO power. It would be amazing 5 rounds war. Make that happen Dana.

I'd argue the "different sport" argument doesn't hold much water here in JJ's favour. Shevchenko is still better on the ground.

Hopefully we see it, but on the other hand I wouldn't mind seeing a rematch between JJ and Rose either. I think that could be a great rivalry, and something I think JJ needed. Hardcore fans love her, but she wasn't exactly a draw. Maybe this changes things?

I've seen comparisons off this loss to Rousey losing to Holm, which is laughable. Rousey was dependent on winning fights early. JJ has been in 5 round wars. She will be back no doubt.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
How did everyone feel about DC's commentating? I like the energy but dude sounds like a fanboy in there.

I don't think he brings much in the way of entertainment

And while he's clearly knowledgeable about MMA, I think his personality is a detriment to the broadcast

Cruz absolutely has a bright future as a commentator, but when he's unavailable, I'd like to see Frank Mir on the mic next to Anik and Rogan

Bramskii

Jul 23, 2007
Toronto
I found an interesting video that the former glory kickboxing champion Joe Valtellini posted. He made a breakdown on how to beat wonderboys style. He's the right guy to do it because he was the one that figured out Raymond Daniels who has a similar fighting style and was giving everyone in the kickboxing world problems.

I remember Rory bringing in Daniels to help out in camp for his fight vs wonderboy but it makes you wonder why more people don't call this guy in.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I often don't listen to commentators, but Cormier has been okay. Cruz, Anik, and Rogan are my preferred combination though.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Cruz over DC in terms of personality? Couldn't disagree more.

Cormier may very well have a friendlier, more out-going personality, but that's not what I'm looking for in a commentator

There's a reason most fans don't like him. The guy's a dweeb

Daniel_Cormier-727x727-480x480.jpg

Daniel-Cormier-598491.jpg

Last edited:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
As mentioned earlier, I'd like to see Mir get a shot on the mic

He's articulate, knowledgeable, and would do well as the "Alpha" of the group

For example, I can't see Mir gushing like a school girl cause a fighter chose the Game of Thrones theme as their entrance music

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I think a lot of folks here are overthinking what's expected for a broadcast team. DC works well because he's a likable guy that clearly enjoys the sport. That comes through in the broadcast, where the goal is to appeal to as broad an audience as possible. People here are diehards. They want technical speak, but that's boring as f*** to most casual fans, which is whom Dana really wants to appeal to. The casual fans are the people who make a PPV event successful, not the people like us here who follow it every day.

All that being said, I love Cruz in the booth. Guy is tremendous, especially when he talks about counters and positioning in regards to what you'll see from said fighters in the next few seconds. He's excellent at that.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
GSP looked sloooow. If he's actually interested in competing, he should go down to 170. Otherwise, fight Silva, fight McGregor and retire a rich man.

In which case he should forfeit the belt if he's going to chase super fights.

There's 3 options for GSP:
1. stay at 185 and defend against Whitraker
2. give up the belt and fight Woodley at 170
3. give up the belt chase the coin by fighting Silva/Conor

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I think a lot of folks here are overthinking what's expected for a broadcast team. DC works well because he's a likable guy that clearly enjoys the sport. That comes through in the broadcast, where the goal is to appeal to as broad an audience as possible. People here are diehards. They want technical speak, but that's boring as **** to most casual fans, which is whom Dana really wants to appeal to. The casual fans are the people who make a PPV event successful, not the people like us here who follow it every day.

All that being said, I love Cruz in the booth. Guy is tremendous, especially when he talks about counters and positioning in regards to what you'll see from said fighters in the next few seconds. He's excellent at that.

So who's booing Cormier at his fights? The casual fans or the diehards?

And if the UFC wanted to appeal to a "broad" audience (pardon the pun), they'd immediately stop hiring women to walk around in bikinis and literally do nothing but hold up a sign

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I assumed they got rid of Goldberg for the same reason I think Cormier needs to go

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
So who's booing Cormier at his fights? The casual fans or the diehards?

And if the UFC wanted to appeal to a "broad" audience (pardon the pun), they'd immediately stop hiring women to walk around in bikinis and literally do nothing but hold up a sign

I didn't say they wanted a broad, mixed audience. They're not stupid. They know their demographic is heavily slanted towards males. The trick to making it a successful PPV is to attract more of the casual male fans as their female viewership is likely statistically irrelevant. Having the ring girls is catering directly to their fans. No chance they dump them just to draw a few more female eyeballs.

And yes, the people who boo DC are generally the casuals. They don't get and appreciate the intricacies of technical wrestling.

Reactions: RayB

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I didn't say they wanted a broad, mixed audience. They're not stupid. They know their demographic is heavily slanted towards males. The trick to making it a successful PPV is to attract more of the casual male fans as their female viewership is likely statistically irrelevant. Having the ring girls is catering directly to their fans. No chance they dump them just to draw a few more female eyeballs.

And yes, the people who boo DC are generally the casuals. They don't get and appreciate the intricacies of technical wrestling.

So casual fans boo Cormier (19 - 1) because they don't appreciate the "intricacies of technical wrestling"? That's your theory?

Stylistically, I don't see much difference between he and fan favorite Matt Hughes

Unlike immensely popular fan favorite GSP, I've never heard it said that Cormier is a boring fighter who just out-wrestles people to a decision victory

In fact, it's quite impressive the pace and pressure Cormier can maintain inside the octagon for a man of his size. That's something even casual fans can appreciate

Personally, I like Cormier as a fighter. It's when he opens his mouth he loses me as a fan

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The dislike for Cormier has always been strange to me. I don't think it's one major reason, more a bunch of little reasons.

First, I'll just get it out of the way - he's black. It's always been harder to become a star in MMA when you aren't white.

Second, his body. Doesn't look like the high-level guys usually look.

Third, in his two biggest fights he got run over by Jon Jones. Lots of people have only seen Cormier fight a handful of times and two of them he got beat up by Jon Jones.

Fourth, as has been already mentioned doesn't have the typical MMA personality. He's not a cocky, trash-talking type.

Lastly, he's been matched up versus many popular fighters during his time in the UFC. Dan Henderson, Nelson, Anderson Silva, Anthony Johnson, Gus, Jon Jones. All of these guys are name guys that the fans are going to be cheering for regardless of who they were fighting. Even when he fought Patrick Cummins, people were cheering for Cummins because he had a cool back-story and took the fight on short notice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->