GDT: UFC 216: Ferguson vs. Lee

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Other than the women fights, this was a pretty fun PPV.

Ferg with the big win. Lee humble afterwards.

Would love to see McNugget vs ElCucouy... but we know that won't happen.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Other than the women fights, this was a pretty fun PPV.

Ferg with the big win. Lee humble afterwards.

Would love to see McNugget vs ElCucouy... but we know that won't happen.
Dana just said there will be a unification bout with Ferg and McGregor.

Solid card, DJ is absolutely amazing. So athletic and just straight up dummied Borg. Such a shame this guy doesn't get the marketing he deserves.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
So will he fight Dillashaw now or is he going to keep making excuses? Paper champion.

I asked it back when White was trying to force DJ to fight TJ, and I'll ask it again now: What did DJ have to gain from fighting a guy that isn't in his division, and isn't a belt holder in another division? Literally nothing. The upside for that fight was all on TJ's side and it had zero upside for Demetrious.

If he fights the winner of Dillishaw and Garbrandt next, that has upside. But a non title holder moving down just because his fight got cancelled? Yeah, no.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
So, Conor vs Tony and have Khabib fight anyone to show he can get down to the required weight, and he then gets the winner of McG vs Ferguson?

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
As someone who 1)likes Ferguson and 2) doesn't care for McGregor, if Tony doesn't get Conor down quick, he'll be slept. And quickly. Tony looked good, but as always, he leaves his chin out there to be tested.

And I couldn't help but think, Khabib would've ran a train on either one of those guys last night.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
With Tony, I can see him getting murked by either Khabib and Conor in two rounds. At the same time, I can also see him outlasting both of them because he's so legit tough and doesn't tire (whereas the other two are definitely prone to tiring out)

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
As someone who 1)likes Ferguson and 2) doesn't care for McGregor, if Tony doesn't get Conor down quick, he'll be slept. And quickly. Tony looked good, but as always, he leaves his chin out there to be tested.

And I couldn't help but think, Khabib would've ran a train on either one of those guys last night.
Yeah, Tony's chin is a concern. And with the training McGregor did for Floyd, I can only imagine how good his striking is now. The moment it gets to the ground though it's over.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Khabob can't even make weight. Guy is overrated as f***, given that he fights so infrequently.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Khabob can't even make weight. Guy is overrated as ****, given that he fights so infrequently.
Fair enough, if Khabib made weight, and was healthy, he would steamroll both guys, in my opinion.

Reactions: LSCII

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Nice finish for Ferguson off his back. Too bad we didn't see that fight with Lee at 100% but that's not Ferguson's fault. I still think McGregor/Diaz is going to happen next so maybe they can try to put the Ferguson/Khabib fight together for the 10th time.

That was a ridiculous performance and submission by DJ. Just completely dominated from start to finish. I'm glad he was able to finish it and get the record that way.

The Werdum fight went as expected but he still needs a win over a top ranked guy to get a title shot. You can't get back there after losing to Overeem and then beating Walt Harris.

I have no clue who Borella is but that was some impressive work on the ground.

Vannata/Green was awesome.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
DC was saying after the main event was over that Khabib will be good to make weight next time out. Apparently had some sort of surgery and had a bunch of tests run on him to make sure he can make 155 in a healthy way. Guess we'll see.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Fair enough, if Khabib made weight, and was healthy, he would steamroll both guys, in my opinion.
Maybe, but again, he's literally almost died twice now trying to make that weight. He needs to move up and stop being an idiot. The f***ing guy walks around at 205, ffs...

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Dana just said there will be a unification bout with Ferg and McGregor.

Solid card, DJ is absolutely amazing. So athletic and just straight up dummied Borg. Such a shame this guy doesn't get the marketing he deserves.
Dana says a lot. And most of it is all lies.

I bet they have ferguson fight a "big name" to get a bit more hype before they schedule him vs Conor. Not sure how they'll grant Nate the title shot vs either, but that seems likely. Actually, based on rankings, they only need to skip Barbosa.
Plus, they don't want to risk losing the GSP-McNugget fight again.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
Ferguson is so crafty with his submissions, really fun to watch.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Great performance by Ferguson. Did the right thing - waited until Lee tired a bit then took over. Will be interesting what happens next at 155. Ferguson v Gaethje would be a crazy fight sometime soon.

Borg was as useless as most expected. He's essentially just a far worse version of DJ so there wasn't much intrigue here. Really boring fight until they ridiculously awesome submission of the year. Great finish.

Lando and Green put on a great one. Werdum did what he had to do. The women's fights were disgustingly bad, this is what happens when you add too many fighters and divisions and have inexperienced fighters in there. They shouldn't be fighting in the UFC and certainly not in featured bouts.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I asked it back when White was trying to force DJ to fight TJ, and I'll ask it again now: What did DJ have to gain from fighting a guy that isn't in his division, and isn't a belt holder in another division? Literally nothing. The upside for that fight was all on TJ's side and it had zero upside for Demetrious.

If he fights the winner of Dillishaw and Garbrandt next, that has upside. But a non title holder moving down just because his fight got cancelled? Yeah, no.

And as mentioned at the time, he had a chance to get himself involved in the Garbrandt/Cruz/Dillashaw mix, which is the only interesting thing going on at 125/135. That leads to more money for DJ. His concern was that that Dillashaw wouldn't make weight and it was brought up in here numerous times that it was actually Borg that would have the weight issues. Sure enough, Borg pulled out of the fight.

The fight finally happens and DJ completely outclasses an inferior fighter to pump up his record instead of facing a tougher challenge.. the exact thing you have been ragging on Mayweather doing for months. DJ took the easy win to set the record, just like Floyd did.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
And as mentioned at the time, he had a chance to get himself involved in the Garbrandt/Cruz/Dillashaw mix, which is the only interesting thing going on at 125/135. That leads to more money for DJ. His concern was that that Dillashaw wouldn't make weight and it was brought up in here numerous times that it was actually Borg that would have the weight issues. Sure enough, Borg pulled out of the fight.

The fight finally happens and DJ completely outclasses an inferior fighter to pump up his record instead of facing a tougher challenge.. the exact thing you have been ragging on Mayweather doing for months. DJ took the easy win to set the record, just like Floyd did.

Cruz, sure because he lost to him before. Garbrandt, sure because he's the title holder the next division up. Dillishaw? Nah. Not a title holder. Not a guy that beat him before. Literally no reason to risk his streak for that. And stop blending the two divisions together. It shows your bias completely. DJ was setting a record for title defenses in his division. Not the next one up.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Cruz, sure because he lost to him before. Garbrandt, sure because he's the title holder the next division up. Dillishaw? Nah. Not a title holder. Not a guy that beat him before. Literally no reason to risk his streak for that. And stop blending the two divisions together. It shows your bias completely. DJ was setting a record for title defenses in his division. Not the next one up.

I have no bias, I don't even know who you think I am "biased" towards. I just want to see the best fights. DJ vs TJ would have been interesting. Borg vs DJ wasn't.

So you are in favor of champions picking easier fights? You know, that thing you spent half your summer railing against Mayweather for?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I have no bias, I don't even know who you think I am "biased" towards. I just want to see the best fights. DJ vs TJ would have been interesting. Borg vs DJ wasn't.

So you are in favor of champions picking easier fights? You know, that thing you spent half your summer railing against Mayweather for?

Did you even read the story DJ wrote about this? He didn't want to fight Borg initially. He wanted to fight someone else. The UFC and White forced him to fight Borg. Once the Garbrandt injury happened, that's when White wanted to change the fight to be Dillishaw. At that point, given the treatment of DJ by the organization, he was right to say f*** you and insist he fight the guy they initially demanded he fight.

So again, I'm still waiting for someone to show me the upside for DJ to have fought Dillishaw.

And I'll always rail against nonsense whenever someone wants to go back and forth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad