GDT: UFC 215: Nunes vs. Shevchenko 2

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
No one earned that win. You got 25 minutes of 2 girls not landing clean punches. There's no value in debating who won this fight. Valentina deserved that loss as much as Nunes if she didn't get the decision

Agree with this.

There's no reason to be mad about the scorecards.

It was a close fight on paper and it played out that way.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Lol that's not how it works. Valentina didn't have a reversal or advance after the takedown, so how did she win that battle?

If Amanda's strikes were soft then what were Valentina's??

Right? Totally. It's laughable to ***** about this fight.

Because she landed more shots from ground. So she should get the points, from those thinks which happened in the ground. Nunes landed takedown but she was very scared to encage in the ground. Valentina also outlanded her on the feet at 5th. Give your option which should give Nunes the points from last round?

Valentina was the only one landing good shots at whole fight. I bet Nunes has more damage in his face. Amanda also should lose some points by his eyepokes.

We need rematch. Valentina also think that she won.

there's really no one to challenge Amanda now, which is a bummer.

Are you serious?

Last edited:

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
It was a sparring match. These fights happen all the time and in every case the fighters should not be mad afterwards as they didn't go for it. Both fighters pretty much fought not to lose I guess. Val didn't to be more aggressive and Nunes was too worried about her cardio.

Benson Henderson vs Frankie Edgar II was like this
Tyron Woodley vs Stephen Thompson II was like this

These fights happen. These fights have you forgetting the fight.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Nunes didn't lost points even she got 4 warning with eyepokes. How this is possible? Gives me another reason to believe this fight was fixed.

Everyone should watch the highlights from the fight, you can clearly see the difference in the shots. Valentina was landing much better.

Can someone explain me the point system? Do you get points from takedown, even if your opponent wins everything in ground and let's you eat elbows from bottom?

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Not the best card but I enjoyed it for the most part. Tickets didn't end up being too expensive and it was a great atmosphere up until the main event.

Main event wasn't very entertaining and I think it could've gone either way so it's hard to get upset at the decision. The takedown at the end might've sealed it for Nunes, even though she did absolutely nothing with it. People really didn't like this fight.

RDA looked great. There's no clear contender at 170 but I still think he needs at least one more win over a top ranked guy. A win over Magny shouldn't get you a title shot.

That was the best Cejudo has ever looked. If they're still doing DJ/Borg next then Cejudo/Pettis makes a lot of sense.

Latifi is a very tough dude and he derailed the Pedro hype train for now. Not the most exciting fight but Latifi did what he needed to do.

Those were some nasty leg kicks Stephens landed and that was an impressive performance. Props to Melendez for hanging in there and actually taking it to a decision.

Couple of good submissions in the women's fights on the prelims. Still kind of surprised McMann lost though.

The Glenn/Tucker fight was hard to watch. That ref was terrible and he should never be allowed in there again. Tucker's corner did him no favours either, they should've thrown in the towel when it was clear the ref wasn't going to do anything.

Nice to see Bhullar pick up the win in his debut. No idea what to expect from him going forward but I think he's training with the right people.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
Because she landed more shots from ground. So she should get the points, from those thinks which happened in the ground. Nunes landed takedown but she was very scared to encage in the ground. Valentina also outlanded her on the feet. Give your option which should give Nunes the points from last round?

Valentina was the only one landing good shots at whole fight. I bet Nunes has more damage in his face.

We need the third fight.

Are you serious?

I'm completely serious. The gap between Shevchenko and anyone below her is pretty significant. Those 2 have basically lapped the rest of the division.
Who do you think should have the shot?

I think you might need to educate yourself on MMA scoring a bit if that's how you see it.
(per rules)
"Evaluations shall be made in the order in which the techniques appear, giving the most weight in scoring to effective striking, effective grappling, control of the fighting area and effective aggressiveness and defense. Effective striking is judged by determining the number of legal strikes landed by a contestant and the significance of such legal strikes."

Nunes 100% objectively won in ring control, aggression and grappling. Striking and defense was pretty much a wash,because Valentina was in the defense the whole time and countering with strikes of much less significance.

So yeah Nunes won the 5th round, relative to the rest of the fight it was clear as day. Rogan and DC even said it should be enough while she was on top....after 23 minutes of fairly even striking landing back to back takedowns was pretty big. Really doesn't matter that Valentina chipped in a few shots while Amanda held her in guard.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
I'm completely serious. The gap between Shevchenko and anyone below her is pretty significant. Those 2 have basically lapped the rest of the division.
Who do you think should have the shot?

I think you might need to educate yourself on MMA scoring a bit if that's how you see it.
(per rules)
"Evaluations shall be made in the order in which the techniques appear, giving the most weight in scoring to effective striking, effective grappling, control of the fighting area and effective aggressiveness and defense. Effective striking is judged by determining the number of legal strikes landed by a contestant and the significance of such legal strikes."

Nunes 100% objectively won in ring control, aggression and grappling. Striking and defense was pretty much a wash,because Valentina was in the defense the whole time and countering with strikes of much less significance.

So yeah Nunes won the 5th round, relative to the rest of the fight it was clear as day. Rogan and DC even said it should be enough while she was on top....after 23 minutes of fairly even striking landing back to back takedowns was pretty big. Really doesn't matter that Valentina chipped in a few shots while Amanda held her in guard.

I think Valentina should have third shot. Amanda had 4 warnings about eyepokes and still didn't lost a point.

How Nunes won in the grappling? She was very scared in the ground and was only eating shot's without doing anything. Yes she got takedown and didn't know what to do after that. Valentina landed much better shots to the face and highlights clearly shows that.

Ring control doesn't really mean **** in scoring fights. You should know that by Wonderboy - Woodley. Valentina landed much more powerfull shots than Amanda who didn't land even one good shot. She was eating big counter's all night long.

Nunes only outlanded her with very sloppy legkicks. Valentina landed 2x more shots to her face watch that from stats. I don't know how Amanda could get more points from those sloppy legkicks without any power.

I don't really see why takedown should get you points if you are not able to do anything on the ground, just eating shots. Maybe these judges like that lay and pray. If you land takedown you should be able to do something after that, not just eat elbows to your face. She was on bottom and still able to strike her. That should give more points than holding her on guard and eating shots at same time.

Last edited:

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Women's bantamweight is a pretty bad division. Rocky Pennington is probably the next most deserving challenger and, as much as I love her, she's not anyone's idea of a top level fighter + she hasn't been active recently. After that, I guess you got Holly Holm... meh.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Nunes didn't lost points even she got 4 warning with eyepokes. How this is possible? Gives me another reason to believe this fight was fixed.

Everyone should watch the highlights from the fight, you can clearly see the difference in the shots. Valentina was landing much better.

Can someone explain me the point system? Do you get points from takedown, even if your opponent wins everything in ground and let's you eat elbows from bottom?

Because there were no eyepokes. She was warned for pawing with her fingers extended.

Personally, I'm still surprised the UFC has not changed their gloves to resemble the Bellator gloves to prevent this stuff.

As for the fight itself, I'm not surprised Nunes won, Valentina may have landed more power shots (at least while watching, I havent' seen stats) but overall, she was pretty overwhelming. I agree with MD in that both fighters deserved the L. A fight that close though, the challenger needs to make a better case than what we saw tonight.

Last edited:

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Because there were no eyepokes. She was warned for pawing with her fingers extended.

Personally, I'm still surprised the UFC has not changed their gloves to resemble the Bellator gloves to prevent this stuff.

She did eyepoke at 5th round, maybe referee didn't notice that. Anyway should get one point away, from 4 warnings about fingers.

Still can't understand how Valentina lost the fight. Difference in head strikes is so clear. In 5th round, Valentina totally outlanded her.

Good counter punch should mean much more than sloppy legkick without power.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
I think Valentina should have third shot. Amanda had 4 warnings about eyepokes and still didn't lost a point.

How Nunes won in the grappling? She was very scared in the ground and was only eating shot's without doing anything. Yes she got takedown and didn't know what to do after that. Valentina landed much better shots to the face and highlights clearly shows that.

Ring control doesn't really mean **** in scoring fights. You should know that by Wonderboy - Woodley. Valentina landed much more powerfull shots than Amanda who didn't land even one good shot. She was eating big counter's all night long.

Nunes only outlanded her with very sloppy legkicks. Valentina landed 2x more shots to her face watch that from stats. I don't know how Amanda could get more points from those sloppy legkicks without any power.

I don't really see why takedown should get you points if you are not able to do anything on the ground, just eating shots. Maybe these judges like that lay and pray. If you land takedown you should be able to do something after that, not just eat elbows to your face. She was on bottom and still able to strike her. That should give more points than holding her on guard and eating shots at same time.
She won in grappling because she had 2 dominant takedowns, never lost control and ended in top.....seems pretty simple.

Wonderboy vs Woodley was a tactician war, nothing really can compare to those fights, and I don't even know where you're going with that. But yeah ring control does mean a lot if you're actually getting paid to score an MMA match.

Those are some serious goggles you're wearing. It's just not true. You said earlier Valentina was going to win because Amanda was going to withdrawal right before the fight ahha...think you have an unhealthy bias here dude.
0ahaF9b.png

I didn't even have a dog in the fight, I basically watch every UFC fight no matter what level as I like to have a feel for good betting spots.....and I had no clue who was going to win, didn't touch it, they're both world class.
Just wanted a good fight........which it wasn't. But Valentina didn't deserve the belt with that performance, no way.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
She won in grappling because she had 2 dominant takedowns, never lost control and ended in top.....seems pretty simple.

Wonderboy vs Woodley was a tactician war, nothing really can compare to those fights, and I don't even know where you're going with that. But yeah ring control does mean a lot if you're actually getting paid to score an MMA match.

Those are some serious goggles you're wearing. It's just not true. You said earlier Valentina was going to win because Amanda was going to withdrawal right before the fight ahha...think you have an unhealthy bias here dude.
0ahaF9b.png

I didn't even have a dog in the fight, I basically watch every UFC fight no matter what level as I like to have a feel for good betting spots.....and I had no clue who was going to win, didn't touch it, they're both world class.
Just wanted a good fight........which it wasn't. But Valentina didn't deserve the belt with that performance, no way.

How those takedowns are dominant if she is not able to do anything other than getting her face tagged on the ground? If that is dominant takedown, what is non-dominant takedown? If you are on top but you are still eating shots to the face, then grappling goes to other person. Valentina won the thinks in the ground. If she can strike her from bottom that way, then points should go to Valentina. Nunes wasn't able to defense her strikes even she was on Top, judges should notice that. If person from bottom is more agressive and better on the ground, it should have some effects to scoring.

Maybe it was some other thinks that give her won on the round 5th but still can't see those thinks.

Ring control always comes after landed shots. There was big difference in head strikes.

No she didn't pull out from fight, like last time when she needed more time for her camp. Can you tell me what you are trying to prove with that picture? It's round by round and if you look at significant headstrikes Valentina landed two times more than Amanda. Does sloppy legkick count as much an clean counter strike?

Anyway most fans see this as a robbery. Usually leg kicks without power doesn't count that much. I don't know what goggles you are wearing if you think leg kicks are better than good counter punch to the head. Amanda is very dirty fighter, so it's not surprise that most people hate him even more after this poor performance and robbery.

Last edited:

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
It's totally ridiculous that last minute takedown wins you a round if you can't do **** in ground even if opponent outstrikes you whole round before that and also continues to hit your head from bottom with elbows. We need changes in the rules to make it look more like fighting not hugging.

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It's totally ridiculous that last minute takedown wins you a round if you can't do **** in ground even if opponent outstrikes you whole round before that and also continues to hit your head from bottom with elbows. We need changes in the rules to make it look more like fighting not hugging.

For someone that's wrong so much, you get way too upset when things don't go like you predicted. Just.. relax. Fight could have gone either way.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
For someone that's wrong so much, you get way too upset when things don't go like you predicted. Just.. relax. Fight could have gone either way.

I just don't see how leg kicks had so much effect on score cards or super lucky takedown without any damage. Anyway starting to feel more relaxed about the fight, robberies happen, never leave it to the judges. But it doesn't change the fact that Valentina won the fight.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I just don't see how leg kicks had so much effect on score cards or super lucky takedown without any damage. Anyway starting to feel more relaxed about the fight, robberies happen, never leave it to the judges. But it doesn't change the fact that Valentina won the fight.

It wasn't a robbery, it was a close fight. Scoring the fight for Valentina is fine, the middle three rounds especially were very close.

Shevchenko made two key mistakes - essentially giving away the first round and her obvious grappling error in Round 5 that caused Nunes to take her back.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

I don't think anyone won that fight, it was a light sparring session focused on spacing and trying not to injure your sparring partner...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad