PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass)

Women's Strawweight bout: Kailin Curran vs. Alexandra Albu
Flyweight bout: Eric Shelton vs. Jarred Brooks
Lightweight bout: Josh Burkman vs. Drew Dober

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
There's 7 legitimately great fights on there. Looking forward to seeing Ortega fight again, too.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Very smart for them to have Manuwa fighting in case something happens with Jones/DC. As mentioned this a great card, and IMO Jones/DC is the biggest/most important fight in MMA right now.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
cyborg or Tonia ? i believe it is a first real opposition for Cyborg for a long time.
Cormier or JJ ? Will see, but maybe JJ again !( i prefer Cormier but ... JJ is fundamentaly an all star)

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Some quick thoughts:

Light Heavyweight Championship bout: Daniel Cormier (c) vs. Jon Jones - Until Jones loses, I'm not picking against him. Yes there's ring rust on Jones, but Cormier is going to have the exact same issues with Jones that he had originally. He's not long enough and not quick enough. The main question in the first fight was whether or not Cormier could take him down and go to work, and the answer was he couldn't. What's changed? Jones via decision, 49-46.

Welterweight Championship bout: Tyron Woodley (c) vs. Demian Maia - I would love to see Maia win this fight, and I would have probably picked him to beat Thompson if they were fighting 5 rounds. There's an obviously path to victory for him - take him down and submit him. I just think 3 minutes into this fight we are going to have that moment where it's obvious Maia can't take Woodley down and you have a sitting duck. I think you'll see a fight where Woodley drops Maia multiple times and eventually finishes an old and tired looking Maia in round 3 or 4. I want to be wrong here. I want Maia to win, and I want Maia vs GSP. But.. Woodley via TKO, round 4.

Women's Featherweight Championship bout: Cyborg Justino vs. Tonya Evinger - I don't pretend to know a ton about Tonya Evinger, but those who do say this is a much tougher fight for Cyborg than any of the other options at 145. I'm not about to pick a +600 or +700 underdog, but I'll say this - if Evinger can survive the first 10 minutes, things get interesting. I can see a scenario where Cyborg is up 3 rounds, Evinger takes her down grinds away in round 4 and we have a really intriguing round 5 where everyone thinks Evinger has a legit shot. Cyborg by KO is the easy choice, but I'm going with a Cyborg decision with some weird scorecards.

Welterweight bout: Robbie Lawler vs. Donald Cerrone - This feels like one of those fights that's great on paper that just doesn't live up to the hype. I like Lawler to win by decision, likely a close 29-28 or split decision win.

Light Heavyweight bout: Jimi Manuwa vs. Volkan Oezdemir - Oezdemir has looked great, but he still seems like a blown-up 185lb guy to me. Give me Manuwa by first round TKO.

PRELIMINARY CARD (FXX, TSN 5)

Featherweight bout: Ricardo Lamas vs. Jason Knight - Lamas is tough, but this fight is setup for Knight to look great. I think he wins an easy 30-27 decision and has people buzzing about whose next for him.

Catchweight (140 lbs) bout: Aljamain Sterling vs. Renan Barao - Sterling has just been so unimpressive recently. I have no idea what to think of Barao anymore. I think we've got a boring fight here, but Barao by split decision.

As for the rest of the fights, the only thing really jumping out to me is that I do think Ortega and Dober get wins.

For betting:
Evinger is around +650. I don't think it happens, but might be worth throwing a few dollars down.
Jason Knight is around even odds.. love that one.
Ortega at +130 or whatever, love that too.

Probably will stay away from the rest.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Rooting for Cormier. I hated Jon Jones' performance against OSP so much. I'll hold it against him for a long while, just because I just have an irrational dislike for fighters who spams pointscoring kicks and don't throw punches. :laugh:

Rooting for Maia, but this likely ends with a Woodley round 1 KO. Not gonna lie, there's also a deep evil desire of me wanting this fight to become a 5 rounds starring contest :laugh:

Interesting that Eric Shelton is an underdog to Jarred Brooks. I like Shelton's athletic tools that really makes him competitive against really good guys at such an early stage of his career.

Ortega is a fun dramatic finisher. Really bad at winnings rounds, but that adds to the dramatic sense of his fights. Not a fan of Moicano, but his point fighting style of spamming kicks on the outside could really give Ortega lots of trouble. Thinking about it, im probably gonna hate this fight until (and that's no guarentee) Ortega lands a finish.

Barao vs Sterling is just a question of whether or not Barao stops Sterling's wrestling. Don't know if Sterling will ever be good at striking with his hands.

Lawler vs Cerrone... probably should have been a Fight Night or Fox headliner. I don't see how that's gonna suck. Lawler is gonna get into the pocket and throw hands. Cerrone is defensively flawed enough and willing enough to let Lawler get there. :popcorn:

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Cormier - Jones : If Cormier wants to have a chance, he has to destroy the leggs of JJ. This are JJ's "weakness". He has slim leggs while Cormier has fat and mighty leggs. So he should low kick him the first round(s). Till JJ looses speed and basis. Then options are open.
Else he may end up in the same situation than last fight, or worse, with an improved JJ's elbow technique, he may end up KO.

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal
Cormier - Jones : If Cormier wants to have a chance, he has to destroy the leggs of JJ. This are JJ's "weakness". He has slim leggs while Cormier has fat and mighty leggs. So he should low kick him the first round(s). Till JJ looses speed and basis. Then options are open.
Else he may end up in the same situation than last fight, or worse, with an improved JJ's elbow technique, he may end up KO.

Calves size =/= leg size. The guy squats 500 lbs, he doesn't have small legs. Go look up: calves insertion point. He doesn't have good calves genetics, but it doesn't mean that he doesn't have strong legs at all.

& yes I have the same physique as him, 6'4 & I squat heavy, but my legs look small because of my calves. It's annoying that people think that leg strength is related to calves seriously.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
MAIN CARD (PPV)

Light Heavyweight Championship bout: Daniel Cormier (c) vs. Jon Jones
Welterweight Championship bout: Tyron Woodley (c) vs. Demian Maia
Women's Featherweight Championship bout: Cyborg Justino vs. Tonya Evinger
Welterweight bout: Robbie Lawler vs. Donald Cerrone
Light Heavyweight bout: Jimi Manuwa vs. Volkan Oezdemir

PRELIMINARY CARD (FXX, TSN 5)

Featherweight bout: Ricardo Lamas vs. Jason Knight
Catchweight (140 lbs) bout: Aljamain Sterling vs. Renan Barao
Featherweight bout: Brian Ortega vs. Renato Moicano
Featherweight bout: Andre Fili vs. Calvin Kattar

PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass)

Women's Strawweight bout: Kailin Curran vs. Alexandra Albu
Flyweight bout: Eric Shelton vs. Jarred Brooks
Lightweight bout: Josh Burkman vs. Drew Dober[/QUOTE]

Few thoughts on a couple fights:

Jones vs Cormier : I think DC brings out the best in Jon and Jones finishes him in the 3rd or 4th via SUB

Woodley vs Maia: It could get interesting if Maia can get Woodley to the ground but I just don't see it happening. I see a tired Maia getting finished late 2nd round TKO

Cyborg vs Evinger : If Evinger can somehow last long enough to tire out Cyborg,this could become a fight but I just don't see it happening. Cybord via TKO 1st round

Cowboy vs Lawler: This has all the making of a great fight and is probably the fight i'm most excited about. Both guys will be looking to re-assert themselves at the top of the WW division after loosing their previous matches. If Cowboy can get through the first round and a half I could see him finishing Robby on the ground

Last edited:

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada

I agree with this and don't know why fighters don't go after his legs, there has been a couple of times where Jones needed help getting to the post presser because his legs where to sore and that's just from him kicking guys.

Regardless I won't get excited for this until they all make weight and are ready the day of the fight.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
I agree with this and don't know why fighters don't go after his legs, there has been a couple of times where Jones needed help getting to the post presser because his legs where to sore and that's just from him kicking guys.

Regardless I won't get excited for this until they all make weight and are ready the day of the fight.

I don't see how DC is going to be kicking alot since its not his strong suit and how easily Jones took him down last fight

GongShowWilly

time to pay the Piper
Jan 25, 2016
Alberta
I want someone to smash Bones face ...... not sure if Cormier can though
great card though , if all fights happen. With Jones recent crappenings , I'm not holding my breath

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
I don't see how DC is going to be kicking alot since its not his strong suit and how easily Jones took him down last fight

I don't see why he couldn't add some kicks in there to change it up, Even though Jon took DC down DC is still the better wrestler.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
It's been awhile since I've been this hyped for an MMA event. Maybe years. Can't wait to watch this one.

Killahpunk

Legend
Jun 29, 2009
Eastern Canada
Main Card (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)
Daniel Cormier (19-1) vs. Jon Jones (22-1) -for light heavyweight title
Tyron Woodley (17-3-1D) vs. Demian Maia (25-6) –for welterweight title
Cristiane Justino (17-1-1NC) vs. Tonya Evinger (19-5-1NC) –for vacant women's featherweight title
Donald Cerrone (32-8-1NC) vs. Robbie Lawler (27-11-1NC)
Jimi Manuwa (17-2) vs. Volkan Oezdemir (14-1)

Preliminary Card (FXX, 8 p.m. ET)
Jason Knight (20-2) vs. Ricardo Lamas (17-5)
Renan Barao (34-4-1NC) vs. Aljamain Sterling (13-2)–140-pound catchweight
Renato Moicano (11-0-1D) vs. Brian Ortega (11-0-1NC)
Andre Fili (16-4) vs. Calvin Kattar (16-2)

Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass, 6:30 p.m. ET)
Alexandra Albu (2-0) vs. Kailin Curran (4-4)
Jarred Brooks (12-0) vs. Eric Shelton (10-3)
Josh Burkman (28-15-1NC) vs. Drew Dober (17-8-1NC)

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
To those who think
Tonya_Evinger_Bio_New.jpg
has a shot to make things "interesting", may I just remind you...

531281772.0.jpg

One of them legitimately looks like they were born and raised in a maximum security prison, while the other looks like a hockey mom posing for her P90X "Before" photo

Last edited:

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Great card. Gotta go with Jon over Cormier by UD and Woodley is going to knock Maia silly, 1st round KO

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
To those who think
Tonya_Evinger_Bio_New.jpg
has a shot to make things "interesting", may I just remind you...

531281772.0.jpg

One of them legitimately looks like they were born and raised in a maximum security prison, while the other looks like a hockey mom posing for her P90X "Before" photo

Maia and Cormier don't really look the part either.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
The size difference between Maia and Woodley is enormous. Wow. Maia might have more of a chance than I originally thought. Ultimately I think Woodley can keep it standing and eventually use his speed/power to land something big and put Maia away. Odds are about right at -210 for him but I'd still take that.

Lawler at -160 is a steal IMO. Cerrone gets hurt far too often and Lawler is tough as nails. Cerrone seems to have a knack of always losing to top guys as well. I don't see this being any different.

Cyborg at -1200 or whatever is literally free money. Evinger lost to every name she's ever fought, and these are girls that Ronda absolutely steamrolled. Cyborg will dispose of her in under a round.

I'm really liking Jones at -260. Jones is in his physical prime, whereas the time since their first fight couldn't possibly have helped DC. Sure he may have learned from the loss in terms of mistakes, gameplan, etc., but Jones has that same opportunity. Jones looked like an absolute monster at that face-off today. I just don't see any path to victory for DC. I like him, and would love to see a trilogy, but I have a feeling Jones wears him down even worse this time around and puts him away in the later rounds.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
The size difference between Maia and Woodley is enormous. Wow. Maia might have more of a chance than I originally thought. Ultimately I think Woodley can keep it standing and eventually use his speed/power to land something big and put Maia away. Odds are about right at -210 for him but I'd still take that.

Lawler at -160 is a steal IMO. Cerrone gets hurt far too often and Lawler is tough as nails. Cerrone seems to have a knack of always losing to top guys as well. I don't see this being any different.

Cyborg at -1200 or whatever is literally free money. Evinger lost to every name she's ever fought, and these are girls that Ronda absolutely steamrolled. Cyborg will dispose of her in under a round.

I'm really liking Jones at -260. Jones is in his physical prime, whereas the time since their first fight couldn't possibly have helped DC. Sure he may have learned from the loss in terms of mistakes, gameplan, etc., but Jones has that same opportunity. Jones looked like an absolute monster at that face-off today. I just don't see any path to victory for DC. I like him, and would love to see a trilogy, but I have a feeling Jones wears him down even worse this time around and puts him away in the later rounds.

I'm definitely going to look at a Lawler/Cyborg/Jones parlay here. Might throw someone else in the mix too.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Everyone made weight so hopefully nothing crazy happens now.

Even though I'm a Jones fan, I'd love to see DC really push him and maybe even win so we get a third fight but I just don't see how he does it. Jones is just better in all areas and probably wins via decision.

I think Maia might be in trouble against Woodley. We've seen what happens when he can't get the fight to the ground and Woodley is going to be very tough to take down. I'm glad Maia finally gets his title shot but this fight has the potential to be pretty bad for him and the viewers. Hopefully GSP agrees to the fight the winner.

I don't know much about Evinger but I'll just go ahead and say she has no chance.

Lawler/Cerrone is a great match up on paper. I'm very interested in seeing what version of Lawler shows up. Did the much needed time off help him or has he just been in way too many wars at this point?

Manuwa has a great chance to make a statement and possibly get a title shot. I think he probably gets passed over if Jones wins because they'll want to do the Jones/Gus rematch but you never know. I'm still not completely sold on Oezdemir but a win here will definitely change that.

Main card is stacked and there are a few fights I'm looking forward to on the prelims as well. Can't wait until tomorrow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->