GDT: UFC 196: McGregor vs. Diaz

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Enough of the Conor excuses. He hand picked that fight, the weight, the time, opponent, etc. got owned.

Stop making excuses.

Aldo is a better striker, boxer, wrestler and probably has better bjj than Nate.
And Conor was losing on the feet before it went to the ground.

If McGregor fights Aldo again, it's going to end the same way. Aldo couldn't take jabs from Mendes in their second fight without his legs buckling. No way he has the chin to take power punches from McGregor. The only chance he has is to take it to the ground, but McGregor is bigger and stronger than most of the guys Aldo has beaten, so it's easier said than done. White knows it too, which is why he's pushing Edgar next. Aldo and McGregor fight again, it's over within the first round. McGregor is just a bad stylistic match up for Aldo.

member 51464

Man, if Edgar beat Conor in Conor's next fight......would that be the fastest the wheels came off a star? haha

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Enough of the Conor excuses. He hand picked that fight, the weight, the time, opponent, etc. got owned.

Stop making excuses.

Aldo is a better striker, boxer, wrestler and probably has better bjj than Nate.
And Conor was losing on the feet before it went to the ground.

Tru, tru, and it obviously showed when Aldo fought McGregor.

But in all seriousness this is not black and white. I wouldn't say Aldo is a better boxer nor does he have better BJJ, and more importantly he definitely doesn't have Nate's endurance or chin. He will get starched again if he fights McGregor.

Frankie is a much tougher match up (I think Frankie wins tbh) for Conor.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
So many fanboys and haters. Nobody knows what would happen if McGregor and Aldo fought again. Stop acting like the guy you favour isn't in the same league as the other guy. They are neck and neck.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
So many fanboys and haters. Nobody knows what would happen if McGregor and Aldo fought again. Stop acting like the guy you favour isn't in the same league as the other guy. They are neck and neck.

I don't favor anyone. I just look at the styles and call it the way I see it. McGregor is a bad style match up for Aldo (much like I thought RDA was a bad style fighter for McGregor to go up against). Aldo showed the world his true colors when he yapped about how it wasn't a real fight and how he would fight the guy any time anywhere, yet when offered the fight Diaz took, he turned it down flat out. That says it all.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Tru, tru, and it obviously showed when Aldo fought McGregor.

But in all seriousness this is not black and white. I wouldn't say Aldo is a better boxer nor does he have better BJJ, and more importantly he definitely doesn't have Nate's endurance or chin. He will get starched again if he fights McGregor.

Frankie is a much tougher match up (I think Frankie wins tbh) for Conor.

Agreed about Edgar being a far tougher fight for McG than Aldo. Conor can still win that fight, but he has to use his reach and size against Edgar. If he doesn't, it will result in him losing badly.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

It's not a black and white issue. Someone can be a much better fighter than another and still lose to a guy the other would beat 9 times out of 10. Styles make fights is an idiom that came from boxing, and it allows for an even wider range of possibilities in MMA.

Aldo >*Edgar, Edgar >*McGregor, McGregor > Aldo is a very possible triangle mostly because of how they stack up to eachother. Aldo is a more complete fighter than McGregor but likely will never be able to stand up to his size, power, and striking style.

It's not a matter of being a fanboy or a hater. I respect McGregor's ability and his penchant for exciting fights but I wouldn't consider myself a big fan of his, and I don't favour him to Aldo.

Agreed about Edgar being a far tougher fight for McG than Aldo. Conor can still win that fight, but he has to use his reach and size against Edgar. If he doesn't, it will result in him losing badly.

I think it's a tough one for McGregor either way. I think it looks a lot like the Mendes fight except Edgar is better at changing levels, has a better chin, is a lot more shifty on the feet and has better endurance. I mean McGregor could put Edgar away as he has the power but it's a fight he has very limited ways of winning, IMO. I can't see him winning a decision at all there.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I think it's a tough one for McGregor either way. I think it looks a lot like the Mendes fight except Edgar is better at changing levels, has a better chin, is a lot more shifty on the feet and has better endurance. I mean McGregor could put Edgar away as he has the power but it's a fight he has very limited ways of winning, IMO. I can't see him winning a decision at all there.

Oh, I agree. Edgar is a stylistic nightmare for McGregor. No question. Far more dangerous to him than Aldo. I'd love to see it because it's going to be interesting, but I don't feel confident in predicting the outcome of that fight at all.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
I don't favor anyone. I just look at the styles and call it the way I see it. McGregor is a bad style match up for Aldo (much like I thought RDA was a bad style fighter for McGregor to go up against). Aldo showed the world his true colors when he yapped about how it wasn't a real fight and how he would fight the guy any time anywhere, yet when offered the fight Diaz took, he turned it down flat out. That says it all.

It's not a black and white issue. Someone can be a much better fighter than another and still lose to a guy the other would beat 9 times out of 10. Styles make fights is an idiom that came from boxing, and it allows for an even wider range of possibilities in MMA.

Aldo >*Edgar, Edgar >*McGregor, McGregor > Aldo is a very possible triangle mostly because of how they stack up to eachother. Aldo is a more complete fighter than McGregor but likely will never be able to stand up to his size, power, and striking style.

It's not a matter of being a fanboy or a hater. I respect McGregor's ability and his penchant for exciting fights but I wouldn't consider myself a big fan of his, and I don't favour him to Aldo.

All I'm saying is there seems to be one camp in here saying McGregor/Aldo 2 would be pointless because McGregor would steamroll him again, and another camp is saying it would be pointless because it was a lucky punch and Aldo would win a rematch.

My point is that we have no idea what would happen in a rematch. If we saw a couple of rounds play out where dominance was demonstrated by one side or another, there would be more of a basis to form a level of expectation on what could happen in a rematch. But with what we saw the first time around, it's really hard to say. Maybe McGregor knocks out Aldo inside the first round again. Maybe Aldo avoids the power and lands his own devastating blow. Maybe Aldo looks strong early but fades in the later rounds and gets TKOed.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
All I'm saying is there seems to be one camp in here saying McGregor/Aldo 2 would be pointless because McGregor would steamroll him again, and another camp is saying it would be pointless because it was a lucky punch and Aldo would win a rematch.

My point is that we have no idea what would happen in a rematch. If we saw a couple of rounds play out where dominance was demonstrated by one side or another, there would be more of a basis to form a level of expectation on what could happen in a rematch. But with what we saw the first time around, it's really hard to say. Maybe McGregor knocks out Aldo inside the first round again. Maybe Aldo avoids the power and lands his own devastating blow. Maybe Aldo looks strong early but fades in the later rounds and gets TKOed.

Sure, I get that. I saw Aldo eat shots and wobble during the last Mendes fight, and after that fight, I expected Aldo to lose soon because he was getting wobbled by punches that weren't really much more than jabs. I assumed that all it would take is for someone with decent punching power to drop him.

Before McGregor got his shot, I wanted Aldo vs Edgar 2, because I thought Edgar would be the guy to finally end Aldo's run. It's not that he wasn't an incredible champion either, he was. It's that he doesn't seem to have a good chin anymore, for some reason. So given his recent history, I don't see how he wins a fight with a guy who has even decent power. The only way he'd be able to beat McGregor is to take it to the ground, and I'm not sure he's strong enough to do that against a much bigger, longer opponent.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I remember when Randleman KO'd CroCop. I also remember the rematch where CroCop choked Randleman out.

Anything can happen in a fight.

The Great Dame

Goose will be loose
Jan 3, 2008
NJ
Seriously?? Diaz McGregor 2?? This is so stupid, nobody wants this. I think everybody would much rather see Aldo v McGregor 2 or Edgar v McGregor. Not sure what Danas thinking on this one.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Seriously?? Diaz McGregor 2?? This is so stupid, nobody wants this. I think everybody would much rather see Aldo v McGregor 2 or Edgar v McGregor. Not sure what Danas thinking on this one.

It's simple. If McGregor goes up two weight classes and fights guys that are bigger and heavier than him, and loses, the UFC can say their FW champion is a true warrior and went up in weight, and the hype train keeps rolling since they can still bill him as a champion even though he's not defending his belt.

If he loses to Edgar, they have nothing.

The Great Dame

Goose will be loose
Jan 3, 2008
NJ
It's simple. If McGregor goes up two weight classes and fights guys that are bigger and heavier than him, and loses, the UFC can say their FW champion is a true warrior and went up in weight, and the hype train keeps rolling since they can still bill him as a champion even though he's not defending his belt.

If he loses to Edgar, they have nothing.

I think the hype would have to die down a little bit with two straight losses, no? There's a greater risk of two straight losses with Conor fighting Diaz versus Edgar or Aldo I think.

Seems like it would be difficult to bill Conor as this unreal fighter with two straight losses to a guy who has proven he can't compete in the top tier of fighters at his own weight class.

ThrowDemTongs

kid named jeff finger
Mar 21, 2013
Coquitlam, BC
It's really lame to do this to Aldo and Edgar, but whatever. At 170? Looks like the UFC wants to kill the McGregor hype train once and for all. This will be another loss for C-Mac.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I think the hype would have to die down a little bit with two straight losses, no? There's a greater risk of two straight losses with Conor fighting Diaz versus Edgar or Aldo I think.

Seems like it would be difficult to bill Conor as this unreal fighter with two straight losses to a guy who has proven he can't compete in the top tier of fighters at his own weight class.

Well, for you, me and a large majority of people here, yes, the hype would completely die down.

But to Dana and anyone he can get to listen to him: "Up two weigh classes!! Warrior!! Featherweight champion!! Who's Frankie Edgar??"

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
It's McGregor calling the shots here. Guaranteed the UFC wanted Aldo 2 as an easier option. But it's reported that Conor is "obsessed" with the fact that he lost to Diaz at 170, and wants to prove that he is the better fighter at that weight. So Dana ain't smokin anything but Conor's ****.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad