Speculation: UFA targets

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Why are we so worried about paying players that are actually skilled?

For many reasons: #1 overpaying RFAs literally is counter to what the CBA was built for.

#2 AA has some highlight reel plays but, he's not a star. Hes relatively productive, but for 22 year old he's not a world burner.

#3 Because it's the first step towards undoing this whole thing about Holland overpaying everyone. He needs to show he can actually play hardball.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
For many reasons: #1 overpaying RFAs literally is counter to what the CBA was built for.

#2 AA has some highlight reel plays but, he's not a star. Hes relatively productive, but for 22 year old he's not a world burner.

#3 Because it's the first step towards undoing this whole thing about Holland overpaying everyone. He needs to show he can actually play hardball.

What makes you think he will get overpaid? Holland has generally been good with his RFA contracts. Plus the kid has been pretty productive so far.

Really not seeing the issue here.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
What makes you think he will get overpaid? Holland has generally been good with his RFA contracts. Plus the kid has been pretty productive so far.

Really not seeing the issue here.

I don't frankly see the issue, either. AA is a good player and will be compensated fairly. Hell, he's one of the few that has actually shown something under Blash, unlike the rest of our team.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Do you think he's going to get an unreasonable amount of money? What do you think an unreasonable amount of money is for him?

Guy is pretty productive even in limited minutes, and I'm really not worried about his production not matching the caphit for a RFA contract. That rarely happens with RFA deals Holland gives out anyways. He's generally pretty good with those.

UFA contracts are a whole other story, though.

Unreasonable? Anything approaching $2m. Overpaying at all? anything over $1m.

The problem is that he's had limited minutes. If he goes and produces on his next contract and gets an expanded role, the following contract will result in a massive raise regardless. If he wants the chance to prove himself and not wait long, take ~$900K for two years, and prove it on the ice. If he wants more money, the Wings should ask for term in return. If AA is hung up on $1.5m, the Wings should push it to three or four years.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016

The problem is that he's had limited minutes. If he goes and produces on his next contract and gets an expanded role, the following contract will result in a massive raise regardless. If he wants the chance to prove himself and not wait long, take ~$900K for two years, and prove it on the ice. If he wants more money, the Wings should ask for term in return. If AA is hung up on $1.5m, the Wings should push it to three or four years.

I don't disagree with you fundamentally, but if I'm AA, I'm arguing that my minutes were artificially low because the team was trying to scrounge a few pennies in the off-season. I'm also arguing that if Sheahan is worth $2m to the team, I'm worth significantly more.

I think playing brutal hardball with one of the few guys on the team who's actually offensively talented is something you can do between 1998-2009. I don't think it's something you ought to be doing with the 'talent' level on this team.

I do agree that the team should be looking for term in this case - 2 years for $4m or something would be poor GMing, IMO - but I think AA is certainly worth more to the team's future than a $900k slap in the face, after a two year long refusal to play him over worse players.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I mean... on the lists of things I'm concerned with on this team... This isn't even in the top 100.

He has 23 goals in 87 career NHL games, the first half of that playing very limited minutes. That's more goals than Abby and Helm have over their last 87 games, who are making twice as much money as what AA will get.

And we are worried about a RFA maybe getting handed 1.5-2.0 million dollars instead of 900K????

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
On a good side, it might be a better place for college FAs to come now that spots are opening up.

Names like Aston-Reese (63 pts in 38 games with Northeastern U) would be a welcomed sight.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
On a good side, it might be a better place for college FAs to come now that spots are opening up.

Names like Aston-Reese (63 pts in 38 games with Northeastern U) would be a welcomed sight.

Speaking of Reese

Per McKenzie

PIT, EDM, VAN, SJ, LA, DET in on one of them (Aston-Reese); BUF, DAL, NJ, COL in on the other (Bayreuther).

Sheriff Bert

Blash is Trash
Apr 24, 2014
Buffalo, NY
See, I'm a HUGE Vanek fan, but is it worth bringing him back? It really depends on the type of team we go into next season playing as. If we're in the same position, why waste the cap space on a placeholder? And if we resign him with the goal of keeping him, we just added another player past 30. So we waste a spot for a younger player all for a third round pick again.

The division isn't gonna get any easier to play in, and without a significant lineup change, we can expect the same results for a few years.

Our main goal should be to unload a big contract or two after this year, and go after a D-man in free agency, as Green has a good chance to get traded.

If we have the space, try to go after a younger top 9 forward (Oshie, Hanzal, etc.). A guy like Hanzal could add some size and take some pressure off of Z if he isn't demanding crazy money.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Do we have a legitimate shot at him?

I don't see why he'd pick Detroit over some of those options.

Of course, maybe he wants a legitimate shot at a top role. He wouldn't get that at some of those locations.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Assuming he hits the market, I'd give Yakupov one last chance. If he still sucks, he helps the tank. If he's decent, he'd be a great story.

TNigs

60 mins of Hell
Jul 29, 2012
Hockeytown
See, I'm a HUGE Vanek fan, but is it worth bringing him back?

Kenny loves old guys that used to be on the team, Samulesson, Quincey, Bertuzzi. I'd say he wont get much interest around the league, like the trade deadline, and sign another short term deal with the wings.

theD86

Winging it
Jun 23, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
Holland needs to shed bad contracts which won't be easy. Most likely they will have to retainsome of the contracts they move. But if it means moving forward then they should bite the bullet and do it

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008

Lol this is ridiculous. AA is overpaid making over $1 million. He's second on the team in goals with 4th line minutes and garbage linemates. There's no justifying your logic.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
ya know, the one thing that really pisses me off w holland and co is their lack of trying to get top free agents. If Danny D was born elsewhere in the US, he doesnt pick Detroit.

At least get your name into the mix, be in on the fun. Don't just sit around with a thumb up your ass.... so annoying.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
ya know, the one thing that really pisses me off w holland and co is their lack of trying to get top free agents. If Danny D was born elsewhere in the US, he doesnt pick Detroit.

At least get your name into the mix, be in on the fun. Don't just sit around with a thumb up your ass.... so annoying.

They were in on Aston-Reese. They were in on Vesey. They were in on Schultz.

For UFAs, they were in on every D-man but Stralman a couple years ago. They were in on Nielsen, Matt Martin, etc.

They're in on guys all the time... but now, they're facing a rebuild so they don't land those guys anymore.

And that's what happens when you put parity in the league. Make it so 20 teams got a shot at a guy like Aston-Reese instead of three or four as it would have been in the early 2000s (Detroit, NY, Toronto, etc.) and the chances of one team landing him nosedive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad