Speculation: UFA targets

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Everything is not black and white, you make it seem like
Morgan Reilly and Nazem Kadri do not at all have any addition to their rebuild, when they clearly do.

My main point is Toronto is not in year 2 of a rebuild. They are most likely in year 10 of many ****** rebuilds... AND that that starting point is much further ahead than where we are NOW.
Wasn't Rielly drafted 4th overall? Seems like that's within the margin of error for tanking.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I agree on Del Zotto. Sounds like a good move.

I really am not okay with them just standing pat. I know everyone wants them to suck next year too so they can land Dahlin... but I think they need to look at refurbishing this team more than hope and pray to be #1 or #2OA with the same roster.

Move Green, one of Nike or Tats, and use a ocuple of those thirds to entice VGK to take on Ericsson or Helm or someone.

Shake up the roster and then sign an Oshie or someone and add a reclamation project or two like Vanek.

Bringing back the same ridiculously flawed roster next year should be out of the question.

And if they did land Oshie...

Nike/Tatar-Z-Mantha
AA-Nielsen-Oshie

Looks like a pretty good top 6.

And the Wings would be setting themselves up to never lose a shootout ever.

No offense but that top 6 looks ugly as hell. Especially in another couple years when Z is finished. You're not doing anything with that top 6 except competing for bottom ten in the league.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
UFAs like Oshie and Shattenkirk are the types of players that contenders should be adding to push themselves over the top. Not basement teams looking to become merely below average. (That is, assuming they're looking for long-term deals.)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think the cap is gonna go up ~2M. The CAD vs. USD level is quite same as in last 2 years from yearly period and that 2M raise has happened every year. the has been Winter Classics, World Cup etc. to collect extra revenues.

So, with 75 MILLION CAP:

1. Zetterberg - 6.083M
3. Nielsen 5.250M
3. Nyquist - 4.750M
4. Abdelkader - 4.250M
5. Helm - 3.850M
6. Tatar - estimated 3.750M raise. Bad season, so no chance for a Nyquist-level raise.
7. Sheahan - 2.075M
8. Glendening - 1.800M
9. Athanasiou ~1.6M estimated raise
10. Larkin - 925k
11. Mantha - 863k
12. Bertuzzi 662k
---------------------
13. Callahan 660k
14. Nosek 612k

LTIR, Franzen - 3.954M

1. Green - 6.000M
2. DeKeyser - 5.000M
3. Kronwall - 4.750M
4. Ericsson - 4.250M
5. Ouellet - 1.715M (+1M raise)
6. Jensen 812k
7. Sproul 625k

If Sproul is stolen in expansion draft, promote Russo 680k and caphits will go almost even.

1. Howard - 5.292M
2. Mrazek - 4.000M

Other costs:
2015-16 Bonus overage - 0.000k ?
Weiss buyout - 2.557M
Salary retentions - 0.000k

Current total figures : 76.094M
Salary Cap (estimated) ~75.000M

= Cap space -1.094M (with 14+7+2 roster = 23)
LTIR Cap maximum space through Franzen LTIR = 2.858M

Shattenkirk-scenario:

Jimmy Howard buyout + promoting Coreau would raise the CAP space (including Franzen LTIR) to 5.8M.

Drop Russo from defence back in AHL and at highest we can offer for Shattenkirk 6.4M. That's a low-ball offer. But whatever, guy is a Ranger already.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Ideally, I hope Holland re-signs AA and Tatar and calls it a summer. Realistically, I'm afraid Holland won't stop there if he's got even a spare nickel to burn.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Some 1-year UFA guy would work again, if got cheap. Then sell him like Vanek at the deadline, if we are out of playoff race.

There will be many buyouts before the Expansion draft and formerly bought out guys like Brad Richards and Tomas Vanek have been Holland's earlier targets. They did sign cheap, because bigger paycheck was coming from elsewhere.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Some 1-year UFA guy would work again, if got cheap. Then sell him like Vanek at the deadline, if we are out of playoff race.

There will be many buyouts before the Expansion draft and formerly bought out guys like Brad Richards and Tomas Vanek have been Holland's earlier targets. They did sign cheap, because bigger paycheck was coming from elsewhere.

Unfortunately, doing that(unless we're talking like league minimum cheap) likely means we'll be doing the LTIR dance yet again.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Dennis Wideman, come on down! You're the next contestant on blueline band-aids!

Sad thing is this is the most reliable option of happening. I'll say 5 year deal 20 million.

Not that i agree with this move but anyone I would want to bring into the fold ain't gonna want to join up.

Last edited:

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Nobody.

Please do not sign anybody to a big contract. Add a depth defenceman at a low cost and embrace the rebuild.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Ejdsell has nice frame to build around. Would be worth trying.

Haapala plays in my Finnish favourite team and he has some "poor man's Johnny Hockey" potential in him. But he has already had several concussions on his career, one more NHL level big blow in the head and his career is done. I think his career will be completed 100% in Europe. Guy has unbelieveable hockey sense, love to watch him.

Darren Raddysh is nothing special. Just a highest-scoring defenceman carried by OHL highest scoring offense collecting easy points. Hronek and Saarijärvi are both better in age+team -adjusted scoring.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Ejdsell has nice frame to build around. Would be worth trying.

Haapala plays in my Finnish favourite team and he has some "poor man's Johnny Hockey" potential in him. But he has already had several concussions on his career, one more NHL level big blow in the head and his career is done. I think his career will be completed 100% in Europe. Guy has unbelieveable hockey sense, love to watch him.

Darren Raddysh is nothing special. Just a highest-scoring defenceman carried by OHL highest scoring offense collecting easy points. Hronek and Saarijärvi are both better in age+team -adjusted scoring.

Fair points.

I would like the Wings to take shots at any of those players.

Free assets are free.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
Toronto is actually an excellent example to look at because they tried to become competitive and rebuild at the same time. Just like the wings. And it failed. Just like the wings. Toronto only acquired talent once they fully committed to the rebuild.

I really cant see the wings "fully committed" to a rebuild. I see them trying to rebuild a degree more so next year and simultaneously trying to get in the playoffs next year.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Thread went a little off my target.

Henrik Haapala

Victor Edjsell

Darren Raddysh

Brayden Burke

Anyone else?

Don't want or need any of them.

You can shoot in the dark and try to hit on these guys... but I just have a feeling they'll be in the Nosek, Frk, Pulkkinen, Backman, Janmark, Nastasiuk, etc. frame.

They'll just be more bodies who have zero chance of making an NHL impact and will therefore just take up spots in GR.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
None we can't afford to sign any UFAs, Even if the cap does increase some it will take all we've just to sign all of our pending RFAs Tatar will probably get around $4.5 million per and AA probably around $1.5 million per maybe more and still have Ouellet and Russo Ouellet could get slightly over a $1 million and Russo slightly under a $1 million.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
None we can't afford to sign any UFAs, Even if the cap does increase some it will take all we've just to sign all of our pending RFAs Tatar will probably get around $4.5 million per and AA probably around $1.5 million per maybe more and still have Ouellet and Russo Ouellet could get slightly over a $1 million and Russo slightly under a $1 million.

Not saying we should, but it seems like buying out Howard becomes a more legit possibility in June, with a decent amount of savings for a pretty minimal penalty. Combined with a bit of luck in the expansion draft (even just losing Sheahan's $2m), and the team *could* have a not insignificant amount of space.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think anything over a million is too high for Athanasiou right now. Give him another short contract to build up some more ice time/resume, and then come back for another deal when everyone has a better idea what he is. If we're going to $1.5m+ for him, it better be for four years so at least we stand a chance of the deal evening out on the backend.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think anything over a million is too high for Athanasiou right now. Give him another short contract to build up some more ice time/resume, and then come back for another deal when everyone has a better idea what he is. If we're going to $1.5m+ for him, it better be for four years so at least we stand a chance of the deal evening out on the backend.

Why are we so worried about paying players that are actually skilled?

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
You could argue that the reason Toronto has been rebuilding so long is that they tried to skip steps and accelerate the rebuild in the first place.

We have some good complimentary pieces and I think if we land that elusive 1C and 1D we'll be competitive within 5 years' time.

I think you're looking at 5 years with the lack of front line pieces the Wings have and what's in the system (noticeably the lack of quality D) and getting all those bad contracts off the books.. After drafting players there's usually a waiting period of a few years before they make a noticeable impact (except for the true elite players).

Worth noting it's 5 drafts since the Leafs took Morgan Rielly.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Because it's inflationary and short sighted to hand dollar amounts to guys over what they've earned without getting something back in the deal (term).

Do you think he's going to get an unreasonable amount of money? What do you think an unreasonable amount of money is for him?

Guy is pretty productive even in limited minutes, and I'm really not worried about his production not matching the caphit for a RFA contract. That rarely happens with RFA deals Holland gives out anyways. He's generally pretty good with those.

UFA contracts are a whole other story, though.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Only sign players they can flip at the deadline. Nothing over two years..He should be bargain hunting and that's it.

Specifically Dmen on 1 year deals they should be looking at.

Wings badly need some vets to at least somewhat stabilize the blueline + even depth Dmen are the # 1 desired piece every deadline.

Look at the returns depth Dmen in Smith, Hainsey, Polak returned.

Lots of candidates they to bargain shop for. Think names like Smith, Hainsey, Stone, Del Zotto, Oduya, Franson, Russell, Polak, Daley, Engelland, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->