Speculation: UFA targets

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I am not for one second advocating signing any UFA to a long term high dollar deal.

Who would you like the Wings to look at in free agency?

Personally, I'd like the Wings to target Tim Heed. Another one is Derek Ryan.

Anyone in Europe the Wings should try? Overage CHLers you like?

All ideas welcome.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
If Vanek will take another one year deal, that'd be great.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Shattenkirk or nothing. If you fail to get the top end defenseman yet again. Then stand pat embrace the tank for another year or two until some more bad contracts go away.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
They have plenty to retain young players.

They have 68 million tied up for next year. Meaning they have at very most about 8 million in cap space. Tats is probably getting 2 million of that. AA will likely go up around a million. I can't see them not resigning Miller the way Holland goes. That's another million. That leaves ~4 million in space. Remember though the CAD has had the bottom fall out of it over the last few years, this kills cap increases. This means that the team doesn't have more than a couple million in wiggle room. Who can they target for that money that is better than what they have without costing them financial wiggle room in the future? Personally I would rather keep the money, add it with a retirement or another year of cap increases and either use that to land a better FA or use it to take a **** contract on and get a better draft pick.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
They have 68 million tied up for next year. Meaning they have at very most about 8 million in cap space. Tats is probably getting 2 million of that. AA will likely go up around a million. I can't see them not resigning Miller the way Holland goes. That's another million. That leaves ~4 million in space. Remember though the CAD has had the bottom fall out of it over the last few years, this kills cap increases.

And they lose a player in the ED. Even if it's a young cheap player, they still have plenty of space to keep the young players.

Miller isn't getting re-signed for a raise. He'll get a base 1-way for 750k. at max.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
And they lose a player in the ED. Even if it's a young cheap player, they still have plenty of space to keep the young players.

Miller isn't getting re-signed for a raise. He'll get a base 1-way for 750k. at max.

1 million flat is a reduction in pay. And they are likely to lose a Sproul/Oulleut, not Howard. Unless Vegas does Detroit a huge favor, it's likely Detroit will be less than 10 million from the cap limit before resigning RFAs/UFAs.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
1 million flat is a reduction in pay. And they are likely to lose a Sproul/Oulleut, not Howard. Unless Vegas does Detroit a huge favor, it's likely Detroit will be less than 10 million from the cap limit before resigning RFAs/UFAs.

I agree that Detroit won't lose any of their bad contracts. IMO, they will lose Sheahan.

In my OP, I was looking for players that would give Detroit depth, and/or a young player that a team missed on.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Shattenkirk wouldn't come to Detroit. Don't have the cap space, don't have the future.

Detroit could make it work. But shattenkirk most likely won't come to a team on the decline only getting worse.

But you asked who should be targeted which the only correct answer is shattenkirk. You didn't ask if it was likely.

I personally would embrace the tank. Retain the young talent we have(very little) and focus on FA hard in a few years once kronwall ericsson helm and Howard are off the books.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Only sign players they can flip at the deadline. Nothing over two years..He should be bargain hunting and that's it.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Dennis Wideman, come on down! You're the next contestant on blueline band-aids!

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I'm okay with Vanek coming back but I don't want this team to spend much. I'm sure the temptation is to spend and not open the new arena with a rebuilding team. I think enough people will go to games just for the new arena experience.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Dennis Wideman, come on down! You're the next contestant on blueline band-aids!
My fear for this summer is that he gets a 4+ year contract in the process.

The Vanek approach of a trial deal on a reclamation project is fine. But for the love of Howe, PLEASE no more golden parachute signings.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
My fear for this summer is that he gets a 4+ year contract in the process.

The Vanek approach of a trial deal on a reclamation project is fine. But for the love of Howe, PLEASE no more golden parachute signings.

I agree, Holland should not sign any UFA contracts longer than his own current contract. I would rather Holland not sign anyone.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Del Zotto would be a good reclamation project that we could possibly buy-low on. Like the Penguins did with Schultz. This team needs puck movers bad, and if he produces we could possibly flip him for a pick.

Always been a big fan of TJ Oshie, but not really sure that's a move we need to make right now. Probably need to stick to short term deals and/or reclamation projects, otherwise I'm fine with doing nothing.

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I agree on Del Zotto. Sounds like a good move.

I really am not okay with them just standing pat. I know everyone wants them to suck next year too so they can land Dahlin... but I think they need to look at refurbishing this team more than hope and pray to be #1 or #2OA with the same roster.

Move Green, one of Nike or Tats, and use a ocuple of those thirds to entice VGK to take on Ericsson or Helm or someone.

Shake up the roster and then sign an Oshie or someone and add a reclamation project or two like Vanek.

Bringing back the same ridiculously flawed roster next year should be out of the question.

And if they did land Oshie...

Nike/Tatar-Z-Mantha
AA-Nielsen-Oshie

Looks like a pretty good top 6.

And the Wings would be setting themselves up to never lose a shootout ever.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Only sign players they can flip at the deadline. Nothing over two years..He should be bargain hunting and that's it.

That's kinda what the Oakland A's do. Sign a guy to a short term deal...they play better than expected and their stock goes up in-season and the flip them for prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->