Value of: UFA John Carlson. Does he walk or Caps will lock him up?

Carlson will...

• Stay with WSH and get 6-7 AAV

• Stay with WSH and get 7-8 AAV

• Stay with WSH and get 8+ AAV

• Walk and get 6-7 AAV

• Walk and get 7-8 AAV

• Walk and get 8+ AAV

Results are only viewable after voting.

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
Everyone's eyes are always locked on EK and Doughty, but I think Carlson would look good in Edmonton and maybe be cheaper than the first two.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Caps are lucky if cap goes up... i thought with their cap management they were doomed to lose carlsson but now i think they can afford him

Hes a must sign if theres money enough to fit him in

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm guessing either Carlson's camp or Washington's want to see how these playoffs go before putting a cash value on Carlson, or maybe both sides want it.

I could see Washington wanting a player like Carlson getting that little extra motivation to win the cup to fight for his next contract. They'd gladly pay the extra AAV if it meant going deep in the playoffs for once.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Don't know how the Caps let him go.. they'll have to figure out away to get him signed.

A lot of teams would be calling if he hits the market.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If he hits the market I want Toronto to lock him up, we have a hole in our top 4 and he fills that need

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Probably not anymore, once he gets the Norris he's out of our price range, some team will give him over 60 million easily.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

i dont see him going anywhere. caps can give him the 8 mil he wants, even before the cap goes up. just means chandler stephenson replaces jay beagle as 4C

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Can't see the Caps parting ways with Carlson unless GMBM has a plan in place to replace him. The Caps kicked the tires on Erik Karlsson and allegedly were one of the more aggressive suitors for him at the TDL... maybe BMac tries to get a deal done for EK prior to committing longterm to Carlson. Or maybe he wants to see how the playoffs shake out before putting forth his best/final offer. Or maybe both.

Regardless of how it shakes out, GMBM (who was just signed to a multi-year extension) knows this team is cooked without Carlson (or a suitable replacement). He'll either resign him or make a move for another RHD. He won't put an AHL defense out there with Ovechkin and Backstrom firmly in the back 9 of their careers.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Caps are lucky if cap goes up... i thought with their cap management they were doomed to lose carlsson but now i think they can afford him

Hes a must sign if theres money enough to fit him in

Cap is going up for sure. It's been implied that it's going up anywhere between $78M and $82M. That's a $3M to $7M increase. Shouldn't be too hard to sign Carlson. Question is, is GMBM willing to give Carlson $8M/season for the next 8 years? That's the price.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
He's going nowhere. Caps lost a couple of important dmen last summer. They can't afford to lose Carlson if they plan to stay competitive

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Cap is going up for sure. It's been implied that it's going up anywhere between $78M and $82M. That's a $3M to $7M increase. Shouldn't be too hard to sign Carlson. Question is, is GMBM willing to give Carlson $8M/season for the next 8 years? That's the price.

I think they give him 8M in a heartbeat. They better hope his camp agrees to sign that low, because there will be teams willing to pay more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad