U18 World Championship General Discussion

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
The question is, how many underagers will be added to this squad?

With several players from the remarkably strong '08 draft class available, how many will get named?

To name three from the OHL, I'm talking:

Steve Stamkos (Sarnia)
Drew Doughty (Guelph)
Alex Pietrangelo (Mississauga)

When does the roster get named anyway, is it today?

Doughty is eligible in 08 but he has an '89 birthday. He's pretty much a sure thing to be named to the team, I think.

agent

Jul 15, 2006
saskatchewan
Another under ager eligible in 08

Doughty is eligible in 08 but he has an '89 birthday. He's pretty much a sure thing to be named to the team, I think.

I thought Tyler Ennis with Medicine Hat Tigers might be named as an under age if they loose out on Tuesday to Red Deer but he vanished from game 5 on friday and didn't dress for game 6. :(

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
I thought Tyler Ennis with Medicine Hat Tigers might be named as an under age if they loose out on Tuesday to Red Deer but he vanished from game 5 on friday and didn't dress for game 6. :(
Although I am cheering for Red Deer (b/c of Reimer), if Red Deer loses I think Canada would be very pleased/lucky to get Sutter. Otherwise, Ennis is a nice possibility assuming he's okay.

BlueJays

Dec 12, 2005
Add Doughty & Arniel

My sources tell me that these two players from the OHL's Guelph Storm have been invited to play for Team Canada.

D-man Drew Doughty as expected, and maybe a surprise selection in forward Jamie Arniel, although he had a pretty decent season for Guelph.

turnbuckle*

They should be naming a team soon.

I just talked to the Remparts for an Espo interview and he's on his way to TO to fly to Europe for the Under 18's.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
They should be naming a team soon.

I just talked to the Remparts for an Espo interview and he's on his way to TO to fly to Europe for the Under 18's.

I assume they are just waiting for the last two WHL series to wind up. Some important guys there: Negrin OR Plante and Sonne. And Sutter OR perhaps Ennis.

Pardon me if this question has already been answered, but does anyone know how much (if any) of the U18s will be televised?

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
I assume they are just waiting for the last two WHL series to wind up. Some important guys there: Negrin OR Plante and Sonne. And Sutter OR perhaps Ennis.

Pardon me if this question has already been answered, but does anyone know how much (if any) of the U18s will be televised?

TSN:
Tuesday, April 17 2007 World U18 Championship - Canada vs. Russia 12:30 p.m. ET
Thursday, April 19 2007 World U18 Championship - Quarter-final 8 a.m. ET
Friday, April 20 2007 World U18 Championship - Semi-final 8 a.m. ET
Sunday, April 22 2007 World U18 Championship - Gold Medal Game 8 a.m. ET

that seems to be all as of now on TSN.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
My sources tell me that these two players from the OHL's Guelph Storm have been invited to play for Team Canada.

D-man Drew Doughty as expected, and maybe a surprise selection in forward Jamie Arniel, although he had a pretty decent season for Guelph.

I don't think Jamie Arniel is that much of a surprise selection if he is named......he has already been talked about in this thread.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site

Well, as some have suggested the team may be named tomorrow and probably will be as a few more playoff series will be completed. Team Canada will then know if MacMillan is available and also if Sutter is available. The only reason to delay the announcement another day, until Thursday, would be to wait for the Kootenay/Calgary series to finish and Sonne and maybe Plante from Calgary and/or Negrin and maybe Sylvester from Kootenay to be freed up.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
My best guess for the core of the team:

F: Arniel, Boychuk, Couture, Esposito, Gillies, Knelson, Stamkos, Sutter, Torquato, Turris, Veilleux

D: Doughty, Doyle, Grant, Katic, Negin, Pietrangelo, Schenn

G: Cann, Holtby

* two spots left open of 22 man roster

timlap

Jun 19, 2002

F: Arniel, Boychuk, Couture, Esposito, Gillies, Knelson, Stamkos, Sutter, Torquato, Turris, Veilleux

My roster is similar. If Sonne is not eliminated tonight then I could see Allard and maybe Randy Cameron added.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mucha, Borden, or Loverock as backup but I'm just guesing.

I had Bourque-Leblanc in there ahead of Grant, but I could easily see Grant being the guy.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site

I doubt Pieterangelo will be invited.

We won't know about Negrin until tonight.

A guy like Riley Nash may get invited as well. Yves Bastien should be named, also Colton Sceviour will get consideration.

cdnhky1

May 16, 2002
Visit site
I doubt Pieterangelo will be invited.

We won't know about Negrin until tonight.

A guy like Riley Nash may get invited as well. Yves Bastien should be named, also Colton Sceviour will get consideration.

Pietrangelo has been invited as has Stamkos. This is going to be a very explosive team with a solid defense and very good goaltending from Cann. A definite gold medal contender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->