U18 World Championship General Discussion

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
A player I'd love to see in this tournament is Carter Bancks of Lethbridge. Reminds me of Darren Helm in his draft year - isn't that big, and the stats don't look great because he wasn't given a lot of offensive opportunities, but he can flat-out fly, has a bunch of untapped offensive potential, and would be tailor-made for the large ice surface. One of my favourite mid-round sleepers right now.
Good calls, MS. Bancks, in particular, has really come on. How about Craige of Lethbridge, Funk of Sakatoon and Smith from P.A.?

SakicAllStar

Jan 13, 2007
Canada
Tavares and company wont make it far in the playoffs, so if players eliminated in the first round are eligible, he should be added.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Hopefully not, because I would like to see Stamkos named to the team!

I'm torn. I'd love to see Sarnia go past the second round(heck past the first round!) of the playoffs, but I'd also love to see Stamkos at the under 18's. Ditto Katic.

Interesting the view they could past the second, I'm a fan, and it'll be an uphill battle, depending on where teams finish, Sarnia's meeting Kitchener, London, or Plymouth in the first round- all challenging first rounders.

I would think that players who go to the Under 17's tend to get a very long look for the World Junior team, true? If so, then it's not all bad if Sarnia doesn't make it far the thought of Katic and or Stamkos at the World Juniors in the next couple of years makes me grin :)-still like to see them make a serious march though through the playoffs.

Still nothing like being seventh and being possibly counted out to score an upset ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
I'm torn. I'd love to see Sarnia go past the second round(heck past the first round!) of the playoffs, but I'd also love to see Stamkos at the under 18's. Ditto Katic.

Interesting the view they could past the second, I'm a fan, and it'll be an uphill battle, depending on where teams finish, Sarnia's meeting Kitchener, London, or Plymouth in the first round- all challenging first rounders.

I would think that players who go to the Under 17's tend to get a very long look for the World Junior team, true? If so, then it's not all bad if Sarnia doesn't make it far the thought of Katic and or Stamkos at the World Juniors in the next couple of years makes me grin :)-still like to see them make a serious march though through the playoffs.

Still nothing like being seventh and being possibly counted out to score an upset ;)

No guarantees for Stamkos to be at the U18's even if Sarnia is knocked out in the 1st round of the OHL playoffs. Stamkos is a 1990 born and this team will be made up of 1989 born players, as there should be more than enough to choose from for the tourney. But seeing what Stamkos has done so far this year in the OHL, I would go out on a limb and say he is asked to go if Sarnia is eliminated. Let's hope Burnaby is knocked out of the BCHL playoffs soon and Kyle Turris is available.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
that looks like a fairly solid team., especially on the blueline. Doughty is a force.

Yeah, I agree, I saw Doughty at the u-20 Try-outs in December, and honestly, I scratched my head as to why he didn't make it. At the camp, I thought he was our best defenseman, except maybe for Staal, everyone else looked slow and inconsitent in comparison.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Good calls, MS. Bancks, in particular, has really come on. How about Craige of Lethbridge, Funk of Sakatoon and Smith from P.A.?

Craige is so tiny. Might be well-suited for the big ice - sort of a poor man's Kris Russell - but he's not great defensively and his offensive production has dried up since being injured mid-season. Doubt we'll see him there.

Funk ripped up his groin and hasn't played since Christmas so there's no way he'll play ... will be interesting to see if he's still selected in the draft in June.

I've seen very little of PA and didn't really watch Smith closely at all so I can't comment too well on him.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
From the 5 WHL non-playoff teams I'd be looking at:
Sceviour
Mucha
Erhardt
Bast
Gillies
Klassen
Craige
Bancks
King
Boychuk
Almond
Schenn
possibly Leclerc

From the OHL (4 teams out) I'd consider:
Torquato
Skellet
Cann
Harnden
Bastien
Bailey
Parlett

Q (2 teams out):
Fortier
DiDomenico
Garnier
Dupont
Grant

Some of these players will become moot when 1st round eliminated players (and some BCHLers- perhaps Nash, Winnet and, possibly, Turris) arrive.

MS- I knew Funk was out and not available for the U18s. I just wanted to know what you thought of him. Klassen seems to play a similar game.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
From the 5 WHL non-playoff teams I'd be looking at:
Sceviour
Mucha
Erhardt
Bast
Gillies
Klassen
Craige
Bancks
King
Boychuk
Almond
Schenn
possibly Leclerc

From the OHL (4 teams out) I'd consider:
Torquato
Skellet
Cann
Harnden
Bastien
Bailey
Parlett

Q (2 teams out):
Fortier
DiDomenico
Garnier
Dupont
Grant

Some of these players will become moot when 1st round eliminated players (and some BCHLers- perhaps Nash, Winnet and, possibly, Turris) arrive.

MS- I knew Funk was out and not available for the U18s. I just wanted to know what you thought of him. Klassen seems to play a similar game.

The guys in bold above are basically locks to make the club. I would almost guarantee they have already been contacted about being part of the team and have accepted unless injuries come into play.

I think a guy like Linden Rowat could be named to the team if the Regina Pats are knocked out of the WHL playoffs in the first round, although it might be a good idea to talk to Cann and Mucha or Leclerc now and lock them up early. I don't think there's much of a difference between any of them.

Look for guys like Doughty, Sutter, Arniel, Turris, Katic, Hickey, Couture, Stamkos, Esposito and hopefully Tavares named to the team after they are all eliminated from the 1st round of the CHL playoffs starting this weekend. Riley Nash out of the BCHL could also have a chance at the team, but he may be a bit of a long shot at this point.

Canada could have a real fine team if things fall into place in the next week or so.

Fripp

Sep 6, 2005
Portland, OR
I'm curious to see how Mucha performs on a good team. He swept the Hawks team awards at the last home game last weekend.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Hmm. Canada plays their group games in Rauma. If they would've played in Tampere I would've gone to see their games...

Well, they'll be in the finals probably, so at least I'll catch them there...

Does anyone know where they'll play the two practice games against Germany and Sweden?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. They play in Nokia and Lempäälä. Maybe I'll catch those...

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Jim O'Brien from the Univeristy of Minnesota will be joining the US team as well. He played as an underaged freshman this year and has been seen as a potential first rounder but was burried on a deep Gopher squad. This should be his big chance to show the scouts something.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
When is the team expected to be announced?

Team Canada should be named shortly after the conclusion of the 1st round of the CHL playoffs. Probably around April 2nd or 3rd at the latest. Team Canada usually likes to get together for a day or two before leaving for Europe and I believe this year their first ex. game is April 7th against Sweden. I would suspect 90% of the team will be already named, but not made public, before April 1st and they will only be waiting for one or two players to finish their playoff series.

To date, if Team Canada basically names the veterans from the summer gold medal team at the U18 Junior World Cup they already have;

GOALTENDERS

Trevor Cann - Peterborough OHL
Justin Leclerc - Lethbridge WHL

DEFENCEMEN

Alex Grant - Saint John QMJHL
Luke Schenn - Kelowna WHL

FORWARDS

Yves Bastien - Peterborough OHL
Zach Boychuk - Lethbridge WHL
Olivier Fortier - Rimouski QMJHL
Colton Gillies - Saskatoon WHL
Dwight King - Lethbridge WHL
Zack Torquato - Erie OHL

So to start, Team Canada has almost half the team from the summer champions to work with and some pretty good players at that. Barring any injuries I am sure all these guys will be named.

As for the other guys from the summer squad, well, Kyle Turris and his Burnaby Bulldogs are a game away from being eliminated and he would be a great addition and key returnee from the summer team. Team Canada will have the chance to add either Brandon Sutter or Tyler Ennis for sure, as the Red Deer and Medicine Hat are facing each other in the 1st round of the WHL playoffs. The same goes for one of either, Brett Sonne from the Calgary Hitmen or John Negrin from the Kootenay Ice, who are in battle right now in the WHL playoffs. Team Canada will also be happy with one of either, Bryan Cameron from the Belleville Bulls or Logan Couture of the Ottawa 67's, who missed the summer tourney because of injury, but would be a great addition for this one. John Tavares will be named also if Oshawa is ousted, as he also missed the summer tourney because of injury. Steven Stamkos may also get a look if Sarnia is ousted, although he is a 1990 born. Mark Katic will be named if Sarnia is ousted and they are down 2 - 0 at the moment to Kitchener. Thomas Hickey and Drew Doughty will also be named if their teams are ousted and both teams will be in tough to advance. So Team Canada will have more than half the team back from the summer for sure and possibly more. Some games will be broadcast on TSN as well.

brewins09

Feb 9, 2007
Team Canada should be named shortly after the conclusion of the 1st round of the CHL playoffs. Probably around April 2nd or 3rd at the latest. Team Canada usually likes to get together for a day or two before leaving for Europe and I believe this year their first ex. game is April 7th against Sweden. I would suspect 90% of the team will be already named, but not made public, before April 1st and they will only be waiting for one or two players to finish their playoff series.

To date, if Team Canada basically names the veterans from the summer gold medal team at the U18 Junior World Cup they already have;

GOALTENDERS

Trevor Cann - Peterborough OHL
Justin Leclerc - Lethbridge WHL

DEFENCEMEN

Alex Grant - Saint John QMJHL
Luke Schenn - Kelowna WHL

FORWARDS

Yves Bastien - Peterborough OHL
Zach Boychuk - Lethbridge WHL
Olivier Fortier - Rimouski QMJHL
Colton Gillies - Saskatoon WHL
Dwight King - Lethbridge WHL
Zack Torquato - Erie OHL

So to start, Team Canada has almost half the team from the summer champions to work with and some pretty good players at that. Barring any injuries I am sure all these guys will be named.

As for the other guys from the summer squad, well, Kyle Turris and his Burnaby Bulldogs are a game away from being eliminated and he would be a great addition and key returnee from the summer team. Team Canada will have the chance to add either Brandon Sutter or Tyler Ennis for sure, as the Red Deer and Medicine Hat are facing each other in the 1st round of the WHL playoffs. The same goes for one of either, Brett Sonne from the Calgary Hitmen or John Negrin from the Kootenay Ice, who are in battle right now in the WHL playoffs. Team Canada will also be happy with one of either, Bryan Cameron from the Belleville Bulls or Logan Couture of the Ottawa 67's, who missed the summer tourney because of injury, but would be a great addition for this one. John Tavares will be named also if Oshawa is ousted, as he also missed the summer tourney because of injury. Steven Stamkos may also get a look if Sarnia is ousted, although he is a 1990 born. Mark Katic will be named if Sarnia is ousted and they are down 2 - 0 at the moment to Kitchener. Thomas Hickey and Drew Doughty will also be named if their teams are ousted and both teams will be in tough to advance. So Team Canada will have more than half the team back from the summer for sure and possibly more. Some games will be broadcast on TSN as well.

This may be an opportunity to see a few new players who didn't play on the summer u18 who have developed throughout this season and may have outplayed some of the above-mentioned.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Has Aliu represented Canada before? I wouldn't mind seeing him in the colours of the Russian national team if he hasn't determined his allegiances yet!

I don't believe Aliu has represented Canada at any level of international play yet. He did not play in the U17 tourney last year for Ontario and did not get an invite to the U18 camp last summer and obviously did not play for Canada at the U18 Junior World Cup last August. So I guess you could have him if you guys want?

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
This may be an opportunity to see a few new players who didn't play on the summer u18 who have developed throughout this season and may have outplayed some of the above-mentioned.

Oh, you are quite correct in thinking that and there definitely will be several players who have raised their stock enough to get consideration for this team. Considering not every player from last summer's team will be available there will be more than a few openings come April.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Burnaby just got eliminated in game seven of their series. Turris was apparently hurt (a leg injury from the sounds of it) and didn't play in the third period until the last minute or so. Burnaby lost by just one goal after battling back from a 5-1 deficit, so a healthy Turris for the balance of the third might have changed the game's outcome. Assuming the injury is nothing, Turris will now have the U18s as his venue to show why he should go #1.

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
Here's hoping Turris is OK - I'm dying to see him in the Under-18's.
This team should be absolutely loaded considering Stamkos will likely be there as well with Sarnia down 3-0 to Kitchener.
Looks unlikely for Tavares though, with the Gens leading Kingston 2-0.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Halifax is unlikely to make it to round 2 so Logan MacMillan is likely a lock for the team.

Drummondville will likely beat Quebec so Esposito could become available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad