U18 World Championship Game Discussion

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Seems that the game was tighter than the score indicates. 41-35 in shots for Canada.

German talent Jerome Flaake was 1+1 today.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Seems that the game was tighter than the score indicates. 41-35 in shots for Canada.

German talent Jerome Flaake was 1+1 today.
I wonder if the high shot total is an indication that Germany is playing a more wide open style than usual. Good for them for registering 35 shots and scoring 3 times. On Canada's side, I hope they can tighten up their defence (not that I saw the game mind you, just going by the stats).

Arniel and Stamkos are off to a good start, amongst others.

brewins09

Feb 9, 2007
Arniel, Doughty and McCollum (goalie playing for USA) all play for Guelph Storm and are all late 89's. They have been talked about as being possible first rounders. Doughty, for sure top five.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
From the boxscore it appears the #1 Canada line-- getting featured PP time anyway--is the Boychuk Stamkos Arniel combo (figuring in 2 of the 3 Cdn pp goals)...I also see that the Gillies Esposito Veilleux line also figured the other PP goal for Canada--implying they are the 2nd PP unit....so it looks like the Couture Turris Torquato line is not going to get any pp time meaning Turris is not likely going to be piling up lots of points as a 3rd or 4th line depending onhow Yawney decides to use his last 2 lines--though Brandon Sutter (looks like he's playing wing on the other line centered by Fortier and the other winger being Bastien) did get the 7th goal today for Canada...

A lot of success also depends on the chemistry of a line and the amount of ice time--looks like Stamkos and Arniel already have a big thing going for them...it is hard for big stars on their own teams' pp's like Couture and Turris to play less time and not be go to guys on a 4 line rotation and then not get any pP time--so if that continues do not expect that much scoring from them...

BlueJays

Dec 12, 2005
Canada PP unit

Well Hawksfan50 you are both right & wrong in your assumptions here. Through the first 2 exhibition games and the first tournament game the PP unit is comprised of any of Stamkos, Esposito, Arniel, Turris, Schenn, Veilleux, Gillies, Boychuk, and Katic.

PK forwards include Couture, Bastien, Esposito and any of the defencemen.
It doesn't seem yet at least like they will give proven OHL PP performers such as Doughty & Couture a look in that capacity, interesting.

The shots were pretty close which was not expected, yet a good start for Team Canada to build on.
Many players are playing positions they are not used to such as centres Sutter, Couture, Arniel, Knelson, Torquato, so they may take a little adjustment period to settle in and learn the ropes so to speak.

Good luck the rest of the way Team Canada!

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Man that sucks I really wanted to see Chepronov play. He had a great year in RSL and thought maybe he would be very dominate in the u-18's
Canada-Russia will be on TSN next week, so you can watch him as long as you have access to TSN. Since you cheer for Chicago though, I'm guessing you might not. :(

Happyhary9

Jul 11, 2006
Canada-Russia will be on TSN next week, so you can watch him as long as you have access to TSN. Since you cheer for Chicago though, I'm guessing you might not. :(

Will it be just on TV or on broadband also. I don't get TSN on tv, which sucks. Right now watching hockey in the US is not as easy as it use to be.

Happyhary9

Jul 11, 2006
Does anybody know what happened on US's last goal they changed it from JVR to SCHROEDER.

Kaktus*

So far Russians took 26 minor penalty minutes (basically half of the game in penalty box) against 14 for USA. Russians outscoring USA.. God knows how.

4:2 Team Russia

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Looks like a 5-3 win for Russia with an empty-netter. O'Brien with 2 goals for USA. I'm starting to like him for the Leafs at 13.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Looks like a 5-3 win for Russia with an empty-netter. O'Brien with 2 goals for USA. I'm starting to like him for the Leafs at 13.

could be a surprise riser, comparable to Skille in that he may go higher then the stats suggest based on his size and pro-style game.

mnhowitzer

Jul 7, 2006
O'Brien took a lot of dumbass penalties this season for the Gophers and was a 4th liner. He rarely showed any speed. He was, however, the youngest player in the NCAAs this season so there is growth in all areas to be expected.

Apparently he's only played fwd for 2-3 year as he did with the Gophs this year. Depending on defections and incoming recruits, there was some small talk about moving him back to D next season. That will be a last ditch effort, but the coach and he himself both mentioned it in an article that there's a chance.

jockstrap

Mar 23, 2007
does anyone have info on dimitry kulikov the russian d-man that got 2 assists vs the usa ... strenghts, weeknesses etc. thnx

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
It seems like Thomas McCollum is struggling to adapt to the international game so far. The US has been consistantly out-shooting opponents but McCollum just keeps letting in the goals. Hopefully he's just out to a rough start because it's looking like this gamble could hurt the US' medal chances.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Nice game by the Russian 1990's. Filatov, Kugryshev, Loktionov, Kulikov, Chudinov with points.

Suprisingly, Maxim Mayorov didn't make the cut and is not participating.

cdnhky1

May 16, 2002
Visit site
It seems like Thomas McCollum is struggling to adapt to the international game so far. The US has been consistantly out-shooting opponents but McCollum just keeps letting in the goals. Hopefully he's just out to a rough start because it's looking like this gamble could hurt the US' medal chances.

I think we're going to see just how overrated this guy really is. He's benefitted from playing in front of a team, the Guelph Storm, with a defense first approach and two elite defensemen in Ryan Parent and Drew Doughty. His numbers were impressive this season but his technical skills, in particular his movement and recovery skills, leave a lot to be desired. I think the US made a mistake leaving Brad Phillips behind because he's a better goalie than McCollum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad