U18 Team Canada for the Junior World Cup

BlueJays

Dec 12, 2005
Correct on Couture, he was a lock for the team as he played very well at the camp but was sliced open for several stitches to his knee with only a few seconds left in the last intrasquad game.
Gagner just did not play well according to sources there. Still a few surprises though.

Whawks33

Apr 1, 2002
Portland OR
Visit site
I'd like to know how a kid who posts 3 points (2 g 1 a) in the intrasquad games, making him amoung the leading scorers for the games doesn't make the team. Sceviour was robbed.

Big Daddy

Dec 16, 2005
I'd like to know how a kid who posts 3 points (2 g 1 a) in the intrasquad games, making him amoung the leading scorers for the games doesn't make the team. Sceviour was robbed.

Doesn't seem right but maybe there is an unwritten cap on WHL kids? Since 11 kids from the WHL were chosen and all coaches are from the WHL there must have been someone from Hockey Canada pulling for the O and Q. It will be worse in following years when the staff is from the O and Q.
The same games are played with USA Hockey.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
I am considering heading to Piestany for the gold medal game if Canada makes it (might as well take advantage of being semi nearby in Germany). Does anyone have any information on tickets at all?

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004

Doesn't seem right but maybe there is an unwritten cap on WHL kids? Since 11 kids from the WHL were chosen and all coaches are from the WHL there must have been someone from Hockey Canada pulling for the O and Q. It will be worse in following years when the staff is from the O and Q.
The same games are played with USA Hockey.

I think it's far, far more likely that his numbers are better than he played. I don't mind Sceviour, and I think he's got a chance to have a great year this year, but it's a talented group and I wasn't expecting him to really get close to making it.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site

It's OK bud, I think the bigger shock is Gagner not making it.

Sceviour defninitely has some talent and could have made the team, but don't forget this is a talented group of kids and there were probably alot of tough decisions this morning. If Tavares and Couture had not been hurt, Sceviour would have been even farther from making this club.

Now please don't make much out of Mucha not making it.......it's mucha ok!

LWD

Apr 2, 2006
Just remember making this team is always a bonus, going over and performing well is another step. For those players who did not make it, you just have to prove them wrong and you will get another chance (u20). Hockey Canada is not always right.

Big Daddy

Dec 16, 2005
Piestany, Slovakia and Breclav, Czech Republic. It depends if you are in pool A or B.

patsfan29

Jul 30, 2006
Regina
Any chance TSN will show a few games? I wish they would.

unlikely...as far as i know (and according to tsn.ca) no team canada games are scheduled to be televised in the near future...guess we'll have to check out hockeycanada.ca for the tourney details

side note: although its no suprise to us Pat fans, congrats to Nick Ross for crackin' the lineup...top scoring d-man at the U17 held here in reg town and this kid can hipcheck like nobody's business...best of luck to him and the rest of the team in Europe!

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
It's OK bud, I think the bigger shock is Gagner not making it.

Sceviour defninitely has some talent and could have made the team, but don't forget this is a talented group of kids and there were probably alot of tough decisions this morning. If Tavares and Couture had not been hurt, Sceviour would have been even farther from making this club.

Now please don't make much out of Mucha not making it.......it's mucha ok!

Thought I'd pass along some observations from Monday's scrimmage game. From what I saw, not overly surprised Gagner didn't make this club.

Anyways, here's what I posted on the Oiler board...

OT - Canada's Under 17 Camp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Took in tonight's scrimmage game. Boy the Class of '89 looks very, very talented... even without its two blue-chip of blue-chip, Esposito and Tavares. Choked they didn't dress but there was no shortage of skill. Some impressions...

Positive:
- Colton Gillies is an immense package of size, skating, skill, and a bit of grit. At 6'4 1/2" and 188 pounds this guy is one of the best skating big men I've seen. When this guy packs on some weight he will be a force. Best player on the ice, imo.

- Two Saskatchewan boys Brett Leffler and Dwight King looked pretty good. Both are big kids who play physical. Leffler looks like to have real nice skills. King was fairly unnoticeable but he buried two goals. Looks like a fairly good up and down winger.

- Brandon Sutter carries the Sutter gene into the next generation. Good size at 6'2" and physically immature (as many of these kids). Good in the faceoff dot and solid two way game.

- Twin Towers ... I liked two big d-man who played on opposite teams. Alex Plante and Luke Schenn are big and physical strong. Both are pretty mobile for being large and in charge. Another d-men that looked good - P.K. Subban showed good puck movement and a nice point shot.

- Brad Malone showed some nice scoring touch. Another big kid at 6'2" and 204 pounds. Didn't do a ton but did show finish in scoring a nice goal.

-Yves Bastien is a smallish player who showed excellent wheels and skills.

- Sam Gagne: wasn't impressed by Son of Dave. Pretty good wheels but seemed to individualistic and knocked off the puck a fair bit.

Pretty impressive array of good old Canadian talent!

User571

Apr 5, 2004
Between the Pipes
interesting fact about Kevin Poulin who was the 3rd overall pick in the QMJHL draft and the 1st goalie taken. He has only been playing goal for 4 years now and was one of the best goalies in Midget AAA last year. He is 6'2/200 and is phenomanal quick and athletic, he is still raw in his take in goal and has more to work on. But to only play goal for 4 years and be this good, its scary.
Kinda late, but I played against Kevin this year at the Mission Cup. He's a very good goalie-he has really quick hands, good size, and has good footwork.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->