U18 Team Canada for the Junior World Cup

cdnhky1

May 16, 2002
Visit site
The 89' age group from Canada is deep and talented. Certainly a much better group than the 88's. I think this age group has the potential to be the best in Canada since the 85' group with some elite offensive players up front, skilled and mobile defenders and solid goaltending. That being said here is the list of players I expect to make the final roster for Canada.

Goaltenders:

1) Justin Leclerc
2) Kurtis Mucha

Defense:

1) Mark Katic
2) Drew Doughty
3) Thomas Hickey
4) Alex Grant
5) Luke Schenn
6) Brendan Smith

Forwards:

1) John Tavares
2) Angelo Esposito
3) Sam Gagner
4) Logan Couture
5) Brandon Sutter
6) Zack Torquato
7) Kyle Turris
8) Colton Gillies
9) Dwight King
10) Brad Malone
11) Brian Cameron
12) Tyler Ennis

As for the 90' group, I don't know about the rest of Canada but the 90's from Ontario are outstanding. Elite forwards like Stamkos, Hodgson, Livingston and Nemisz and 5 outstanding defensemen, Del Zotto, Pietrangelo, Gaulton, Cuma and D'Orazio. Of course, this doesn't include Tavares.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
As for the 90' group, I don't know about the rest of Canada but the 90's from Ontario are outstanding. Elite forwards like Stamkos, Hodgson, Livingston and Nemisz and 5 outstanding defensemen, Del Zotto, Pietrangelo, Gaulton, Cuma and D'Orazio. Of course, this doesn't include Tavares.

I would say out West the '90 born group is looking very good as well!

Colton Teubert, a 6'4 Dman, leads the way for top prospects right now. The 2006/2007 WHL season will tell the real story, but there are several other high end forwards and D-men coming into the league this year. Geordie Wudrick, Dale Hunt, Neal Prokop and Tyler Shattock are all forwards who were high selections in the 2005 WHL Bantam Draft. One wild card in the bunch is 1990 born forward Kyle Beach. A bit of a loose cannon at this point, Beach has the skills, skating, size and toughness to possibly be the best of the bunch. Let's hope Mr. Constatine can keep the lid on this kid!

As far as the Q goes, it looks to be real strong as well with guys like, Sauve, Cormier, Cornet, Doyle, Adam, etc.

Last edited:

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Canada is looking really good for the 1990 age group. I follow them all year for Ontario and I can tell you Stamkos, Del Zotto, and Nemisz are going to be players.

The 89's are a pretty solid group all across Canada and we should win some international hardware with this group.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I would say out West the '90 born group is looking very good as well!

Colton Teubert, a 6'4 Dman, leads the way for top prospects right now. The 2006/2007 WHL season will tell the real story, but there are several other high end forwards and D-men coming into the league this year. Geordie Wudrick, Dale Hunt, Neal Prokop and Tyler Shattock are all forwards who were high selections in the 2005 WHL Bantam Draft. One wild card in the bunch is 1990 born forward Kyle Beach. A bit of a loose cannon at this point, Beach has the skills, skating, size and toughness to possibly be the best of the bunch. Let's hope Mr. Constatine can keep the lid on this kid!

As far as the Q goes, it looks to be real strong as well with guys like, Sauve, Cormier, Cornet, Doyle, Adam, etc.

I would say Yann Sauve leads the way a little more than Teubert, seen both play and Sauve is better than Teubert, and it pretty much is the consenses right around right now by alot of scouts. I see the top 10 90 born canadian talents looking like this I am exluding John Tavares and anyone else with a late B-day for the 90's from this list:

1. Yann Sauve
2. Colten Teubert
3. Patrice Cormier
4. Chris Doyle
5. Steve Stamkos
6. Dale Hunt
7. Kevin Poulin
8. Mike Delzotto
9. Geordie Wudrick
10. Cody Hodgson

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
I would say Yann Sauve leads the way a little more than Teubert, seen both play and Sauve is better than Teubert, and it pretty much is the consenses right around right now by alot of scouts. I see the top 10 90 born canadian talents looking like this I am exluding John Tavares and anyone else with a late B-day for the 90's from this list:

1. Yann Sauve
2. Colten Teubert
3. Patrice Cormier
4. Chris Doyle
5. Steve Stamkos

6. Dale Hunt
7. Kevin Poulin
8. Mike Delzotto
9. Geordie Wudrick
10. Cody Hodgson

I think Stamkos could easily be number 2 on that list. You can make an argument with Teubert and Cormier being better than Stamkos at this point, but I can't say Chris Doyle is in Stamkos' class IMO. Not taking anything away from the kid (Doyle). Greg Nemisz could crack this list by years end as well. I like Dale Hunt and Teubert from out west. Sauve is an absolute beast from Quebec.

Cody Hodgson will get alot of points this year in the O... as will Del Zotto and Stamkos... .

When looking at Del Zotto think Drew Doughty but just BETTER in all areas. Speed is probably the only area they are equal in.

Depending if Oshawa improves this year (they were god awful to watch last year) will dictate if Del Zotto can reach the same point totals as Katic and Doughty. I think he can.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada

1. Yann Sauve
2. Colten Teubert
3. Patrice Cormier
4. Chris Doyle
5. Steve Stamkos
6. Dale Hunt
7. Kevin Poulin
8. Mike Delzotto
9. Geordie Wudrick
10. Cody Hodgson

Very good list though....

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
interesting fact about Kevin Poulin who was the 3rd overall pick in the QMJHL draft and the 1st goalie taken. He has only been playing goal for 4 years now and was one of the best goalies in Midget AAA last year. He is 6'2/200 and is phenomanal quick and athletic, he is still raw in his take in goal and has more to work on. But to only play goal for 4 years and be this good, its scary.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
The U-18 team list should be out this Wed on USAHockey.com

Thanks.

I know they don't send their 'A' team, but they are still usually competitive.

Canada should be strong with all available talent heading to camp in August. The '89's look a little better than the '88's on paper and the '88's captured the gold medal last year, as did the '87's the year before that. I believe the '86's, a weak year for Canada, placed 4th. The '85's dominated before that.

As for the Euro teams, you never know, but I am sure 1 or 2 of Russia, the Finns, Swedes, Czech's or Slovaks will be good.

DLMDLM

Aug 24, 2004
London Ontario
Angelo Esposito?

Why is he on the under 18 list and not on the WJC list?

Last year he tried out for the juniors and this year he is trying to make the under 18 team?

He tried out with Toews and only Toews made the team.... I thought he would be a lock for the WJC summer camp roster and a pretty solid chance of making that team.

Am I missing something?

no Gino

May 16, 2005
Why is he on the under 18 list and not on the WJC list?

Last year he tried out for the juniors and this year he is trying to make the under 18 team?

He tried out with Toews and only Toews made the team.... I thought he would be a lock for the WJC summer camp roster and a pretty solid chance of making that team.

Am I missing something?

Yes.

The under 18s are held in August. He will play in that tourney and then probably be invited to the U20 tryout in December.

DLMDLM

Aug 24, 2004
London Ontario
Yes.

The under 18s are held in August. He will play in that tourney and then probably be invited to the U20 tryout in December.

I thought that if you didn't attend the summer camp like Brule then you were off the team.

So in this case if you are playing in the under 18's then you don't have to attend the summer camp to still be considered for the juniors?

Will any other young players also be invited to the Dec camp? Couture or Tavares perhaps?

BlueJays

Dec 12, 2005
im surprised to see tristin llewellyn, ben blood, matt white and nick palmieri amongst a few others excluded from the roster.

The reason is very simple: They played poorly at the select 17s camp.
No spots on this team were "gimmees".
I too expected Llewellyn for example to easily make the team but he spent most of his time at the festival in the penalty box due to some very undisciplined play.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
The reason is very simple: They played poorly at the select 17s camp.
No spots on this team were "gimmees".
I too expected Llewellyn for example to easily make the team but he spent most of his time at the festival in the penalty box due to some very undisciplined play.

i know but the other 3 played very well from what i heard. i guess ill have to wait till ushr comes out with their report to find out though. were you there?

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
As threads like these always evolve into insert my "favorite prospect" from my "favorite team", because he did well at "this event". I believe I shall do the same (although he isnt close 2 my favorite prospect but he is on my favorite team and truthfully deserves to mentioned just as much, if nor more than anyone else) in mentioning Jordan Staal....does he fit agewise?

no Gino

May 16, 2005
I thought that if you didn't attend the summer camp like Brule then you were off the team.

So in this case if you are playing in the under 18's then you don't have to attend the summer camp to still be considered for the juniors?

Will any other young players also be invited to the Dec camp? Couture or Tavares perhaps?

You do not have to attend the summer camp to attend the actual tryout in December(see Pogge).

Brule is just giving the team a heads up that he will not be playing so they don't waste their time with him at the camp. In all actuality Columbus probably just doesn't want to risk injury with him and would rather he not attend.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com

If you don't attend the summer camp it doesn't mean you don't play for the team, actually players get added on for the winter camp and some others are left off because of poor play and. This is just an early pre camp, means really nothing except for the guys to get together and meet one another, but like I said come december there is going to be new faces at the camp, new invites and such

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Here is the roster......

No Couture, Tavares, Gagner, etc.....a few surprises for sure!

Cann, Trevor L/G 5'11" 184 03/30/89 Oakville, ON Peterborough (OHL) 2007 Dft/Rep.
Leclerc, Justin R/D 6'0" 182 01/26/89 Saskatoon, SK Lethbridge (WHL) 2007 Dft/Rep.

Defence

Doughty, Drew R/D 5'11.5" 190 12/08/89 London, ON Guelph (OHL) 2008 Dft/Rep.
Grant, Alex R/D 6'1.5" 185 01/20/89 Antigonish, NS Saint John (QMJHL) 2007 Dft/Rep.
Hickey, Thomas R/D 5'10.5" 183 02/08/89 Calgary, AB Seattle (WHL) 2007 Dft/Rep.
Katic, Mark L/G 5'9.5" 179 05/09/89 Porcupine, ON Sarnia (OHL) 2007 Dft/Rep.
Negrin, John L/G 6'2" 185 03/25/89 West Vancouver, BC Kootenay (WHL) 2007 Dft/Rep.
Ross, Nick L/G 6'0" 182 02/10/89 Lethbridge, AB Regina (WHL) 2007 Dft/Rep.
Schenn, Luke R/D 6'2" 210 11/02/89 Saskatoon, SK Kelowna (WHL) 2008 Dft/Rep.

Forwards

Bastien, Yves L/G 5'9.5" 165 08/02/89 Dowling, ON Kitchener (OHL) 2007 Dft/Rep.
Boychuk, Zach L/G 5'9" 160 10/04/89 Airdrie, AB Lethbridge (WHL) 2008 Dft/Rep.
Cameron, Bryan R/D 5'9.5" 180 02/25/89 Brampton, ON Belleville (OHL) 2007 Dft/Rep.
Ennis, Tyler L/G 5'8" 147 10/06/89 Edmonton, AB Medicine Hat (WHL) 2008 Dft/Rep.
Esposito, Angelo L/G 6'1" 170 02/20/89 Montreal, QC Quebec (QMJHL) 2007 Dft/Rep.
Fortier, Olivier L/G 5'11.5" 160 05/02/89 Quebec City, QC Rimouski (QMJHL) 2007 Dft/Rep.
Gillies, Colton L/G 6'4.5" 195 02/12/89 Surrey, BC Saskatoon (WHL) 2007 Dft/Rep.
King, Dwight L/G 6'3" 208 07/05/89 Meadow Lake, SK Lethbridge (WHL) 2007 Dft/Rep.
MacMillan, Logan L/G 6'1" 184 07/05/89 Winsloe, PEI Halifax (QMJHL) 2007 Dft/Rep.
Sonne, Brett L/G 5'11" 182 03/16/89 Maple Ridge, BC Calgary (WHL) 2007 Dft/Rep.
Sutter, Brandon R/D 6'2" 171 02/14/89 Red Deer, AB Red Deer (WHL) 2007 Dft/Rep.
Turris, Kyle R/D 6'0" 167 08/14/89 New Westminster, BC Burnaby (BCHL) 2007 Dft/Rep.
Torquato, Zack R/D 5’11.5†202 06/08/89 Sault Ste. Marie, ON Saginaw (OHL) 2007 Dft/Rep.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
How in the hell did Gagner and Couture not make it?

Brendan Smith and Chris Terry were injured, but they weren't favorites to make it.

Tavares was hurt or else he would have been a top forward.

No Couture WOW

Alter Haudegen

Dec 7, 2004
How in the hell did Gagner and Couture not make it?

Brendan Smith and Chris Terry were injured, but they weren't favorites to make it.

Tavares was hurt or else he would have been a top forward.

No Couture WOW

Couture got injured in the third intrasquad game last night and can't play in the U18 WC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad