U18 Russian team

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Russia's talent in juniors u 18- u 20 level invidual talent level is 4-6 best in the world to think otherwise is self deception... Rus just doesnt produce elite hockey players atm like Can Usa Swe and even Fin.

4th at worst maybe. Also mass exodus of players to CHL doesn't help, MHL would be alot more competitive if most of the top young talent stays.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Russian prospects are VERY tough to evaluate, even for Russians themselves. There are prospects who haven't gotten a chance to showcase their talents (Shvyryov is an example) and late bloomers.

So we really don't know how good this generation of Russian players will be.

I've already posted the thread regarding the 1987-90 born generation and how bad it was. Well just like Soviet hockey system didn't fall apart overnight, Russian hockey system wasn't rebuild overnight. The investments that go into the program are being used by players that are just starting out, 5-6 year olds. That means that it takes awhile before it starts paying dividends.

KHL started in 2008, less then a decade ago. I'm assuming that's when the bigger investments were coming in.

It's early, but 2018 Draft class looks like the best Russian class in long while.

Just saying...

As you know, Russian kids start much later in playing organized hockey under paid coaches, which means they don't have a proven record for coaches to judge. Which is another reason that it is a bad decision to go to North America before they are developed as players.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Russia's talent in juniors u 18- u 20 level invidual talent level is 4-6 best in the world to think otherwise is self deception... Rus just doesnt produce elite hockey players atm like Can Usa Swe and even Fin.

Who is delusional here?

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I've noticed on youtube that U17 team has played some exhibition games recently.

Do we have any info on these games, roster?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Who are the guys to watch on this U17 team, other then Knyazev and Afanasyev?

Yegor Spiridonov, Oleg Zaitsev, Daniil Guschin, Matvei Guskov, Vasili Podkolzin.

Guschin is born a year later than everyone else, so he's 2020 draft eligible.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Roster for the World Junior A Challenge:

GK
Daniil Isayev
Mikhail Isayev
Amir Miftakhov
D
Danila Galenyuk
Anton Malyshev
Daniil Misyul
Nikita Okhotyuk
Alexander Romanov
Pyotr Yasinskiy
Bogdan Zhilyakov
Daniil Zhuravlyov

FW
Grigoriy Denisenko
Ruslan Iskhakov
Semyon Kizimov
Vladislav Kotkov
Vladislav Mikhailov
Ivan Morozov
Pavel Rotenberg
Nikita Rozhkov
Nikita Rtishchev
Maxim Sorkin
Dmitriy Zavgorodniy
Alexander Zhabreyev
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I will mention though that this seems (and I REALLY hope not to jinx them) like a talented group of Ds.

This Romanov guy, he looks like another talent.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I mean he is an underager, yeah, but he has been playing with these guys throughout.

Knyazev hasn't been that impressive this season, unfortunately.

I will mention though that this seems (and I REALLY hope not to jinx them) like a talented group of Ds.

This Romanov guy, he looks like another talent.

This Romanov guy is Bilyaletdinov's grandson. :)

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Roster for the World Junior A Challenge:

GK
Daniil Isayev
Mikhail Isayev
Amir Miftakhov
D
Danila Galenyuk
Anton Malyshev
Daniil Misyul
Nikita Okhotyuk
Alexander Romanov
Pyotr Yasinskiy
Bogdan Zhilyakov
Daniil Zhuravlyov
FW
Grigoriy Denisenko
Ruslan Iskhakov
Semyon Kizimov
Vladislav Kotkov
Vladislav Mikhailov
Ivan Morozov
Pavel Rotenberg
Nikita Rozhkov
Nikita Rtishchev
Maxim Sorkin
Dmitriy Zavgorodniy
Alexander Zhabreyev
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

last year I sat front row watching USA and Russia in Montreal which ended badly in shootouts.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Russia got blasted by the USA in the Semifinal yesterday, 5-0. Total domination by the USA.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Another shoddy performance by a Russian youth team results in 4-2 loss to the Czechs and finishing in 4th place in this tournament.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Another shoddy performance by a Russian youth team results in 4-2 loss to the Czechs and finishing in 4th place in this tournament.
I couldn't care less about U18 performances as long as they produce a couple of players for the NT. Svechnikov would be eligible for this team, no?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
How many years has it been since the Russians have won anything at the junior level? I think probably one of the U17 tournaments.

I remember feeling optimism about Russian hockey several years back. Not anymore.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Theoretically, the level of Russian hockey was supposed to be elevated by the creation of the KHL and MHL, mainly in building greater depth of talent to staff senior teams. No evidence of it at all. The 100 trillion pound monster in the corner of the room is the trend that any youth player who is halfway decent is on the boat to NA the next day.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Theoretically, the level of Russian hockey was supposed to be elevated by the creation of the KHL and MHL, mainly in building greater depth of talent to staff senior teams. No evidence of it at all. The 100 trillion pound monster in the corner of the room is the trend that any youth player who is halfway decent is on the boat to NA the next day.
They are not doing anything to stop kids running away to waste their talent in NA minors. That's the only reason if you are looking for depth. Also the KHL is obviously not the solution if it throws out teams like Kuznya.

If you are looking for high end talent it is on the still deteriorating level of the kids schools. They squeeze a lot of money out of the parents, but they do not teach basic skills like they used to anymore.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

Sorry, but blaming NA for these problems is unconvincing.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Sorry, but blaming NA for these problems is unconvincing.

I was only reinforcing the prevailing thinking which is you if you happen to be one of the tiny number of hockey talents that is actually developed in Russia, your first objective is to get as far away from Russia as you possibly can! Six thousand miles to NA works perfectly fine! Of course NA is far, far ahead of Russia in hockey, and the gap actually appears to be growing, not narrowing. You can't blame NA for existing!

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Blaming hockey players for leaving is not a good look for us, and is a distraction from the real systemic issues that exist in Russian hockey.

The idea that some hockey players leaving is spoiling everything and that if we only forced them to stay home it would all be all right doesn't fly with me.

I want them to stay, but I don't think our domestic situation is all that good either. Maybe in the pursuit of profit Russian hockey has lost track of what matters most in the long run: development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->