GDT: U18 Round Robin/QF's

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I'll chime in a little from the Czech perspective (which could very well be VERY different from the Swedish one).

We are in all those tourneys every year. BUT... we got silver at Hlinka and then 80% of our roster left for CHL. So we are sending C and D teams to those tourneys. It's a lot of games but not many guys made the final roster. In fact, our final roster hasn't played together (mostly) since last August at the Hlinka.

USNDTP (which I love) are the same guys together all season. Belarus has something similar. I wish the Czechs would adpot it.

But, I don't see much value in a November U18 tournament where the Czechs have maybe 3 guys that will make the final cut (Benak, Jiricek would've and then it thins out fast).

Our U17 and U16 look very strong and I guarantee a lot of them will be gone after Hlinka too! Hard to sustain momentum.
Sweden uses them to try out players, find out who'll play the big tournaments.

Button just finished saying he thinks Canada is the favourite going into this tournament, he's drinking good scotch today.
When isn't he? :laugh:

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Some thoughts after the first…

Tij Iginla and Gavin McKenna were the best players on the ice for me. If you’re wondering why Tij is skyrocketing up lists. Go watch that period. As for McKenna. Disgusting. He has the best hands I’ve ever seen on a prospect

I liked Luchenko, Spence and Mews a lot too. Although with Mews he was a bit of an adventure in his own zone. Which tracks with what I saw in the OHL. When your team has the puck he’s great. When you don’t he’s a liability

For the Swedes I really liked Zetterberg and Sahlin Wallenius

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad