U18/2005 Draft prospects......

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Who from the recently completed U18 World Junior Cup raised their stock and who may have fallen(if that's possible?)

Is Brule still the consensus #2?? How about Cogliano, he led the tourney in scoring. Bertam and Bradford put up some points....so did O'Marra. Where does Little stand in comparison to Brule?? They are in different drafts I know, but seem like similar players. Little had better numbers last year in Major Junior.

Did Mikkelson jump up the charts?? He led all D-men in almost every category and he has size at 6'2. Does anyone know how Anikeenko played? Russia sucked and I'm guessing he wasn't a factor at all? Is he still a possible #2 overall?

Carey Price was the best goaltender in the tourney and could go 1st round as I stated about a month ago. Is he ahead of Levasseur and Moir at this point?

How about some of the other Euro prospects in this tourney?? How did they play and who are they?

Dan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Was there an All-Tournament team or awards given out at the Under-18 Junior World Cup? Thanks

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
You will probobly hear a lot about Brock Bradford between now and the 2005 draft. I have had the opportunity to see him play live. He is a dynamo with the puck, and one of the most technically skilled hockey players I've ever witnessed at his age. However, he is very.. very.. VERY small. Not saying he's a midget and he can't grow, but he could very easily be a Timmy Connolly at this point as well.

Brule once again shows why he could be a much, much better player than given credit for. Heck, most other years, Brule would be a #1 overall pick. I think this kid can be another Dany Heatley in the NHL, and I would not be so quick to say Crosby has the #1 spot locked up. With the GM's favouring the WHL over the QMJHL these days, if Brule can put up 100 points in the WHL to say, 170 in the Q for Crosby, it might be enough to sway a GM that holds the #1 overall pick.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
It would be nice to see Brule hit 100 points next year and he probably will, but if he did that and Crosby got 170 a GM would still take Crosby hands down. He had 135 points this year. And went to the WJC. He'll be at the WJC next year and will likely put up 180-200 points. That's pretty much a lock for top spot. In comparison, in their draft years Thornton put up 122, Marleau 125, Lecavalier 115, Lindros 149, and Lemieux put up 282. If he gets near 200 he's in some pretty good company, and ahead of a lot of other great players at the same age.

db23

Cogliano had more than twice as many points as Brule in the tournament and was named the outstanding forward. How that translates to Brule pulling away from him, I don't understand. For that matter, Ryan O'Marra who is a lot bigger and stronger than Brule scored more. Even defenceman Brendan Mikkelson did. :dunno:

RyanM

May 2, 2002
Sydney
Jay Thompson said:
You will probobly hear a lot about Brock Bradford between now and the 2005 draft. I have had the opportunity to see him play live. He is a dynamo with the puck, and one of the most technically skilled hockey players I've ever witnessed at his age. However, he is very.. very.. VERY small. Not saying he's a midget and he can't grow, but he could very easily be a Timmy Connolly at this point as well.

Brule once again shows why he could be a much, much better player than given credit for. Heck, most other years, Brule would be a #1 overall pick. I think this kid can be another Dany Heatley in the NHL, and I would not be so quick to say Crosby has the #1 spot locked up. With the GM's favouring the WHL over the QMJHL these days, if Brule can put up 100 points in the WHL to say, 170 in the Q for Crosby, it might be enough to sway a GM that holds the #1 overall pick.

I bet Crosby could sit on his ass from now to June and still go #1 overall.

db23

RyanM said:
I bet Crosby could sit on his ass from now to June and still go #1 overall.
You're right. The only question is what order the guys in behind him follow. I can't see where Brule made a great case for going #2 based on this tournament. As I recall, Cogliano played him at least even at the U17 Challenge last year as well.

SpaceGhost79

Mar 8, 2002
rivercanyon said:
Hmm I believe I read somewhere that Cogliano was awarded best forward and Niklas Hjalmarsson(sweden) best d-man. But that might have been after pre-finals.

Cogliano was named Top Forward for the round robin portion of the tournament. I don't recall seeing any articles or Hockey Canada press release on any overall tournament awards.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Jay Thompson said:

I heard Brule didn't do near as well as he should have at this tourney, his stock may have even fell.

Could someone tell me how Zherkov played for russia, I can't wait for him to join Eagles camp.

LovestheO

Jun 23, 2004
The difference between Thorton, Marleau, Lecavalier, Lindros and Lemieux and the so called can't miss in 2005 draft?
On the average, probably 4 to 6 inches and 40 to 60 lbs. Think that makes any difference in the draft?

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I also heard that Brule didn't play up to expectations. If Crosby can lead his team in scoring at this tournament as an underager and Brule can't come close in his own age group, they aren't in the same class.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
rivercanyon said:
Hmm I believe I read somewhere that Cogliano was awarded best forward and Niklas Hjalmarsson(sweden) best d-man. But that might have been after pre-finals.

On IIHF.com they reported that those two were awarded top forward and top defensemen respectively. In addition, Carey Price was named top goaltender.

krooky

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Jay Thompson said:

Are you kidding? Although we don't get to watch the U18 I gotta believe this tournament shows everyone once again that Crosby is the far superior player on stats alone. Crosby did far better last year than Brule did this year and I honestly believe if Crosby would have played this year he would of got about 5 points per game. Honestly.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
HabLover said:
Carey Price was the best goaltender in the tourney and could go 1st round as I stated about a month ago. Is he ahead of Levasseur and Moir at this point?
[\QUOTE]

I really wouldn't say that one. IMO Levasseur and Mior are still ahead of Price. Just because Price had a good tournament doesn't mean he is going to un seat the other come draft. I have seen all three play and not just at the U17s last year either and every time Levasseur was the most impressive, Mior 2nd and Price I find if he doesn't have a real good defense and he has to make the 2nd save he really isn't all that great where as that is where Levasseur shines. By the end of next year I think the goalies will go in this order.

1. Levasseur
2. Rask
3. Mior
4. Price
5. Vincent

I told people Bertram was good, and every said "oh he is too small and weak," well he out scored Brule once again in a tournament and so did Cogliano. IMO Brule is not a clear cut 2nd behind Crosby, IMO Brule, Latendresse, Cogliano, Bertram, Anikeenko, Kindl and Setouguchi could all be 2nd, depends on what a team likes more.

As for Russia haveing a bad tourny, they had a bad U17s as well, but players like Istomin, Anikeenko, Buravchkiov, Churilov, Makarov, Belykov all stood out. The only problem is that most of the forwards can't play as a team and they looked very confussed on the ice, too much razzel dazzel on the ice. So don't put too much stock in how the team did with them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad