Status
Not open for further replies.

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
U17 World Hockey Challenge

Tell me everything I need to know!
Every player(the real good ones) and there potential(How high in the draft)
I am wondering what teams to check out in the tourney
thanks in advance!!

Last edited:

Mooseheads@HF

Jan 17, 2003
East Coast
Pacific, USA & Ontario are no doubt the powerhouses and favorites to finish 1-2-3. Russia will most likly have a talented team as well. So any games with these 4 teams playing are deffently worth seeing.

Quebec will also have a talented team, While Western and Atlantic will ice strong teams and Germany, Finland and Slovakia seem to be the weak tems in the tourny.

BCCHL inactive

I would just like to point out that this is not a World Championship, it is a World Challenge. This tournament is meant for players to show off their skills for scouts, and it is sanctioned by Hockey Canada, hence there being five Canadian regional teams. The IIHF has nothing to do with the tournament.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Van said:
I would just like to point out that this is not a World Championship, it is a World Challenge. This tournament is meant for players to show off their skills for scouts, and it is sanctioned by Hockey Canada, hence there being five Canadian regional teams. The IIHF has nothing to do with the tournament.

Championship or Challenge really doesn't matter Van. GOBRUINS19 was just asking who he or she should check out and what teams will be strong. Nobody mentioned it was sanctioned by the IIHF either. This tourney isn't just about showing off skills for various scouts, there is also alot of pride involved, whether it be any one of the 5 regional Canadian teams, the USA or any of the Euro teams. In the end, where a player gets drafted has a small amount to do with his performance in this tourney. Next year is the big year for all draft eligible players from this event!

BCCHL inactive

HabLover said:
Championship or Challenge really doesn't matter Van. GOBRUINS19 was just asking who he or she should check out and what teams will be strong. Nobody mentioned it was sanctioned by the IIHF either.

I realize that. I was simply clearing up any possible confusion that anybody might have about this tournament.

What I said had nothing to do with what GOBRUINS19 was asking.

Hitman*

Meh, I still prefer the Mac's. Even if it is just AAA Midget, we at least got Sidney Crosby at ours :yo:

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Hitman said:
Meh, I still prefer the Mac's. Even if it is just AAA Midget, we at least got Sidney Crosby at ours :yo:

actually last year the Canada Winter Games took over the U17s and Crosby was at that so if the U17s were on last year instead of the CWG then Crosby would have been at that as well :yo:

I think the US will be the team to beat as they are the two time defending champs. GOBRUINS are you planning to go to any of the games?

One of the US assistant coaches is female (Shelley Looney), but she won't be making the trip to St. John's as the US women are having a national team camp at the same time as the tourney and it is in her contract that she will be allowed to go to Team USA events. That's a major disappointment for me as I was looking forward to seeing a woman behind the bench of a male team as you do not see that very often.

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
womenshockeyfan said:
I think the US will be the team to beat as they are the two time defending champs. GOBRUINS are you planning to go to any of the games?
QUOTE]

Yes I am planning on going to some games. That is why I wrote this thread so people could inform me which teams are the best and who are the best players

Steelerman

Dec 19, 2002
Manitoba
Visit site
First of all, congrats GOBRUINS19 on hosting the tournament. Had the pleasure of going to many of the games in Selkirk/Stonewall two years ago it was a great experience. I'm envious that you'll be getting to go to those games this year.

The Americans, Pacific, and Russia will probably be the favourites in the Challenge this year. Ontario and Quebec are always in the running for medals. Team Atlantic won't have Crosby but look much better on paper than in 2001 and will have the home crowd behind them. Western are in tough but will be competitive. Finland and Germany were poor two years ago, perhaps they will have improved now. Slovakia are making their debut in the Challenge are an unknown quantity.

Some of the names that are mentioned prominently (by moosefan primarily and others) follows:

Pacific- Gilbert Brule (FW), Brock Bradford (FW), Devon Setoguchi (FW), Jason Lynch (D), Casey Price (G)

Western- Chris Durand (FW), Codey Burki (FW), Tyler Dittmer (FW), Brodie Dupont (FW)

Ontario- Bryan Little (FW), Bobby Hughes (FW), Kyle Lamb (D), Marc Staal (D), Ryan Wilson (D)

Quebec- Guillaume Latendresse (FW), Francis Charette (FW), Francis Pare (FW), Francis Guerrette-Charland (FW), Marc-Andre Cote (FW), Derick Brassard (FW), Kristopher Letang (D), Mathieu Carle (D)

Atlantic- Kenzie Sheppard (FW), Daniel Ryder (FW), Dean Ouellet (FW), Ryan Mior (G)

Russia- Vitaly Anikeenko (D), Sergey Belyakov (FW), Alexey Sopin (FW), Gennady Churilov (FW), Alexander Kucheryavenko (FW), Alexey Privalov (D), Vyacheslav Buravchikov (D)

United States- Philip Kessel (FW), Jack Skille (FW), Peter Mueller (FW), Jack Johnson (D), Jeff Frazee (G)

Germany, Finland and Slovakia are a mystery to me (trying to locate some info on them other than the rosters off Hockey Canada). Perhaps others will fill in the missing blanks, plus some of the other players I've missed. In any event it should be an exciting Challenge. Enjoy!!

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Steelerman said:
First of all, congrats GOBRUINS19 on hosting the tournament. Had the pleasure of going to many of the games in Selkirk/Stonewall two years ago it was a great experience. I'm envious that you'll be getting to go to those games this year.

The Americans, Pacific, and Russia will probably be the favourites in the Challenge this year. Ontario and Quebec are always in the running for medals. Team Atlantic won't have Crosby but look much better on paper than in 2001 and will have the home crowd behind them. Western are in tough but will be competitive. Finland and Germany were poor two years ago, perhaps they will have improved now. Slovakia are making their debut in the Challenge are an unknown quantity.

Some of the names that are mentioned prominently (by moosefan primarily and others) follows:

Pacific- Gilbert Brule (FW), Brock Bradford (FW), Devon Setoguchi (FW), Jason Lynch (D), Casey Price (G)

Western- Chris Durand (FW), Codey Burki (FW), Tyler Dittmer (FW), Brodie Dupont (FW)

Ontario- Bryan Little (FW), Bobby Hughes (FW), Kyle Lamb (D), Marc Staal (D), Ryan Wilson (D)

Quebec- Guillaume Latendresse (FW), Francis Charette (FW), Francis Pare (FW), Francis Guerrette-Charland (FW), Marc-Andre Cote (FW), Derick Brassard (FW), Kristopher Letang (D), Mathieu Carle (D)

Atlantic- Kenzie Sheppard (FW), Daniel Ryder (FW), Dean Ouellet (FW), Ryan Mior (G)

Russia- Vitaly Anikeenko (D), Sergey Belyakov (FW), Alexey Sopin (FW), Gennady Churilov (FW), Alexander Kucheryavenko (FW), Alexey Privalov (D), Vyacheslav Buravchikov (D)

United States- Philip Kessel (FW), Jack Skille (FW), Peter Mueller (FW), Jack Johnson (D), Jeff Frazee (G)

Germany, Finland and Slovakia are a mystery to me (trying to locate some info on them other than the rosters off Hockey Canada). Perhaps others will fill in the missing blanks, plus some of the other players I've missed. In any event it should be an exciting Challenge. Enjoy!!

you are forgetting Luc Bourdon of the Atlantic team, one of the best 87 born d-men in Canada same goes for J-P Paquet for Quebec and J-P Levassuer the top goalie in the QMJHL draft, on the USA Chad Morin and Jason Lawrence are super highly touted prospects and Nathan Gerbe is like Theo Fleury type player. For Ontario Chris Lawrence and 1st overall Patrick McNeill are two great ones to watch and possible one of the best 87s in Canda with Andrew Cogliano is their best player, also keep on eye on Ryan O'Marra of Ontario.

left off probably by accident is one of the best players at this tourny in Daniel Bertram with Pacific and Mike Gauthier one of the best 87 born d-men in Canada. Russia also has Denis Istomin, Vyacheslav Buravchikov is a d-man who is one of the leading scorers in the league every year, also Igor Makarov are great maybe super prospects to watch.

For Germany look for Christoph Gawlick he is 16 playin the top German league.

the two underagers on Slovakia are suppose to be super prospects.

Steelerman

Dec 19, 2002
Manitoba
Visit site
Knew you'd come along to help out, moosefan. Thanks.

BTW did have Buravchikov on the list, how couldn't I with the points he put up in the Moscow tournaments last year?

Are you planning to go to any of the games moosefan? Hope you'll be able to post some reports on what you see since you've got a good feel for who's got the goods and who doesn't.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Steelerman said:
Knew you'd come along to help out, moosefan. Thanks.

BTW did have Buravchikov on the list, how couldn't I with the points he put up in the Moscow tournaments last year?

Are you planning to go to any of the games moosefan? Hope you'll be able to post some reports on what you see since you've got a good feel for who's got the goods and who doesn't.

Yeah I am doing scouting at the games I leave for Newfoundland December 28 and come back on the 6th of Jan. so I will put some thoughts up after the 6th.

Korkki

Mar 6, 2002
Pori, Finland
Finnish team from www.finhockey.fi - Please note that we have quite tough flu epidemy running right now and there may be changes.

MAALIVAHDIT
1 Toivonen Juha, HPK
30 Nieminen Jani, HIFK

PUOLUSTAJAT
2 Hannula Niko, Ilves
4 Maunula Henrik, TPS
5 Seppänen Timo, HIFK
6 Tuomainen Tomi, KalPa
7 Kurki Mikael, Jokerit
8 Leinonen Tommi, Kärpät
9 Mielonen Juho, Ilves

HYÖKKÄÄJÄT
10 Ramstedt Teemu, HIFK
11 Mäkelä Ville, Kärpät
12 Lindgren Perttu, Ilves
13 Lehtonen Mikko, Blues
14 Enlund Joonas, HIFK
15 Korhonen Ville, Ilves
16 Peltomaa Jussi, Ässät
17 Koskinen Joonas, Tappara
18 Osala Oskar, Sport
21 Virtanen Tomi, TPS
23 Reijosalo Antti, Kärpät
24 Väänänen Markus, Jokipojat
27 Hattunen Jarkko, Pelicans

JOHTORYHMÄ
Juha Pajuoja, päävalmentaja
Juha-Pekka Lehmus, valmentaja
Hannu Soro, joukkueenjohtaja
Kari Lehtonen, mv-valmentaja
Teemu Tiitinen, lääkäri
Janne Jansson, huoltaja

Korkki

Mar 6, 2002
Pori, Finland
I am very surprised why Mika Halava has been left out of the team. He has produced lots more points than other two players who use stick from right side.
There are only Ramstedt, Osala, Korhonen, Enlund and Lindgren who have made more points on Junior B. OK, I think that Halava has not progressed as fast as I thought before the season, but he still is better than most of that team. Again the old "truth" continues that there is a maximum of Ässät players to be chosen to junior tournaments (OK, there have been six different Ässät 87'ers who have played International games, maybe the highest amount ever - I don't remember how many from 1972 born guys played internationals)

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I started a thread about this tournament in the WJC forum ( Link ). I figured that would be the best place for it but so far nobody has had much to say. If you get the chance, it would be nice to hear some first hand accounts from the games whf. Thanks for the pictures as well.

JV

Feb 12, 2003
na
Visit site
cagney said:
I started a thread about this tournament in the WJC forum ( Link ). I figured that would be the best place for it but so far nobody has had much to say. If you get the chance, it would be nice to hear some first hand accounts from the games whf. Thanks for the pictures as well.

Just saw Atlantic v. Quebec in the opener. Interesting game. The two players who really stood out for the Atlantic team (which won 7-4) were Daniel Ryder (2 goals and an assist, I think) and whoever's wearing no. 2 for the team. Ryder's feet were always moving, his positional play was very good, he was physical, showed good offensive skills and above average speed.

The guy wearing no. 2 is a solid d-man with an above average sense of how and when to take the body. Liked his game a lot. Seems to have good size for his age (my guess would be 6-1 185 or so) and skates well.

Terrible officiating, and Quebec looked really sloppy for much of the game. Two of their goals came on 5 on 3 powerplays during an unbelievable string of penalties in the first period.

I'm looking forward to seeing a couple of more games and will catch the Gold medal game for sure.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
JV said:
Just saw Atlantic v. Quebec in the opener. Interesting game. The two players who really stood out for the Atlantic team (which won 7-4) were Daniel Ryder (2 goals and an assist, I think) and whoever's wearing no. 2 for the team. Ryder's feet were always moving, his positional play was very good, he was physical, showed good offensive skills and above average speed.

The guy wearing no. 2 is a solid d-man with an above average sense of how and when to take the body. Liked his game a lot. Seems to have good size for his age (my guess would be 6-1 185 or so) and skates well.

Terrible officiating, and Quebec looked really sloppy for much of the game. Two of their goals came on 5 on 3 powerplays during an unbelievable string of penalties in the first period.

I'm looking forward to seeing a couple of more games and will catch the Gold medal game for sure.

#2 is Luc Bourdon. Should be a 1st rounder in 2005 NHL draft.

How did #18 on Team Atlantic look? Justin Saulnier. He had 2 goals 3 assists.

JV

Feb 12, 2003
na
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
#2 is Luc Bourdon. Should be a 1st rounder in 2005 NHL draft.

How did #18 on Team Atlantic look? Justin Saulnier. He had 2 goals 3 assists.

Well, I think he played on the same line as Ryder. They both had excellent games, but I'd have to give the edge to Ryder, who seemed to make something happen every time he touched the puck. If I remember correctly, Saulnier scored the 7th goal, on a weird 2 or 3 on 1 that ended with him steaming in on the goaltender all alone. He made a major league move (two fakes, I think) and came back to his forehand. Made it look real easy, in top gear.

Last edited:

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
JV said:
Well, I think he played on the same line as Ryder. They both had excellent games, but I'd have to give the edge to Ryder, who seemed to make something happen every time he touched the puck. If I remember correctly, Saulnier scored the 7th goal, on a weird 2 or 3 on 1 that ended with him steaming in on the goaltender all alone. He made a major league move (two fakes, I think) and came back to his forehand. Made it look real easy, in top gear.

Thanx. :)

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
Well, i have tickets for the entire event (package for mile one)..and i'm lovin it .
Atlantic got smoked by US 10-3 last night.
Penalties were again a lopsided affair where Atlantic had 10+..Ryder had Four.
There is one player on Slovakia that I think is a great player...Their Goalie-Awesome!!Looks like Hasek(In his prime)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad