U17 World Hockey Challenge Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steelerman

Dec 19, 2002
Manitoba
Visit site
Laituri said:
Whew. After the first games I feared the world was coming to an end, but now Finland seems to be getting their traditional trouncing after all.

I give them credit for showing up every year, I hope that they're getting something out of the experience. I think it's beneficial, even for the weaker teams to get a feel for what the game's like over here. Not sure whether anyone on this team (or the U-18 Finnish side at the Viking Cup) will crack the U-20 roster in the next couple of years (next two WJC are in North America) but it can't hurt to be familiar with the ice and the style of play.

Whawks33

Apr 1, 2002
Portland OR
Visit site
Steelerman said:
Here's the results from today's games:

Dec. 30, 2003

Pacific: Jerrid Sauer 1 G 1 A, Dustin Kohn 1 A (Star of the Game), Carey Price 21 SV

Finland: Joonas Koskinen 1 G, Jani Nieminen 25 SV (Star of the Game)

Thought Dustin Butler was in goal for this game. Thats what the game sheet says. (Was his birthday after all, he should at least get credit for the win!)

http://u17.leaguestat.com/en/leaguestat/game-report.php?game_id=11

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
It seems that the European teams have adjusted to the North American ice and play now. Team Finland hammered Team West 10-3 and Germany topped Team Atlantic 5-3.

On another note, the U.S. lost its first game of the tourney, falling 4-1 to Team Quebec.

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
Well, i have seen every game played at Mile One in the Tourney. This is a great tournament.

On Atlantic, I like Ryder, Bourdon and Mior
On USA, i like Kessel, Gerbe and there D are Strong
On Germany, Gawlik is a superb player
On Quebec, LAtendresse, Paquet and Levassuer
On Slovakia, their Goalie and MArcinko

Who is the best on Russia?

SIBIR

Dec 9, 2003
Berlin - Novosibirsk
GOBRUINS19 said:
Well, i have seen every game played at Mile One in the Tourney. This is a great tournament.

On Atlantic, I like Ryder, Bourdon and Mior
On USA, i like Kessel, Gerbe and there D are Strong
On Germany, Gawlik is a superb player
On Quebec, LAtendresse, Paquet and Levassuer
On Slovakia, their Goalie and MArcinko

Who is the best on Russia?

It should be Churilov (he has great numbers in the russian juniors leagues). He was the captain in the first games, but now not any more ... I assume he dissapointed the coaches ...:dunno:

Best defnseman: Anikeenko

Steelerman

Dec 19, 2002
Manitoba
Visit site
In regards to Churilov, he's considered to be a mid-to-late 1st rounder. Anikeenko is a top five pick in some circles (without seeing him play I have no idea if he's living up to it.

Steelerman

Dec 19, 2002
Manitoba
Visit site
I probably won't have time to post anything other than game results today from the last two days, but here's the scoring leaders up to today:

1 Andrew Cogliano Ontario 3 4 4 8 4
2 Justin Saulnier Atlantic 4 4 4 8 6
3 Gilbert Brule Pacific 4 5 2 7 4
4 Daniel Ryder Atlantic 4 4 3 7 10
5 Guillaume Latendresse Quebec 3 2 5 7 4
6 Richard Clune Ontario 3 1 6 7 2
7 Nathan Gerbe USA 4 4 2 6 2
8 Francis Charrette Quebec 3 3 3 6 4
9 Steve Downie Ontario 3 3 3 6 4
10 Jean-Philippe Paquet Quebec 3 3 3 6 0
11 Nick Foligno USA 4 3 3 6 0
12 Mikko Lehtonen Finland 4 3 2 5 0
13 Bryan Little Ontario 3 2 3 5 4
14 Brock Bradford Pacific 4 2 3 5 2
15 Jordan Clendenning Atlantic 4 2 3 5 2
16 Mikael Kurki Finland 4 1 4 5 4
17 Perttu Lindgren Finland 4 1 4 5 0
18 Geoff Walker Atlantic 4 1 4 5 6
19 Tomas Marcinko Slovakia 3 3 1 4 4
20 Egor Zharkov Russia 3 3 1 4 4

Steelerman

Dec 19, 2002
Manitoba
Visit site
Here are the last two day's results:

Dec. 31, 2003

GER 0 QUE 8
WST 5 ONT 6
FIN 3 RUS 5
ATL 6 SVK 4

Jan. 01 , 2004

PAC 5 ONT 5
QUE 4 USA 1
ATL 3 GER 5
WST 3 FIN 10

The current standings look like this:

Pool A
1 Quebec 3 2 1 0 0 16 8 4 pts.
2 USA 3 2 1 0 0 21 8 4 pts.
3 Atlantic 4 2 2 0 0 19 23 4 pts.
4 Slovakia 3 1 2 0 0 10 12 2 pts.
5 Germany 3 1 2 0 0 6 21 2 pts.

Pool B
1 Ontario 3 2 0 1 0 20 12 5 pts.
2 Russia 3 2 0 1 0 14 8 5 pts.
3 Pacific 3 1 0 2 0 17 10 4 pts.
4 Finland 4 1 3 0 0 16 23 2 pts.
5 Western 3 0 3 0 0 11 25 0 pts.

Today's games (two in progress):

Jan. 02 , 2004

USA vs GER (USA up 7-1 in second period)
PAC vs WST (Pacific up 3-1 in second period)
ONT vs RUS
QC vs SVK

Pool A looks cut and dry: Quebec needs no less than a tie against Slovakia to advance, the USA the same vs. Germany (although they've all but clinched a spot at this point). I think the first tie-breaker is head-to-head matchup, which means if Quebec and the USA are tied Quebec will take first place. (Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.)

Pool B is a mess with three teams unbeaten but with ties. Pacific has to win to have any chance of advancing and hope that Russia or Ontario loses. If Russia and Ontario tie, then I have no clue if it's goal difference or what will decide between the three teams. Will be an interesting night in St. John's...

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Steelerman said:
Pool A looks cut and dry: Quebec needs no less than a tie against Slovakia to advance, the USA the same vs. Germany (although they've all but clinched a spot at this point). I think the first tie-breaker is head-to-head matchup, which means if Quebec and the USA are tied Quebec will take first place. (Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.)

Pool B is a mess with three teams unbeaten but with ties. Pacific has to win to have any chance of advancing and hope that Russia or Ontario loses. If Russia and Ontario tie, then I have no clue if it's goal difference or what will decide between the three teams. Will be an interesting night in St. John's...
Do the top 2 teams from each Pool advance.

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
The round robin-its over

1st is Ontario
2nd is PAcific
-Ontario beat Russia 6-0
-Pacific beat western 7-2

in the other division
1st is USA
2nd is Quebec

-Quebec and Slovakia tied 4-4...It was 4-2 Slovakia with less than 35 seconds left and Quebec scored. Then with 15 sec left they scored again...I was so mad!!(Atlantic never made it)

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
GOBRUINS19 said:
The round robin-its over

1st is Ontario
2nd is PAcific
-Ontario beat Russia 6-0
-Pacific beat western 7-2

in the other division
1st is USA
2nd is Quebec

-Quebec and Slovakia tied 4-4...It was 4-2 Slovakia with less than 35 seconds left and Quebec scored. Then with 15 sec left they scored again...I was so mad!!(Atlantic never made it)
So the US plays the Pacific and Ontario plays Quebec.

Steelerman

Dec 19, 2002
Manitoba
Visit site
Thanks for the help there GOBRUINS19. Can't believe the Slovaks lost the lead that quickly. Shades of a game in Selkirk in the last tournament when Quebec scored with less than a second left to beat the Czechs in round-robin play (I think it was Steve Bernier who pulled it off).

The ninth place game is over: Western defeated Germany 7-5. Chris Durand scored four goals for Western (giving him six for the tournament). Christoph Gawlik and Thomas Pielmeier each scored twice for the Germans.

The fifth place game is in the 2nd period: score is tied 2-2 between Russia and Atlantic. The seventh place game is also in the 2nd period with Finland leading 5-0 over Slovakia.

Gotta give a call to the fans in Newfoundland. I see a lot of good crowds in the attendance figures. Attendance was 1500 for the ninth place game today, that's excellent for the two weakest teams in the tournament. Even the crowds in Glacier while they look small in comparison are actually very good in comparison to the Selkirk/Stonewall tournament two years ago.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
It will be an all Canadian final. Team Pacific downed the U.S. 7-4. This is somewhat shocking since many were saying this was the best U-17 team the U.S. has ever had, yet they lose two games to regional Canadian teams.

1987 must be a very strong and deep year for Canada. This bodes well for their continued success in their game of hockey.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
VOB said:
It will be an all Canadian final. Team Pacific downed the U.S. 7-4. This is somewhat shocking since many were saying this was the best U-17 team the U.S. has ever had, yet they lose two games to regional Canadian teams.

1987 must be a very strong and deep year for Canada. This bodes well for their continued success in their game of hockey.

I don't know what happend with this US team. They beat the Russians at thier first international tournament which is something past U17 teams have really had trouble doing. They had been on a bit of a losing streak before this but I thought they would use this tournament to break out of it. It does seem that by the third game they started having goaltending issues which surprises me because Frazee has been solid up until this tournament. They also didn't have problems generating shots (they had 30 in the second period of todays game against Quebec alone!) but they couldn't seem to burry them against the Canadian teams. Oh well, in spite of the poor results at this tournament I still trust those who say this team is one of the most talented in years. They'll have more chances to prove themselves down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad