HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Some reports that Tata Martino has turned down USMNT job to stay with Atlanta

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA

Kyle Martino changes his mind, decides to run for U.S. Soccer president.

Also former player Paul Caliguiri announced his intentions to run as well.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
I honestly think there should be elections for the Technical Director as well, as they're the ones overseeing the soccer side of things.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
21 man roster announced for the Portugal friendly...

Ethan Horvath, Jesse Gonzalez, Bill Hamid;
Deandre Yedlin, John brooks, Matt Miazga, Cameron Carter-Vickers, Jorge Villafana, Eric Lichaj, Tim Ream
Kellyn Acosta, Tyler Adams, Ale Bedoya, Lynden Gooch, Weston McKennie, Kellyn Rowe, Danny Williams
Dom Dwyer, Juan Aguedelo, CJ Sapong, Josh Sargent

No Pulisic or Bobby Wood. Other notable omission was midfielder Jonathan Gonzalez, but Monterrey wanted to keep him around for the Liga MX playoffs. More than half this roster is 24 years old or younger. Also had to figure some players like Zach Steffen, Marky Delgado, Christian Roldan would have been called in if they weren't still in the MLS playoffs

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I like most of the call ups. Don’t really know why Bedoya is there as I don’t think USMNT should be calling up anyone who won’t play in Qatar World Cup but with Gonzalez unavailable, whatever. If I can think of any more omissions I’ll edit.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I like most of the call ups. Don’t really know why Bedoya is there as I don’t think USMNT should be calling up anyone who won’t play in Qatar World Cup but with Gonzalez unavailable, whatever. If I can think of any more omissions I’ll edit.

I mean, there are a few other guys I wouldn't hate seeing get a call up like Josh Perez but there's no one I'm really upset about missing out. Maybe Manneh

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I mean, there are a few other guys I wouldn't hate seeing get a call up like Josh Perez but there's no one I'm really upset about missing out. Maybe Manneh
I would have liked if Antonee Robinson got in actually as well. Brandon Vincent as well perhaps. They really need to figure out who can play LB.

Jordan Siebatcheu is lighting up Ligue 2. Haji Wright maybe should have gotten a look as well. Interesting case for Christian Ramirez too at striker. Younger than Dwyer and had a better season.

Glad from RSL had a really good season but USA is hypothetically deep at CB.

Ream, Lichaj, Villafana out, Robinson, Vincent, Glad in.

Agudelo, Dwyer, Sapong out, Siebatcheu, Wright, Ramirez in.

I’m good with that.

Bedoya, Williams out; Pulisic, Gonzalez, Roldan in when there are no obligations. Steffen may have earned a spot himself too. That’s 23 names right there that they can develop.

Last edited:

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
MFQDyYy.gif

I am not automatically against it.
US to get clown pounded by Portugal in a friendly on November 14. They don't even have a manager and they scheduled a match against Portugal.

This is Portugals roster for the two friendlies they have in November, it's very much a Germany confederation cup approach with a lot of young players getting action on good clubs while resting a majority of the starters.

DNtNZRbXkAABDAd.jpg:large

No one is going to get clown pounded.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Wanted to make this more concise. Here is a sample 23 man USMNT roster based off who was picked and who “should” have been. If they can stick with something like this as a base they are in relatively good shape. Older players like Nagbe, Altidore, etc., could sneak back in or younger players like Carleton, Weah, etc., can earn a spot but at least this is some direction:

USMNT
  1. Gonzalez GK (or Hamid)
  2. Yedlin DEF
  3. McKennie MID
  4. Acosta MID
  5. Gonzalez MID
  6. Brooks DEF
  7. Wright FWD
  8. Morris FWD
  9. Wood FWD
  10. Pulisic MID
  11. Gooch MID (or Lennon)
  12. Delgado MID (or Saief)
  13. Arriola MID
  14. Glad DEF
  15. Robinson DEF (or Vincent)
  16. Carter-Vickers DEF
  17. Roldan MID
  18. Adams MID
  19. Sargent FWD
  20. Miazga DEF
  21. Siebatcheu FWD
  22. Horvath GK
  23. Steffen GK
Could be worse.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
Last month, Mike Forde, the New York-based management consultant who worked as Allardyce's performance director at Bolton before spending six years as director of football operations at Chelsea, told ESPN FC: "Sam is a modern manager with a great ability to combine new technology and ideas with the basics of how to win games.

"His record speaks for itself. Everywhere he goes, he gets results. Sam is one of the best coaches to build a clear team identity and style. At national team level, this is key with limited time together as a squad.

:popcorn:

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
What does Sam Allardyce do for us? Would have been fine to hire him a year ago to qualify.

Now? The program needs major work, major change, and an injection of youth. That does not sound like a job for Sam Allardyce.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
What does Sam Allardyce do for us? Would have been fine to hire him a year ago to qualify.

Now? The program needs major work, major change, and an injection of youth. That does not sound like a job for Sam Allardyce.
I'm not saying I want him to be the manager. What I am saying is that he has a track record of getting results from poor quality, and that people should not write him off just because he manages the Sunderlands and Crystal Palaces. Because if we're being completely honest, that is who we are on the international stage.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I'm not saying I want him to be the manager. What I am saying is that he has a track record of getting results from poor quality, and that people should not write him off just because he manages the Sunderlands and Crystal Palaces. Because if we're being completely honest, that is who we are on the international stage.

Yea I hear. But we're not going to be relevant for awhile missing this WC, and that gives us time to take a step back and not claw victories out on friendlies. Instead of Palace or Sunderland, be Huddersfield or Southampton. Build up.

I also do not think a man who has shown he's very much pro pay to play in charge of our program when we need to kill that mindset is good.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Yea I hear. But we're not going to be relevant for awhile missing this WC, and that gives us time to take a step back and not claw victories out on friendlies. Instead of Palace or Sunderland, be Huddersfield or Southampton. Build up.

I also do not think a man who has shown he's very much pro pay to play in charge of our program when we need to kill that mindset is good.
I don't know much about the program's pipeline, but is the next wave of talent close/old enough that it makes sense to hire a manager for them? I.e., should they hire a manager more or less for the current group, or the teens?

Sam's bungs may not be the best influence, I do agree there.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
They need to hire a manager that is going to grow with the team. Allardyce just seems like a quick fix option when that doesn't fit our age bracket going forward. We have 4 between now and Qatar and to hire a big name manager like Allardyce doesn't seem right. Like someone mentioned earlier he might have been good to replace Klinnsman, but not now. The next manager will need to build the team around Pulisic and see how we can get the best out of him and the players around him. The issue is that guys like Jozy and Bradley are still young enough to still get called in, whether they deserve to or not because we don't have guys ready to take the reigns from them. Especially guys like Jozy. We have Wood, but we still don't know what we have in him yet. Sargent is obviously too young, but US soccer thinks highly of him. At least in Bradley's case we have guys like McKennie and J. Gonzalez coming up, but both are only 18. US soccer should be thinking long term for the next manager, a manger who can grow and adapt with the team.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA

For some reason they released the lineup a couple of hours before kickoff, but here it is. Formation seems like a 4-3-1-2? Or 4-1-2-1-2?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad