U.S. National Team Part VII

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well guess you can't blame Jurgen for this one. What a disaster. Everyone needs to GTFO from Gulati to Arena to Howard/Bradley/Altidore - this so-called vet 'leadership' that couldn't be bothered to give any effort against Costa Rica at home, or any effort tonight when all they needed was a darn draw.

I don't care about the phantom goal either, just take care of your own business and TIE the worst team in the Hex and you make it in third place without even the playoff. You know Mexico just loved laying down to screw us over, probably Costa Rica laid down too or at least played like they had nothing to play for (which they don't to be fair).

Guys...

Step away from the ledge.

The US just got pushed over the ledge. Or rather jumped off in a mass suicide. Tonight's an utter disaster for soccer in this country, it sets us back at least five years if not more, there's no sugar coating it. The next important game the US plays is what, 2020 maybe? When they struggle to make it out of the first round of qualifying this time?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Just saying he's way past his prime and this should be expected from most goalies at his age. It's ridiculous to think he'd still be high quality.

We're saying the same thing basically. I just can't believe we were left with the decision to choose a fat keeper, and that backfired pretty hard in the end.

Sep 19, 2008
The ball not being over the line doesn't matter. Don't fall behind 0-2 to T&T.

Are you aware the US didn't win a single game away from home? That was scathing. Mexico I don't care, they got they result they needed there. Honduras should have been more than 1-1. Wood saved their hides then. And then this. It's like you had so many bad games or disappointing games away from home it was pathetic. I know it's a tough pitch to play on, they keep them in terrible conditions, but the other team's playing on them too. f***ing tear it up

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Imagine your favorite team getting eliminated in the NHL playoffs in a hard fought game. And then this elimination magnifies that pain by one billion. Because this only happens every four years.

This is just grueling inconsolable pain. One could argue the World Cup watch parties were some of the best parts of watching the USMNT live. If you ever go to one of those things and see thousands of people packed into a park or a bar then you will understand the greatness, and the lack of that in 2018 is a huge dagger.

You're used to teams choking. This shouldn't phase you.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Really sucks for soccer as a sport in the States, though in fairness most of the players on the pitch probably deserved this considering their lack of respect and urgency.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
To be fair, it doesn’t set the US back 5 years unless they don’t fix things. If it’s Sunil and his clowns running stuff, it won’t help. But if they play the kids and focus on gutting the roster, they’ll be better for it. Heck, they should be more motivated now than ever. Get a young, hungry manager, play the heck out of the kids. Get rid of anyone over 26-27. Play everyone that will be around for 4 years from now. Get kids into clubs that can help them in Europe.

Reactions: G F O P

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
We're saying the same thing basically. I just can't believe we were left with the decision to choose a fat keeper, and that backfired pretty hard in the end.

I don't understand why other than name recognition Howard was the only choice, was Guzan hurt? I don't think he's that bad either.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
There really aren't any other quality keepers that were proven. Just like at most other positions, there was a major talent issue.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well that's pretty bad considering keeper is the ONLY position the US has even approached having world class players the last two decades from Keller (albeit he stunk in the WC) to Friedel to Howard.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Well that's pretty bad considering keeper is the ONLY position the US has even approached having world class players the last two decades from Keller (albeit he stunk in the WC) to Friedel to Howard.
Donovan, Dempsey, and Pulisic have been on that level in the wing/attacking-mid positions.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
The importance of 2019 cannot be understated. Everything USSoccer does between now and then is for the sole purpose of having a great 2019.

The next Gold Cup is that year. Win it and play in the 2021 Confederations Cup. (I'm assuming the CONCACAF qualification for the Confed Cup is unchanged. Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Don't win it and still have the Play-In (CONCACAF Cup it was called in 2015).

That can put the US on a good path. **** it up, like 2015, and well here we are again. Failing big time before the next WCQ cycle.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Honestly only the big soccer fans see 2019 as huge. You're not getting viewing parties in America for the Gold Cup OR the Confed Cup. It would be a nice stepping stone to 2022, but that's all I can really look at it as - it won't make a dent for the casual fan.

EC09

Cleveland Sports Fan
Jun 16, 2011
Youngstown, Ohio
Soccer will do just fine in the USA. MLS is expanding, with record attendance and ratings. The Premiere League on NBC is having record ratings. And the USWNT is the better group to support anyway.

USMNT could disband and soccer will still do great here.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The importance of 2019 cannot be understated. Everything USSoccer does between now and then is for the sole purpose of having a great 2019.

The next Gold Cup is that year. Win it and play in the 2021 Confederations Cup. (I'm assuming the CONCACAF qualification for the Confed Cup is unchanged. Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Don't win it and still have the Play-In (CONCACAF Cup it was called in 2015).

That can put the US on a good path. **** it up, like 2015, and well here we are again. Failing big time before the next WCQ cycle.

The Confed Cup is very likely going to be cancelled.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
You asked about the next important game. It's more than that.

And I don't care about whether or not the "casual fans" are into it. There is nothing the USMNT, and even USSoccer, can do about meaningful games for the men's team until 2019, unfortunately. As for 2018, Might snag a nice warmup friendly or two for WC teams which might make a good idea to put all the youth in as someone suggested above.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
So what does our new young lineup look like?

Wood/Morris
Nagbe-Pulisic-???
Acosta-Hyndman?
Villafana-Miazga?-Brooks-Yedlin
Gonzalez? Horvath?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I'm more worried about manager than lineup at this moment. This whole cycle showed the problem with having a bad manager whose methods are antiquated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad