U. of Minnesota - 1st team with 3 top ten picks?

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
As I was watching the U.of Minnesota beat Wisconsin yesterday, I was wondering if any college hockey team, or any junior team for that matter, ever had 3 NHL top ten draft picks as the Gophers have, with Johnson, Wheeler and Okposo. Anyone know of another?

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
I don't kno if this wat u were looking for but the Lewiston Maineiacs are the only junior team to have three players go in 1st round in three straight years. Picard (04) Bourret (05) Bernier (06) but I am thnking you want three 1 rounders playing on the seame team.

stugotz

Mar 17, 2004
2000 Calgary Hitmen
- Brent Krahn (9th pick in 00')
- Pavel Brendl (4th pick in 99')
- Kris Beech (7th pick in 99'

1998 Erie Otters
- Tim Connelly (5th pick in 99')
- Michael Rupp (9th pick in 98')
- Nikita Alexeev (8th pick in 00')

1987 Portland Winter Hawks
- Glen Wesley (3rd pick in 87')
- Dave Archibald (6th pick in 87')
- Dan Woodley (7th pick in 86')

...Thats as far back as I'll go.

But we might see Rimouski being added to this list as they drafted 4 first rounders in the Q draft, that doesnt mean it translates into 3 top 10 picks but who knows, the kids they got are talented, and 1 of them is already slated as a top pick; Patrice Cormier, Phillippe Cornet, Alexander Neron, Jordan Caron, not to mention next years class as well as future pick ups. But if another team achieves this feat my money is on Rimouski

Last edited:
Medicine Hat actually had 3 top 5 picks at the same time during the 87-88 season.
Trevor Linden (2nd '88)
Wayne McBean (4th '87)
Neil Brady (3rd '86)

And the 78-79 Portland Winter Hawks had at time or another during the season 5 different future top 10 picks dress for them. And the 77-78 Winter Hawks had 4 future top 10 picks play in the same game for them.

I think there are quite a few teams in the 70s and early 80s who have had 3 top 10 picks play for them actually, I just mentioned a couple of the more notable accomplishments.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
too bad kessel left for boston, and mueller chose WHL over gophers.

Or they woulda had 5, and been a nightmare for any opponent.

Gophers

Nov 23, 2004
Does anyone else think Okposo is the best Gopher out on the ice? The Badger D could not keep up with this kid...seemed to back away from him too.
He is an absolute monster with the puck. I don't know much about Sheppard, but I am starting to get upset that the Wild missed Okposo in the draft.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Does anyone else think Okposo is the best Gopher out on the ice? The Badger D could not keep up with this kid...seemed to back away from him too.
He is an absolute monster with the puck. I don't know much about Sheppard, but I am starting to get upset that the Wild missed Okposo in the draft.

they really didn't miss Okposo, he was picked before Minnesota had a chance, as an Islanders fan i am happy Gopher games are on Fox Sports North.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I agree Okposo looks great out there. At first I was more impressed with Baribal but lately Okposo has been the Gophers best player imo.

How about, is Minnesota the first team with 4 top 20 picks? (david fischer)

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I figured it had happened before - thx for the reply. It is still pretty exclusive company. If Kessel had hung around they would have had 4.

And yet they still can lose to Holy Cross. Just goes to show that talent alone doesn't win titles.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
too bad kessel left for boston, and mueller chose WHL over gophers.

Or they woulda had 5, and been a nightmare for any opponent.

Look at it this way, had Kessel stayed the Gophers wouldn't have had Barriball until next year and in case you haven't been paying attention, Barriball has been ripping it up for the Gophers so far. He's among the top scoring rookies in the country (along with Okposo).

Gopher_Nut

Dec 8, 2005
I agree Okposo looks great out there. At first I was more impressed with Baribal but lately Okposo has been the Gophers best player imo.

How about, is Minnesota the first team with 4 top 20 picks? (david fischer)

Agreed, Okposo is just a monster. He skates every shift as if it were his last..Tenacious in the corners and goes to the net. He back checks..etc. What I didn't know is what a great wrist shot he has. A few games back he buried one from 15 ft out in top far corner, it was a thing of beauty.

Who has stepped it up BIG time from last yr is Wheeler. I can't believe how he's taking cmd playing center on the top line!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Pusher

Who has stepped it up BIG time from last yr is Wheeler. I can't believe how he's taking cmd playing center on the top line!!!!!!!!!!
I always felt this was almost a make it or break it type year for Wheeler in terms of if he was going to justify the Coyotes controversial draft selection. So far so good, Blake's progression is right on track.

Here's a great article that relates to the topic in this thread.

Nov06Cover.jpg

http://www.usahockeymagazine.com/story.php?left_nav=1106&article=gogogophers&right_nav=normal

Gopher_Nut

Dec 8, 2005
I always felt this was almost a make it or break it type year for Wheeler in terms of if he was going to justify the Coyotes controversial draft selection. So far so good, Blake's progression is right on track.

Here's a great article that relates to the topic in this thread.

Nov06Cover.jpg

http://www.usahockeymagazine.com/story.php?left_nav=1106&article=gogogophers&right_nav=normal

You're right on in both counts. I too felt this is somewhat of a make/break yr (although he's still very young).

This article is one of the better I've read in a long while regarding my beloved Gophers!
:yo: :yo:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I agree - he looked great vs. the Badgers last weekend. Rare combo of size and skill.

Really? From what I saw he didn't seem very interested in playing hard. Maybe thats just deceptive because of his size and the slower pace of college hockey. Okposo looked like a total stud in comparison.

Lettuce

Nov 25, 2006
I've been to three gopher games this year and Okposo and Johnson both look amazing. I dont quite understand how Okposo is considered a power-forward, he looks more like a skill player to me.

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
Jim OBrien and Mike Carman each had two goals in last nights game against Michigan. As a 17 yo playing against kids up to 5 years older, here's hoping OBrien is arriving at the college game.

Mike Carman, IMO, was the best player on the team last night. He was absolutely unreal in solo efforts each resulting in two short handed goals. I"m still bummed that the Wild passed on him in the 3rd round of the draft this summer.

Jori

Jim OBrien and Mike Carman each had two goals in last nights game against Michigan. As a 17 yo playing against kids up to 5 years older, here's hoping OBrien is arriving at the college game.

Mike Carman, IMO, was the best player on the team last night. He was absolutely unreal in solo efforts each resulting in two short handed goals. I"m still bummed that the Wild passed on him in the 3rd round of the draft this summer.

As an Avs fan, I would have loved to have watched that game...five prospects in that contest (Hensick, Sauer, Peltier, Stoa and Carman).

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
I've been to three gopher games this year and Okposo and Johnson both look amazing. I dont quite understand how Okposo is considered a power-forward, he looks more like a skill player to me.

And how was Fischer for a guy who was playing high school hockey last season? I know he's a project, but do you think he can be a good one?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->