U-20 team Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
I think this team is special, very similar to Halifax team. Really well coached, but I want to praise some players, which carried the team along with Malkin.

1. Anton Khudobin. He does get a lot of heat for that terrible performance in the final game last year. Yes, he did not shine but the whole team came out flat. The gameplan was bad and of course the coach made a big mistake not putting Ovechkin and Malkin on the same line. Just imagine Bure and Fedorov playing on different lines. In this tournament he played quite well, made the key saves, rebounding is a problem of course but hey, Khabibulin is not much better in that department, just teach your defense to clear after the goalie.

2. Sergei Shirokov. This guy is great player. Goalscorer but also improved playmaker, some of the passes he made last night were really impressive. I can't believe he is not drafted, it is probably all the lies about him that were circulating about him - that he gained the weight and that his contract with CSKA is until 2010. He did not gain a bit of weight and his contract with CSKA ends next season.

3. Nikolai Lemtyugov. This guy is very, very good. He does have scoring touch, he plays good defence, gets under opponent's skin, has attitude of Ovechkin. He will never give and plays like a true warrior. Glad to have him

4. Emelin. Wow, now I see what some Montreal scouts were talking about, he is a real deal. Good D with very good O. Overall I see a national team career top 6 D guy. Lucky Montreal.

5. Kulemin. This guy has a touch around the net. Both goals he scored last night showed that this guy has an excellent scoring touch around the net. I was first surprised why he is on the first line but now understand that it is a perfect combination when Malkin can find him near the net or he can create himself when Malkin gets double teamed.

You can yours below:

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
With the loss of Ovechkin, how can this team be more special than last years team. Do you think this years team could beat last years team?

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
ryz said:
With the loss of Ovechkin, how can this team be more special than last years team. Do you think this years team could beat last years team?

Yes, I truely do believe that this team is better than the last years team. The reason is depth and balance of this team. True, Ovechkin is incredible talent but I do not think he was used effectively. If you watched last years games then you probably remember how team Russia played more one on one hockey and it does not really work when you play against top teams. This yeat's team has unbelievable team puck movement. I don't remember it from last year.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
^^^ Thanks for that. I'm anticipating a great game tomorrow night. Should be lots of fun.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
ryz said:

Yeah...they're all a year older.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->