Tyutin or Komisarek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Kryoptix said:
to mizral(Jay Thompson) : you compare komisarek with Richardson .. but Komisarek is 1 billion time faster than Richardson and he's 25 pounds heavier... unless komisarek broke his both legs and foot .. i dont see nothing similar between Komisarek and Richardson.. you need to explain me this one...

Like Richardson, Komisarek is a big, mean defenseman who has mental issues. Richardson was about twice as mean & physical in his day than Komisarek has shown so far, regardless of giving up weight. Komisarek is faster than Luke though.

Really, I see them as very similar players. Richardson was drafted very high too (I believe 9th overall or something by the Leafs in the late 80's). Both tall, both physical, but have mental issues. I suspect Komisarek will follow a similar path as Richardson did.

db23

Jay Thompson said:
Like Richardson, Komisarek is a big, mean defenseman who has mental issues. Richardson was about twice as mean & physical in his day than Komisarek has shown so far, regardless of giving up weight. Komisarek is faster than Luke though.

Really, I see them as very similar players. Richardson was drafted very high too (I believe 9th overall or something by the Leafs in the late 80's). Both tall, both physical, but have mental issues. I suspect Komisarek will follow a similar path as Richardson did.

Well considering that Luke Richardson has played 1250 NHL games and is still active, I'll take that from Komisarek without complaint. Luke's "mental" problems couldn't have been all that problematic since he stepped into the NHL at 18 and is still playing 17 years later. But Komo has more offensive potential than Richardson exhibited over his career. As an example, the two top picks in this year's draft out of the EJHL, Shawn Weller and Rob Bellamy are forwards who are 18 and 19 years old respectively. Both scored 40 points in the league last season. When Mike played in the EJHL as a 15 turning 16 year old defenceman he scored 41 points.

At Michigan as a soph, Komo scored more points than Mike Van Ryn Jordan Leopold or John Michael-Liles in their sophomore seasons. Van Ryn, Leopold and Liles are all considered offensive PP QB types in the NHL. In the AHL he outscored Dan Hamhuis, Marc-Andre Bergeron, Carlo Colaiacovo, Tjutin and a lot of other "offensive" defensemen. He has done it at every level, and eventually he will do it in the NHL.

Last edited by a moderator:

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Jay Thompson said:
Tyutin so fast it'd make your head spin. I see Tyutin as a potential #1 man who can play in all situations but is primarily a shutdown man. I see Komisarek as a #4 with size a-la Luke Richardson but a bit quicker and less mean.

I've seen him play quite a bit. Even in Hamilton for the Bulldogs several times. Sorry Habs fans. I love some of your prospects (Perezhogin is going to be a big-time stud, suspension or not, and Higgins looks like a good guy too), but Komisarek will not be the guy you think he'll be. I simply don't think he's smart enough. Good toolset, not a good toolbox.

I disagree with you on every point you've made. First of all, I have seen no evidence that Komisarek has "mental issues". I guess I'm not sure if you are trying to say he has emotional problems or simply does not play a smart game. As I stated before, I have seen no evidence of any "mental issues" or emotional problems. In fact, he seems to have a good head on his shoulders. I also think that while he makes mistakes under pressure at times, we have seen steady improvement in that area over the last few years. You have to consider the fact that he started playing the game at an age later than most, something that everybody knew on draft day. I fully expect he will continue to improve his hockey IQ as he progresses. I think that takes care of the "mental issues" portion of your argument.

I don't really like the Luke Richardson comparison, different leagues, different time periods and different situations. Also, as has already been noted, Komisarek is a better skater already. I don't think that Richardson was any meaner than Komisarek, I just think that Komisarek picks his spots more. The focus of Komisarek's game right now is to play well positionally and limit the number of penalties and mistakes he makes while learning how to play the NHL game. I really believe that Komisarek has shown steady improvement in recent years, as expected. I think he will keep improving for the next 5 or 6 years. He is a big player, he is a defenseman and he played in the NCAA. Generally big players take longer to develop, defensemen take longer to and college players take longer to develop. To me these things suggest that Komisarek isn't even close to being a finished product and he is already a legitimate NHL defender, beating out a vet like Lefebvre for playing time last year in the playoffs.

Tyutin has his own set of credentials and chosing between them is very difficult. Tyutin should arrive more quickly than Komisarek, he is more polished. But in time it would not surprise me if Komisarek became the better d-man.

db23

If you look at the 1987 draft that Richardson was a part of, a handful of smaller skilled defenders were drafted around him like Wayne McBean, Chris Joseph, Bryan Fogarty and Yves Racine. They all faded away a lot sooner. Richardson, Stephane Quintal, Glen Wesley, Bryan Marchement, the "defensive" defensemen had the best careers among the top group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->