Value of: Tyson Barrie/Ryan Ellis to Edmonton

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
One year ago the Avs had a pathetic defensive core. Now, its one of the best young d-cores in the league, with up and coming players like Girard, Makar, and Timmins, Zadorov, and Meloche. They are extra stacked in the right side: Johnson, Timmins, Meloche, and Makar are all right-handed. Despite having a career year, Barrie could be expendable. What would the price be for Barrie?

Ryan Ellis is another RHD I would be interested in, as the preds also have prospects that could make him expendable. He could be a great fit on the Oilers as well.

I think it would be a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and a couple prospects. How about:
9th Overall, 2019 2nd, NYI 3rd 2019, Tyler Benson, Ethan Bear.

Last edited:
Reactions: BHD

TMLeafs18

Aug 7, 2015
Canada
I think Colorado waits a bit before trading Barrie. Although his value has never been higher because he just had a huge year for them. They still don’t really know exactly what they have with those young guys. Not wise to get rid of a known asset until you know for sure one of those guys can step up.

Both these players have huge value. I would assume a package of pool party + your 1st would get it started not sure what else would have to be added

Reactions: Burnaby Joe

Phoicon

Take these broken wings and learn to fly again.
Jan 26, 2018
Copenhagen
Probably will have to revolve around 19 1st rounder + top prospect. Always going to be a pit of an overpayment if you trade to escape a bad situation.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
I’ve been a fan of Barrie to Edmonton for awhile since I want to flip whatever the avs could get + other futures for a true #1D, as I still don’t think the avs have that guy in the system (Makar and Timmins could get there but both are far from guaranteed).

Looking at Barrie’s production, it would cost a lot, he just had an offensive season better than any oilers dman since Coffey, which was 30 years ago. He would’ve easily broken 60 points if healthy and had the highest ppg of any dman not named Karlsson. He fills their biggest need as a puckmoving RHD, he was one of the most productive power play dmen in the league this year (the oilers pp was terrible), he’s a western Canadian guy, and the oilers have been in on him for years if you believe the rumours. He’s also signed to a great deal for two more seasons after this one.

All that being said he does have his warts defensively, but the guys a point producing machine and that holds a lot of value, he’s basically hit 50 points three times (1 season of 49 in 78 games) and has been as consistent offensively the last 5 years as anybody. He would’ve been the oilers third highest scorer this year in both actual production and ppg.

For me it starts with the 9th overall, with another big piece being added (2019 1st, Yamamoto). Looking at the Stepan trade (7th + former 1st rounder in DeAngelo), and the Hamonic trade (1st + two 2nds) of last year give a good indication of Barrie’s value (he should have more value than both). A Deal around Klefbom+ Could also work. Like I said for me I want to flip the oilers assets (plus Colorado assets) for a better dman, so the actual assets themselves don’t matter as much to me, they would matter more to The Ottawa (Karlsson), LA (Doughty), or Arizona (OEL) markets that I would be trying to flip the assets to. Who knows if those dmen are even available, but’s that’s what I’d try to do if I was Sakic.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I think the Oilers should acquire the second highest scoring defenseman in the league for draft picks and B prospects, certainly won’t cost anything off the main roster.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If we’d been bad this year, I could see Barrie getting traded. But with the season we had and Makar headed back to Umass next year, I don’t expect Barrie to be on the block this offseason. It’s going to take more that draft picks and b prospects to get him right now.

Reactions: Lemonlimey and zar

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
oilers fans think barrie + ? ( maybe compher?) for drai
Or Barrie + jost for drai + klef

would not consider trading Barrie for anything else on that roster

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Barrie won't be traded this off season. Makar isn't ready for the NHL, guys from minor junior leagues typically need some extra time in college and then AHL.

Reactions: zar and TrentonF

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
Well, Draisaitl wouldn't be available for Barrie. We are talking Karlsson territory. That is how valued Draisaitl is to the fans, the team, and management.
Fair enough, but Barrie won’t be traded for scraps either he is huge part of our team and more importantly this new culture Sakic is trying to introduce

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
This is probably not the best offseason to try to get Barrie, dude just had one of the best seasons of his career and filled in admirably as the Avs #1 D when EJ went down twice. Barrie's value is sky high right now.

That said, the Avs will have to do something about the Seattle expansion. EJ, Barrie, Z and Girard will all need to be protected. Sakic could go 4/4 but I think there's more than 4 forwards he's want to protect.

Even if he was available I doubt Sakic is eyeing futures anymore after the ROR and Duchene trades. Trading Barrie leaves a hole in the roster, you don't do that unless you're filling another hole in your roster (i.e. top 6 forward). I think there are a handful of teams that could beat your package by offering an established roster player +.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I think the Oilers should acquire the second highest scoring defenseman in the league for draft picks and B prospects, certainly won’t cost anything off the main roster.

This is all that needs to be said. Additionally take into account where the Avs are currently at....nope.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
I think Barrie is exactly what the Oilers need. I don’t think he’ll be traded until next summer, if he’s traded at all. I hope we can keep him around longer, but I think he’ll price himself out of Colorado.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
One year ago the Avs had a pathetic defensive core. Now, its one of the best young d-cores in the league, with up and coming players like Girard, Makar, and Timmins, Zadorov, and Meloche. They are extra stacked in the right side: Johnson, Timmins, Meloche, and Makar are all right-handed. Despite having a career year, Barrie could be expendable. What would the price be for Barrie?

Ryan Ellis is another RHD I would be interested in, as the preds also have prospects that could make him expendable. He could be a great fit on the Oilers as well.

I think it would be a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and a couple prospects. How about:
9th Overall, 2019 2nd, NYI 3rd 2019, Tyler Benson, Ethan Bear.

The only way I'd trade Barrie is in a 1 for 1 hockey trade, or doing Barrie+ for an upgrade. Colorado doesn't need to anymore quality for quantity trades.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Avs asking price for Barrie will be too great.. rightfully so after the season he just had.

Those mentioning Draisaitl are dreaming though.

Not sure why, but there seems to be one or two Oiler posters running around these boards making trade offers for all of these players who just had career years then offering players on the Oilers who's trade value would be low right now (well at least here on HF anyways) like, Klefbom, Puljujarvi and then dangling Yamamoto, Bear and our 9OA in as well.

If the Oilers plan on keeping Drai and McD then Oilers can ill afford to give up very many, if any, cost controlled assets. Also, the Oilers would be foolish to make any significant trade after the year they just had.... staying with the current roster, they shouldn't be as bad as they were last year. I don't think they will be as good as they were a couple years ago either. A few coaching changes... like all of them... and a few minor tweaks and they should be a bubble team. If their special teams were even average this year and they had an average number of PP-for, they would have been close to the playoffs. Yeah, a lot of "ifs" but not unrealistic ones. I mean... our coaching staff thought keeping Mark Letestu n the #1PP unit for 75% of the year was a good idea.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
It would be a steep price for both but I don't think either NSH or COL has any interest in moving those players unless you absolutely blow the doors off

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Preds are looking to compete now. Nothing in the OP helps them do that at the significant cost of Ellis.

? There were already a number of Preds fans who said before that 9th OV for Ellis made a lot of sense for them given he is a free agent next summer and they still have 8,000 good defensive prospects to fill the void.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Ellis is a ufa next year so I can’t see them letting him go for nothing.
The big thing is how much will Ellis’ next contract will be as EDM can’t afford over 6 mil.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
? There were already a number of Preds fans who said before that 9th OV for Ellis made a lot of sense for them given he is a free agent next summer and they still have 8,000 good defensive prospects to fill the void.
That would be surprising. None of the Preds D prospects are ready to make the jump and Ellis, though a UFA after next season and deserving of a raise, should still be easy to fit under the cap.

Weast

May 16, 2011
I think something around Barrie and Pool Party could be interesting, with that being said like a couple guys said already we would be more likely to move him next offseason than this one

Reactions: vancityluongo

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I think something around Barrie and Pool Party could be interesting, with that being said like a couple guys said already we would be more likely to move him next offseason than this one

That would be a horrible trade for the Avs. Puljujarvi has massive question marks surrounding him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->