Player Discussion Tyler Vesel (signed to 1-year contract)

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yup. But 4 of the first 5 have been signed and you'd think Skinner is certain to be signed after his run these playoffs.
I really haven't followed PC's pick history, is this something he always does? I mean at the end of the day you could mask things by just signing guys.

Looks good when all your picks are signed, but does it really mean anything?

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I really haven't followed PC's pick history, is this something he always does? I mean at the end of the day you could mask things by just signing guys.

I dunno, that seems rather far fetched to me, and counter-productive to boot. Wasting valuable contract spots on poorly performing picks seems silly. Not only are you not fooling anyone, you're only making your own job harder.

You'd think that Niemelainen would've been signed by now if 'masking' bad picks was a motivator.

And objectively speaking, I'd say the 2017 batch that have already been signed are all worthy of their contracts thus far. I don't see anyone that stands out as undeserving.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I dunno, that seems rather far fetched to me, and counter-productive to boot. Wasting valuable contract spots on poorly performing picks seems silly. Not only are you not fooling anyone, you're only making your own job harder.

You'd think that Niemelainen would've been signed by now if 'masking' bad picks was a motivator.

And objectively speaking, I'd say the 2017 batch that have already been signed are all worthy of their contracts thus far. I don't see anyone that stands out as undeserving.
I just don't think that them being signed is any sort of signal that it was a good draft. I really don't know enough to say if a guy deserves a contract or not, but I'm not ready to say that them being signed means much to me.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I just don't think that them being signed is any sort of signal that it was a good draft. I really don't know enough to say if a guy deserves a contract or not, but I'm not ready to say that them being signed means much to me.

Fair enough. It's all a matter of perspective anyway.

All it means to me when I see the 2017 picks getting signed is that they're tracking well so far, or at least enough that the org deems them worthy of further investment of time and money. The call on whether or not the draft was 'good' will come a couple years down the line.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

Chiarelli must be the luckiest guy in the world then. Playoffs in 7 out of 9 seasons with the Bruins. Two cup appearances and one cup win. All with signing guys to contracts to make himself look good rather than signing guys who have developed to the point where they earned contracts.

It just seems like people are looking for any excuse to cast the guy in a negative light.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Fair enough. It's all a matter of perspective anyway.

All it means to me when I see the 2017 picks getting signed is that they're tracking well so far, or at least enough that the org deems them worthy of further investment of time and money. The call on whether or not the draft was 'good' will come a couple years down the line.
The ironic part for me is according to these boards PC is a clown, so should we really be happy that he is signing these guys? Odds are they are garbage then.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Then why are people making them up? Saying Chia signed draft choices to undeserved contracts just to make himself look better is full on conspiracy theory level insanity.

I don't think Joe actually thinks that. He's just saying if a person wanted to they could.

It's true, it doesn't necessary mean much if the evaluator has it wrong, and we do have evidence that Chia tends to overvalue and overpay some players. But considering the actual players, I think each has shown enough to consider signing them early which is a positive.

From a cap perspective, there is a small advantage to signing them early as they burn some signing bonus money in their slide years that don't count towards the cap, while dropping their cap value in their playing years. It also ultimately drops the value of their final year for qualifying offer purposes, but that's really less than pennies on the dollar (or less than $100K per year of slide).

Nurse is an example of this. He collected two years of signing bonus money of $92.5K per year, which dropped his actual salaries in year 2 and 3 by $92.5K each and his cap hit dropped to $863.3K instead of $925K. This also makes his qualifying offer for next year about $875K instead of $970K. Doesn't matter in Nurse's case as he won't take the qualifying offer, but many players would.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Chiarelli must be the luckiest guy in the world then. Playoffs in 7 out of 9 seasons with the Bruins. Two cup appearances and one cup win. All with signing guys to contracts to make himself look good rather than signing guys who have developed to the point where they earned contracts.

It just seems like people are looking for any excuse to cast the guy in a negative light.
Never really said that but thanks for trying. Just said it really means nothing that he signed a bunch of guys from a draft class.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Never really said that but thanks for trying. Just said it really means nothing that he signed a bunch of guys from a draft class.

I'm just saying that signing the five picks to contracts is a sign of doing something right. Chalking it up to a bad thing, or changing that to a nothing move in a later post, is just slagging on Chia for the sake of it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'm just saying that signing the five picks to contracts is a sign of doing something right. Chalking it up to a bad thing, or changing that to a nothing move in a later post, is just slagging on Chia for the sake of it.
We have had a ton of guys in the Lowe, MacT, Tambo era that looked good as well. Until they show us results at the NHL level I'm not getting too excited.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I don't think the Oilers ever signed five picks to contracts from that era.

2002 - Niinimaki, JDD, Stoll, Greene, and Raduske. They also signed Fisher and Luoma later in that draft. But most of them weren't signed in the Draft+1 year and they had 15 picks overall that year.

also:
2004-5 of the top 6 signed.
2003 they signed 4 of the top 5 and 7 overall. The best one was a late round singing Brodziak, otherwise there was Pou/JFJ/Storts/McDonald and change.
2001 they also signed 4 of their top 5 picks, and 7 guys overall. The best two were Hemsky and Markannen.
1999 they did 4 of the top 5.
etc.

It wasn't that uncommon to sign the bulk of the picks in that era, it just wasn't in their Draft +1 year and most just didn't pan out.

Still don't mind that Chia is signing them though, but it is just part of his job.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
It wasn't that uncommon to sign the bulk of the picks in that era, it just wasn't in their Draft +1 year and most just didn't pan out.

Still don't mind that Chia is signing them though, but it is just part of his job.

My bad for falling for the KLowe era time period. Change it to since the start of the decade of darkness and you still don't have an example.

It is part of Chiarell's job, but apparently a part of the job that Tambo and MacT never grasped. Rebuilding the prospect pool is what a good GM does.

Not to open a whole other can of worms, but I'm on record saying that KLowe was a good GM. Just a horrible and arrogant POHO.

Reactions: bone

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
My bad for falling for the KLowe era time period. Change it to since the start of the decade of darkness and you still don't have an example.

It is part of Chiarell's job, but apparently a part of the job that Tambo and MacT never grasped. Rebuilding the prospect pool is what a good GM does.

Not to open a whole other can of worms, but I'm on record saying that KLowe was a good GM. Just a horrible and arrogant POHO.

I can agree with you on both parts here. Part of it could be my bad as well, as in another forum someone pointed to Oilers drafting being mid-pack from 94-13, so I'm looking at that whole period recently, whereas thinking on it more, I think it's understood your focus is moreso DoD.

Reactions: shoop

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
Been looking forward to Vesel coming over, good shot at being a bottom 6 player for us down the road, lets see what he can do in the AHL next year

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

Yes.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013

2009- signed 5
2010- signed 8
2011- signed 6
2012- signed 4
2013- signed 6
2014- signed 3

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Then why are people making them up? Saying Chia signed draft choices to undeserved contracts just to make himself look better is full on conspiracy theory level insanity.
I don't know. Ask them?

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
2002 - Niinimaki, JDD, Stoll, Greene, and Raduske. They also signed Fisher and Luoma later in that draft. But most of them weren't signed in the Draft+1 year and they had 15 picks overall that year.

also:
2004-5 of the top 6 signed.
2003 they signed 4 of the top 5 and 7 overall. The best one was a late round singing Brodziak, otherwise there was Pou/JFJ/Storts/McDonald and change.
2001 they also signed 4 of their top 5 picks, and 7 guys overall. The best two were Hemsky and Markannen.
1999 they did 4 of the top 5.
etc.

Niinimaki... I would love to read/watch/learn the story behind that pick. It baffled everyone on the planet, except for the clowns who made it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->