Tyler Plante

dieseleric

Aug 17, 2006
Just wondering what your thoughts are on the Panther's goaltending prospect. Hockey's Future has him as 6.5C, I personally think his potential is a little bit better. The thing that always impressed me about Plante is that he is a big game goalie, he was awesome through the WHL playoffs as a rookie and carried his team to a National Midget Championship the year before. Anyways what are your thoughts on him and predictions of how his career will turn out?

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Plante isn't really talked about here even though he is a pretty good goaltending prospect. He played on a really bad Wheats team last year, so thats why his stats dipped. I think in one game he allowed 2 goals and made 60 saves or something like that.

He apparently has two major flaws to his game though. His rebound control is something that is going to be a problem unless he improves it. The other thing that may hold him back is his temperament. Gets quite easily frustrated and if he lets in a weak goal he will have that on his mind for awhile. At Canada's summer camp this year he got very frustrated, which lead to him being taken out of the game.

He and Shantz are the best two G prospects we have. Shantz has exactly the same rating, even though his upsides IMO are lower. Plante is the better prospect and could become a solid #1. With no Luongo, Plante may eventually play for Florida. One problem may be that as Florida share Rochester, Plante may have to be loaned out. Shantz will start in the ECHL, and as he is older he is the more ready. Not sure on the Sabres goaltending prospects, but Plante, Shantz, Pelts and the Sabres prospects will all be fighting for #1 AHL job down the line.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Plante IMO should be a touch higher then a 6.5 C rating...........he has a good all around game and has real good reflexes.........he does have troubles with rebounds at times and tends to go down a little early from time to time.

He did play on a bad WK team last season and had a brutal first half of the season.......however he came back very strong in the 2nd half of the season and showed more of what he was in his rookie year and in his last year of AAA midget.

He does have a flaw with letting in a bad goal from time to time and when he does he tends to get down on himself and before you know it 2 more goals are in the net.........something that hes been working on but not something that is easily fixed.

He is not good at handling the puck and this is maybe not a downside to his game but def. is not an upside either.

Plante should have a better team and better defence in front of him this season and should get a better shot at showing how good he really is.........one positive is that he is a workhorse.........he plays a TON.

dieseleric

Aug 17, 2006
I agree with both of you on Plante's faults. I think he can improve his rebound control...I remember coming out of midget, lots of scouts weren't impressed by his lateral movement, but he improved that a lot in the last 2 years. Plante also does have some temperment problems, but I think those are also improving, and hopefully will improve as he matures. Maybe this is a bit of stretch, but he could be a darkhorse for the World Junior team. He would likely be the back-up. Does anyone know how he played at the summer camp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->