Prospect Info: Tyler Kleven (D) at 44th Overall (Sens traded up)

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The thing with Bran will likely come down to the fact that we want to play Kleven on the left on the third pairing. Bran can play on the right side, but we’ll probably prefer playing an RD instead of we can.

He is simply the odd man out here. Ideally we bring in two RD this off season and then JBD can cheaply occupy the 7th spot.

We really do want to get more difficult to play against on D, and like it or not Bran doesn’t bring that quality, and the other guys who also don’t bring that quality are better than he is at what they do bring, and/or are also likely to be moved.

Its just not a long term fit.

Reactions: aragorn

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
What does Brannstrom bring to this roster that we don’t already have?

Our team is sorely lacking in physicality, good penalty killers and guys that can clear the front of their net. At some point to add that dimension you have to remove some of what you have in excess.
Yes, that's why you remove Chychrun and replace him with a physical top 4 RD.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Yes, that's why you remove Chychrun and replace him with a physical top 4 RD.
I don’t think one change moves the needle. Our defence is too easy to play against as a whole and Brannstrom is guilty of that.

I’m not sure Kleven is NHL ready but I sort of just lean towards him needing games to get used to the speed and skill at this level. He’s played 3 years in college post-draft, a year in Belleville and a handful of NHL games. At this point I think he gains the most from experience moreso than other areas of development so I’d like to see him on the roster next year.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I don’t think one change moves the needle. Our defence is too easy to play against as a whole and Brannstrom is guilty of that.

I’m not sure Kleven is NHL ready but I sort of just lean towards him needing games to get used to the speed and skill at this level. He’s played 3 years in college post-draft, a year in Belleville and a handful of NHL games. At this point I think he gains the most from experience moreso than other areas of development so I’d like to see him on the roster next year.
Yes you add Kleven and a top 4RHD AND possibly a replacement for brannstrom.

Reactions: PlayOn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I thought he struggled more last night than he has lately but that's probably just the team laying an absolute egg.
D always look like they are struggling when the forwards aren't picking up their guys or back checking hard. That's not to say Kleven didn't have his own struggles but it compounds the issues.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Typically I like to over-marinate defencemen but I don't see how he's not on the opening night roster next season. If Brannstrom is on the way out I'd still like some competition for TK so he doesn't get complacent but he's proven he's more than capable of playing 3rd pairing minutes and this roster needs his size/snarl for the PK (and because the D core is quite soft in general).

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
JBD has played most of the yr & IMO he has graduated & will likely be on the roster full time next yr. IMO Brannstrom & likely Chychrun will get moved out & Hamonic likely gets bought out or is the 7th D next season. I would sign Shattenkirk RD for one or two yrs & draft Yakemchuk RD to eventually take his place in the top 4 or maybe JBD becomes good enough to play with Sanderson full time until Yakemchuk who has top 4 potential passes him. Kleven as a rookie will make mistakes next yr, but he has the potential to improve & be a very good 3rd pairing D who can move up when needed.

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - Shattenkirk/Yakemchuk
Kleven - JBD/Hamonic

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Typically I like to over-marinate defencemen but I don't see how he's not on the opening night roster next season. If Brannstrom is on the way out I'd still like some competition for TK so he doesn't get complacent but he's proven he's more than capable of playing 3rd pairing minutes and this roster needs his size/snarl for the PK (and because the D core is quite soft in general).
He's 22, he did a lot of his marinatimg in College.

Reactions: stempniaksen

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
He's 22, he did a lot of his marinatimg in College.

Three full seasons at NoDak definitely helped but in a perfect world I'd have hoped for more than 45 games in Belleville. I doubt he goes back now and I'm absolutely fine with it because he's ready.

I was a big proponent of getting Jake some games down there despite him coming in with the pedigree he did and he's proved he didn't need them so it could just be that I have an ultra conservative approach when it comes to developing defensemen.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Three full seasons at NoDak definitely helped but in a perfect world I'd have hoped for more than 45 games in Belleville. I doubt he goes back now and I'm absolutely fine with it because he's ready.

I was a big proponent of getting Jake some games down there despite him coming in with the pedigree he did and he's proved he didn't need them so it could just be that I have an ultra conservative approach when it comes to developing defensemen.
I don't think more time in Belleville would hurt Kleven, but I also think he's ready to learn at the NHL Level too, and can help the team while he does it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad