Signing(s): Tyler Chatwood to the Cubs (3 years, $38 million)

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
moneyball signing.

Chatwood has a 2.50 ERA on the road past 2 seasons away from pitcher hellhole that is coors, spin rate and analytics darling.

This year's Charlie Morton deal.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
\
Disagree, I think it’s overpayment for a guy that’s at best a #3.

12 million per year is good value for a 2-3 starter as a 27 year old free agent. guys like Brandon McCarthy, Edinson Volquez, Ian Kennedy, Phil Hughes, Scott Kazmir, Mike Leake, Homer Bailey (I could go on) etc. all have higher AAV's going into next year.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Yeah, what are you talking about? 13 mil for a guy that could be a solid number 3 is pretty great. Chatwood's been very good away from Coors so no reason to think he can't put up good numbers in Chicago as he should just be entering his prime.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Got way more money than I thought he would because of his durability and lack(closer to none) of control, good for him though.

Luckily for him, he goes to a team that also has a good infield defense, he needs it since he doesn’t miss any bats.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Newly signed Chicago Cubs starter Tyler Chatwood might have to rework his contract due to a bonus structure tied to Cy Young Award voting in 2018 and 2019.
Chatwood, 27, last week signed a three-year deal for $38 million that included an escalator provision calling for his 2020 salary to increase by $2 million if he received a single Cy Young vote next season. His salary for 2020 would increase by $4 million if he received at least one vote for the award in 2018 and 2019. The Baseball Writers Association of America, which votes on the award, pushed back on the parameters, as they could lead to a conflict of interest.

If the contract isn't changed, there's a chance the BBWAA would not allow Chatwood to be eligible for the Cy Young in the first two years of his deal.

Chatwood's deal with Cubs under scrutiny

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Chatwood got his first win in 2 months earlier this week and Cubs are looking for SP help thanks to his and Darvish struggles (Darvish now on DL)

Chatwood ERA is just a shade under 5

Cub fans and media have not been kind to Mr Chatwood lately in Chicago

I expect Cubs will look to get out of this deal in offseason and eat some $$$ to move him

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
moneyball signing.

Chatwood has a 2.50 ERA on the road past 2 seasons away from pitcher hellhole that is coors, spin rate and analytics darling.

This year's Charlie Morton deal.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Bob Richards

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad