Confirmed with Link: Ty Ronning signs ELC with Rangers

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Some context to his numbers: Vancouver is not a good offensive team. The only probable playoff team that scores less than Vancouver is Red Deer. Vancouver has 211 goals in 65 games. Ronning has been involved in approximately 37% of the team's goals and has scored 26% of them.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Some context to his numbers: Vancouver is not a good offensive team. The only probable playoff team that scores less than Vancouver is Red Deer. Vancouver has 211 goals in 65 games. Ronning has been involved in approximately 37% of the team's goals and has scored 26% of them.

Which is also important when providing context as to why he's hanging out, waiting for the outlet pass a lot more this season.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Those goals were damn impressive. The kid definitely seems to have talent.

Holy crap at that goal around the 1:10 mark. No way in hell that goal gets scored in the NHL, or even AHL, but it was pretty. I like how excited he gets when he scores too

I think he could be a really solid 3rd liner if he continues to work on his game. If not he'll fade away like the Michael St. Croix's and Christian Thomas' of the world

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Holy crap at that goal around the 1:10 mark. No way in hell that goal gets scored in the NHL, or even AHL, but it was pretty. I like how excited he gets when he scores too

I think he could be a really solid 3rd liner if he continues to work on his game. If not he'll fade away like the Michael St. Croix's and Christian Thomas' of the world

I look at it this way - when's the last time we were this interested to at least see what a 6th or 7th rounder could do?

Fast? Hagelin?

If nothing else, he's worth taking a flyer on.

But, interestingly enough, the Rangers historically have surprising success with with those sixth round and later picks. Even during some of their darker eras, they've tended to find quality in those "forgotten" rounds.

So if Ronning turned into a legit contributor at the NHL level, it wouldn't be unprecedented for this organization.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
No. The ELC won't start until July 1st.

Correct, Cap Geek says it won't start until next season, which is good because assuming expansion comes into play, 2020's expansion draft would still be Ronning's 2nd Pro season (no slide rules apply since he is 20 right now)

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I guess this is why you acquire 7th rounders like the one in the Nash deal . May aswell take a shot . Ronning will Atleast get minutes in CT off the bat

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Even if he turns out to be a Nigel Dawes type at the NHL level, you've gotta be happy with the pick. Anything more is a bonus from a 7th rounder.

Generally why I prefer taking shots on a guy like Ronning vs some plug. Ronning has some upside, even if he's an extreme long shot. A 7th round pick is a lottery pick. I'd rather take a 1/500 chance at $50,000 vs the 1/400 chance at $500.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I guess this is why you acquire 7th rounders like the one in the Nash deal . May aswell take a shot . Ronning will Atleast get minutes in CT off the bat

The Rangers seems to do better than most with those later picks. More than a few guys who didn’t necessarily have amazing NHL careers, still had solid pro careers.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The Rangers seems to do better than most with those later picks. More than a few guys who didn’t necessarily have amazing NHL careers, still had solid pro careers.

I tend to think that someone like Ronning will be a long-time AHLer with that small chance for NHL upside. I could see him having a Jason Dawe-like career. A really good guy for a NHL team's minor leagues. Hell, if he could hit 50 points in the NHL like Dawe did at one point, the pick would be a humongous home run.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
I'm glad. Have wanted them to sign Ronning for a while now.

Can this guy become our own Ondrej Kase(not exactly saying play-style wise, he's probably more like a Gallagher type there, it seems)? I can only unrealistically hope. It's a long shot.

Last edited:

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Generally why I prefer taking shots on a guy like Ronning vs some plug. Ronning has some upside, even if he's an extreme long shot. A 7th round pick is a lottery pick. I'd rather take a 1/500 chance at $50,000 vs the 1/400 chance at $500.

I couldn't agree more.

When you take these late round swings you sometimes find diamonds in the rough. Lundqvist, Benn, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, etc.

Not saying Ronning will be that, but even if you get a bottom-6 forward out of a 6th rounder like Fast and Hagelin were, you're getting an incredible return on a pick that could easily been a throw-in as part of a trade.

Just thank god he wasn't a swing in an earlier round like Sather has done in the past.

Reactions: Brent Burns Beard

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I like this kid a lot. Rare RH shot in the org.

Skill and moxy is high, good character and high compete level.

Lets see him in HFD. IMO he's got to bulk up before making an impact at the pros.

Good thing He's a good skater, he'll get some openings and chances. If he can finish at the pro level, then he legitimately moves up the Peking order.

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
Really want him to do well, and presumed he'd be getting a contract given the season he's having. Would be some story if he makes the dance.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Just added to HFD. He's heading there now. Four games left including tonight, not sure if he will make it for todays game.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah I noticed he didn't play the other night. I don't know--they have a reserve list and they have an injured reserve list. I honestly don't know the difference. We'll see.

I've noticed they list players as "scratched" but not necessarily as healthy scratches in leagues like the AHL and ECHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->