Two brothers try to get into the heads of NHL GMs (2007 edition)...

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
My brother (wetcoastwhale) and I did a mock draft last year, and wanted to do another one this year by both completing a top30 on our own and then scrapping it out over all the picks we disagree on. We find that this gives the picks less of a bias (or at least it is kept in check through give-and-take) and makes the whole process less of a mock, and more of a big reasoned-out argument as to who will go where. We are shooting for about 25% accuracy.

:hawks 1.
JVR (other prospects in play: Turris, Kane)
Let me just say that this top pick was hotly contested (I'm quite sure it is Turris going here... Chicago has to be happy the way another Canadian kid has been developing in college). Anyway, to get my big brother to shut his pie-hole, I agreed to go along with this. It is very much a possibility however as JVR has the size and skill to turn into a Vanek type dangler/sniper.

:flyers 2.
Kane
We both have Kane going here... #1 talent in 2nd rounder body. Flyers continue to embrace the "new" NHL (see Giroux pick last year) without thinking twice on this one. We also see the possibility that the Flyers trade up to #1 to make sure this happens.

:coyotes 3.
Voracek (other prospects in play: JVR, Cherapanov)
Yotes have done well lately dipping into the CHL pool and this could very well happen again with Voracek. This franchise could/should be built around Meuller and he needs a future wingman, enter one of the two Euro boys (or JVR if available). According to our calculations this will be Voracek to the Desert Dogs. Keep in mind new managment isn't going to want to wait on a project to turn things around and Voracek is a few months-to-one year away from the show.

:kings traded to :edmonton 4.
Turris (other prospects in play:LA keeping w Alzner or Cherepanov)
Edmonton can't believe Turris is still on the board (and neither can I) so they package another 1st with their 6th to grab 4th and snap up the Burnaby boy. If LA keeps the pick we think they are targeting the same guys we have at 6th... we'll get to that in a second....

:caps 5.
Alzner (other prospects in play: the russian)
I know, I know... how far can Cherapanov go? We know it makes sense to try to strike gold a 3rd time with the Russians... but we see the WHL-Caps connection hitting here with a team-building decision.

**Rest of the picks are coming 5 at a time... don't post till the come please**

Last edited:

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
6. :kings ---from--- :edmonton

Cherapanov
By our reasoning the Kings are willing to trade down 2 spots knowing that KT is a lock to go leaving them with either Alzner (for Johnson) or Cherapanov for Kopitar. The Kings have lots of skilled young forwards in the system, but don't want to pass over the chance to have an elite trigger wingman to work with Kopitar. Seems reasonable that the Russian could go before 6, but it also makes sens to see him slotted in right around here.

7. :cbj 7.
Ellerby
CBJ takes a gamble here that it all comes together for this smooth skating bashing Blazer. If Alzner manages to slip to 7 it would seem to be a more likely pick... but as it is we see one of Ellerby, Alzner, Plante or Shattenkirk going here --with our money being on Ellerby.

8. :bruins
Gagner
I (bring a Bruins fan) have a few gamble picks in mind here, but it makes sense to follow my brothers logic that --if Gagner is available at 8-- you move on that. Of course, in this draft I could see the Bruins moving down like in 03 (although that, obviously, was a mistake). Bruins are big on bloodlines and character, so it would seem that they will snatch Gagner if he is still sitting there at 8. ther possible picks; Esposito, Hammill, Perron, Couture.

**fwiw** I would not be surprised to see Boston grab Couture here --they have a history of taking first-rounders who have had injuries affect their year and ranking... even Lashoff was percieved to have dropped after a tough draft year battling mono, just as Couture did this year.

9. :blues

Hamill
Excuse the WHL bias, but (skating issues be damned) there is no way that Zach Hamill should drop. I was quite impressed with Hamill in every game I watched, and I am quite positive that leading the WHL in scoring as a draft-year player deserves more credit than he is currently getting. This would be a heck of a snag for St. Louis at this spot.

10. :panthers
Couture
Florida needs goaltending or defensive prospects more than they need another forward at this slot... so if they don't trade this pick to address either of those issues than we think they will not frolik into the land of the risky picks this year --rather they will go with Couture. Again, wouldn't be shocked to see this pick dealt either. We could also see a Dman (again, insert usual suspects names here) be taken at this slot.

Last edited:

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
11 :canes
Eller

We believe that Eller is the BPA at this slot, ahead of Esposito or Backlund, and a lot of teams will be hoping he falls to them. We have the 'Canes starting to restock their cupboard with a prospect with good size, speed, intelligence, and shot: the scouting reports are almost too good to be true.

12 :habs
Esposito

We have Espo sliding to les Habs: much has been made about his poor year, questionable work-ethic or laziness etc., but his speed and skill level could make him the best player to come out of this draft, if he finds a tool box to keep all the tools.

13 :leafs
Backlund

At one point Backlund was ranked as a top-5 pick, and although he has dropped in the rankings (due to injury, mostly) the buds would be foolish to pass on the big, talented two-way Swede, even if it drives Don Cherry nuts.

14 :avs
Sweatt

Sweatt would being something different to the prospect pool for the 'lanche: pure, unadalterated speed. The fastest player in the draft has NHL ready speed, and will be a mainstay of Colorado's PK and forecheck for years to come. This is a safe and worthwhile pick, even if his offensive game takes a while to develop.

15 :edmonton
Petrecki

Although Petrecki isn't going to be the PP wizard that Oiler fans are pining for, this big, quick, strong mean defensive D-man will be a crowd favourite in 3-4 years. We could also see Edmonton packaging this pick for some more immediate help for their D.

Last edited:

RightKinger

Apr 25, 2006
Los Angeles
The Kings have showed a ton of interest in Kyle Turris and most Kings fans are sure that he is number one in their rankings. They even invited Turris to meet with coach Marc Crawford at GM Place. The consensus with most Kings fans is that Lombardi will trade down and select a defensemen if Turris is OFF the board at #4. I'm 99% sure that they will select Turris if he is available at #4 and I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade up to get their man on draft day.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see the last sentence of you post until after I typed this.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
16 :flames from :ducks

Sutter

We have the Flames trading up 2 spots to take nephew Brandon, possibly after Burke makes some comment on his on-line blog about how he is eyeing the lanky (ie skinny) two-way centre for this pick. Sutter is a known commodity for Sutter, so Sutter takes Sutter.

17 :rangers

Repik

This talented Czech had a fabulous WHL playoffs and Memorial Cup (scoring the championship-winning goal) and is currently under-appreciated. He has decent size, good speed, a willingness to play physically and go into the high-contact areas, cycles well, has a good offensive potential and also kills penalties: he was a top-10 pick at the beginning of the year and we have NY seeing his potential.

18 :ducks from :flames

Gillies

The big and nasty get bigger and nastier. Gillies has the size, speed and disposition to fit in on the Ducks, who can be patient enough to let him find his offensive game (if it can be found).

19 :wild
McDonagh

It seems fitting that the Wild takes Minnesota's "Mr.Hockey". The Oilers could take Ryan earlier at # 15 if they decide to go with the more offensive option, but we have Minny getting great value at 19.

20 :pens
Perron

Perron is the winger the Pen's crave. Visions of Crosby and Perron frestyling around the offensive zone on the PP are dancing in our heads. If not Perron, perhaps Mayarov flying down Malkin's wing would suffice.

Last edited:

wetcoastwhale

Aug 12, 2005
SA
Good mock,but Chicago will pick Kane not JVR

Okay, I will give you my rational why Chicago might pick JVR, and then you can respond with an argument why Chicago might pick Kane.

Both JVR and Kane made Tallon's final 3 (if you believe him).
Both are in the top 3 of both the ISS and CSB final rankings.

JVR has had one of the hottest if not the hottest final stretches to this season: his U18 tournament was apparently dominant, he has made huge strides the past 6 months or so and momentum can't be discounted. He has amazing potential and the size to skate in the NHL already.

You can't ignore his size, even in the "new NHL". If Kane was #1, he would be the smallest 1st overall in quite some time. Tallon could easily look with envy at Anaheim's PPG line and make the decision that you can't overvalue size with skill for winning in the playoffs. Again, the NHL is a copycat league, and Chicago might dream of a JVR-Toews-Skille line leading them to glory several years hence.

I actually think the decision will come down to JVR or Turris, but that is just my opinion.

Stimpy

Aug 2, 2005
The Caps picked a total of 0 WHL players last year. I don't think that connection is a prevalent as it used to be.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
The Caps picked a total of 0 WHL players last year. I don't think that connection is a prevalent as it used to be.

No, but it has been quite strong in the past and suggests --to me anyway-- that they are more likely to take someone from the Dub than say the OHL. The fact is that the Caps need a stud minute-munching Dman if they want to build a franchise that isn't a Russian Globe Trotters... the WHL makes the best Dmen in the world, and Alzner is the best of that bunch this year. Again, we think it will come down to Cheri and Alzner ---flip a coin as to whom they will take I guess.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
The Kings have showed a ton of interest in Kyle Turris and most Kings fans are sure that he is number one in their rankings. They even invited Turris to meet with coach Marc Crawford at GM Place. The consensus with most Kings fans is that Lombardi will trade down and select a defensemen if Turris is OFF the board at #4. I'm 99% sure that they will select Turris if he is available at #4 and I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade up to get their man on draft day.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see the last sentence of you post until after I typed this.

No problem.

Interesting post... however it does not say much to me beyond the fact that they are doing their due-dilligence. In our scenario the Kings like Turris.... Edmonton just likes him more and antes up to get him.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Seconded. I would go nuts if they passed on Turris and traded down to get Cherepanov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->